• May 14, 2024, 08:51:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2016 FXS  (Read 4136 times)

Spartacus

• View Profile
2016 FXS
« on: October 20, 2015, 08:10:36 PM »

I'm seriously considering doing what I can to get my hands on an FXS.  I'm being held back by the fact that I'd like to do the occasional trail riding.  Forest roads, etc.  Nothing particularly aggressive.  With a supermoto handle that kind of task?  If not, how expensive would it be to have an extra set of rims/nobbys to swap out for that kind of riding - and how big of a job is that kind of swap?  Is it something that can be done in an hour or two?

Thanks in advance,

J

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
Re: 2016 FXS
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 08:35:36 PM »

If you get a zero knobby tire spoked front wheel with the larger disk it will fit, of the top of my head you would be after the ds wheels

Personally I dont know if the 16 fxs are the ds, s or fx shocks on the front, if they are the ds or fx your good to go soon as you get the other set of wheels. I wouldn't put knobbies on the s forks and ride it off road, you could but don't get the front wheel of the ground to much, coming down hard or aggressive riding will, put a whooping on the older 14 fast ace stuff..... I'm sure showa will hold up better even put out of their realm
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

Spartacus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 09:16:12 PM »

If you get a zero knobby tire spoked front wheel with the larger disk it will fit, of the top of my head you would be after the ds wheels

So, would the idea be that I'd only need to swap out the front rim and tire to trail ride?

webster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 10:43:24 PM »

The front fork on the FSX has been lowered by 1.6 inches. The stock 21 inch front FX wheel may not work with the FSX fork. You should be able to run a 19 inch front wheel. I would contact Zero to confirm before purchasing your new ride. Swapping out the rear wheel with the belt drive might be more of a hassle than it's worth. 

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 11:25:13 PM »

You can get quite effective off road tyres for 17" rims. I had friends that raced supermoto and they always ran cut slicks even on tracks with dirt sections.

I used to run my KTM with an intermediate rear and wet front on the road and it worked great on light trail.

mguw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 12:07:13 AM »

Hi

Go for the FX,  it handles excellent on road, better then my previous KTM duke 690.  And you will love electric riding in the forest as, because of the silence, you will be welcome by hikers.
So you will go more often than anticipated.  I go now 2-3 times a week, while with my Yamaha WR I stopped since years...

Here a video of mine to show what I mean

A+ Marcel

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 02:54:43 AM »

Cool vid mguw it is amazingly quiet on the trails.  I really enjoyed your Goblin 380 video.  Maybe I should ride my Zero to France so you can fix my T-rex!  ;)

roma258

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 03:36:13 AM »

I have 2 buddies that do trail riding on their DRZ400SM, one swaps wheels, the other just rides trails with street tires and does just fine. If you're sticking to forest roads and not doing any gnarly single track, the FXS might be the way to go.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 03:47:02 AM »

Check this guy out, on full slicks!

evdjerome

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 04:16:42 AM »

Gaawwd. That guy is at one with his bike.

I ride rode tires on Forest Service roads with my 2012 DS. But I ride 'em like a grandpa. I used to have knobbies but my 90 mile round trip asphalt commute was eating them up. The main difference I've noticed riding the road tires on dirt is that I'm much less secure when I'm in mud. So now I just avoid going out right after it rains. I still do all the same rides I did when I had knobbies.

Check this guy out, on full slicks!

2015 Zero DS 14.4 (originally 12.5)
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

Ranga

• 2015 Zero FX 5.7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 09:45:57 PM »

So you want a more offroadable version of the FXS? First, trade the street tires for dual sport tires (personally I suggest Pirelli MT90s), and loose those cast wheels for wire rims. While you're at it, how about adding 2 inches of suspension travel to the forks. If only Zero offered a package like that, I'd get one in a heart beat. It's like an FXS but without the S.
2015 Zero FX

Coolio

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 11:18:48 PM »

So you want a more offroadable version of the FXS? First, trade the street tires for dual sport tires (personally I suggest Pirelli MT90s), and loose those cast wheels for wire rims. While you're at it, how about adding 2 inches of suspension travel to the forks. If only Zero offered a package like that, I'd get one in a heart beat. It's like an FXS but without the S.

Thats true but the question is will the new FXS IPM motor be worth the extra effort in changing the FXS back into the FX...

Ranga

• 2015 Zero FX 5.7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 11:48:55 PM »

Thats true but the question is will the new FXS IPM motor be worth the extra effort in changing the FXS back into the FX...

I have never experienced overheating on my FX, even on the freeway, so I doubt it. It's not like the FX became any less road worthy. The question should be: are there nearby trails that I want to ride on? If yes, FX. If no, FXS.
2015 Zero FX

webster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 01:06:17 AM »

Are you listening Zero?? People want the FX model with the IPM motor. It seams that it would be easier for you guys in manufacturing to deal with one platform. Just change wheels and the front fork for the FSX.

Spartacus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 01:55:47 AM »

Thanks, but that's not exactly what I'm after. Since I'll be on the street 85-90% of the time, I'm after a bike setup for the street but which I might be able to quickly convert to more dirt capable (and back again) from time to time for planned trail excursions. My understanding is that the FXS has both tires and suspension that are geared toward street riding. That's a plus for me in most scenarios.  I'm also short, so I kind of like the lower ride height even though I understand it sacrifices off-road ability.  For me though, thats not a big deal since I'm not going to be hitting triples or anything.
Pages: [1] 2