• May 08, 2024, 01:21:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero 2015 S Throttle Re-Assembly  (Read 578 times)

Cjd000

• View Profile
Zero 2015 S Throttle Re-Assembly
« on: June 30, 2018, 02:51:00 PM »

Hi,

Fellow Zero owner here. I was attacked recently by gravity, broken collarbone but more importantly bent handlebars! I’ve replaced the bars but in taking the throttle off the old bars, i had to open up the assembly (due to the locator pin). Unfortunatly the unit came apart before i had a good chance to see how it goes together!

Does anybody have and pictures or assembly instructions as to how to assemble the throttle? I know it should be fairly easy and usually i have no problems with this sort of thing but it has me stumped. I’m at the point of suspecting i’ve lost a bit!

The throttle is a 2015 Zero S with the magnet.

Please help!?!

BamBam

• View Profile
Re: Zero 2015 S Throttle Re-Assembly
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 11:08:40 PM »

I had the throttle apart when I changed out the handlebars on my FXS so I feel your pain. You want to keep the two halves of the clam shell together as much as possible so the return spring doesn't pop out, but it sounds like you are beyond that point. The return spring is a royal PITA to get back in. I'll see if I might have some photos on my phone. The easiest way I've found to get the return spring (which is a coil type spring) to seat properly is the use a screw driver with a small notch cut in the end of the blade to catch the  end of the spring and rotate it around into position.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:16:12 PM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 11:37:01 PM »

Well I looked on my phone, but didn't see any photos of the throttle assembly. From what I remember, the return spring is the only part. The spring has a bend at the end that fits into a hole or notch in the throttle housing. I remember getting one end of the spring seated and then having to use the screwdriver with the notch to rotate the other end of the spring around to where it needed to seat. Here are a couple photos of the screwdriver I used.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 12:06:01 AM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:

Cjd000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 11:54:37 PM »

Thanks for the tip on the spring. The main head scratcher at the moment is the location of the magnet. I haven’t a clue how it’s seated with the rest of assembly, hence the hunt for photos.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 11:48:44 PM »

Harlan posted a helpful video of Bitron throttle re-assembly which we link from the manual:
https://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Throttle

Although the comments here sound helpful and I'll try to incorporate them.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 12:14:43 AM »

Thanks for the link Brian.  That's how I remember assembling mine.  There's really not much to it.  The key is getting the return spring to seat in the slot and that's where I found the screwdriver with the slot to be very helpful.  You can see in the video where Harlan had to make a few attempts to get the spring to seat with a regular screwdriver.  The slot in the end keeps the end of the spring from slipping off.

PS - if you are replacing the handlebars with non OEM ones then most likely the bars won't have the hole for the locator/locking pin that is on the inside of the throttle housing.  I found it a lot easier to just grind off the pin with a dremel than to try and drill a hole in the new bars.  The hole and pin are overkill and not really needed.  The throttle housing will clamp tight to the handlebars just fine without it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 12:23:55 AM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:
Pages: [1]