• May 10, 2024, 09:11:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New Calsci Windshields for Zero S, SR, DS, DSR  (Read 3051 times)

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
New Calsci Windshields for Zero S, SR, DS, DSR
« on: September 28, 2017, 04:20:23 AM »

I drove from Livermore to West Sacramento today (just under 100 miles) to pick up a windscreen for my new (for me, slightly used) 2016 CB500X. On their website (https://calsci.com/ ) they say they have screens "in testing" for Zeros. I asked about this. Mark showed me some brackets he's fabricated, but said they need a Zero for maybe an hour to test-fit. Hm ... so next Wednesday I'm planning to ride my SR to their shop. If anyone is closer to West Sacramento and/or is interested in CalSci wind screens please contact myself and Mark. If anyone happens to have free time next Wednesday and is interested an a couple of hundred miles ride from the bay area, let me know.

Sidebar: Mark has tons of interesting stories. At the bottom of their website you'll find links to Quantum Relativity, Neural Networks, etc. He also rescues German Shepherds -- his current duo are fantastic! It's worth a trip to tour his shop, including his home-made cutting lasers.

*moderator note* Hey all sorry for broken links at request of OP this topic has been merged with the newer update from Mark (of Cal Sci)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 02:14:24 AM by Shadow »
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: New Calsci Windshields for Zero S, SR, DS, DSR
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 04:48:33 AM »

I drove from Livermore to West Sacramento today (just under 100 miles) to pick up a windscreen for my new (for me, slightly used) 2016 CB500X. On their website (https://calsci.com/ ) they say they have screens "in testing" for Zeros. I asked about this. Mark showed me some brackets he's fabricated, but said they need a Zero for maybe an hour to test-fit. Hm ... so next Wednesday I'm planning to ride my SR to their shop. If anyone is closer to West Sacramento and/or is interested in CalSci wind screens please contact myself and Mark. If anyone happens to have free time next Wednesday and is interested an a couple of hundred miles ride from the bay area, let me know.
I might be interested in their windscreens, if they are better in some ways than the ones available from Zero.

By Wednesday, Oct 4,  I will be at my house in Auburn (which is well on the eastern side of Auburn,  several miles up the hill from exit 124 Dry Creek Road on I-80) where my 2017 SR is located. I will be there for several days.  That is  still quite a bit closer than you.  But I don't know about riding my electric bike down there as that would probably require some time for recharging and such. Any chance Mark (or whomever)  can come to my place in Auburn for their measurements, instead of me going to them?

Perhaps we can work something out.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 06:54:06 AM »

CalSci windscreens should be very good; I had contacted them in late 2016 about my dustbin fairing fitment but never got to an in-person fitment.

I wound up using a BMW R1200's CalSci windscreen to great effect but that was in concert with the dustbin. The slot in the windscreen does make a nice stabilizing effect on the airflow, so I expect they'll have a good touring windscreen, on par with Parabellum in terms of improving mileage and comfort.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

hiposw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 08:43:52 AM »

I live in Sacramento just over the river from West Sacramento. I would be happy to bring my Zero there next Wednesday. Do you know what time?

I will contact Mark tomorrow and let him know.
2015 DS
2018 DSR

gyrocyclist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 09:15:35 AM »

I live in Sacramento just over the river from West Sacramento. I would be happy to bring my Zero there next Wednesday. Do you know what time?

I will contact Mark tomorrow and let him know.
I expect to get there around 10:30. What model is your bike? Mine's a 2016 SR. Their website says they're "in testing" for S, SR, DS, DSR. If your bike works for fitting, I'd be happy to *not* play hooky and spend most of a day and 200+ miles on the road.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

hiposw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 11:13:27 PM »

I have a 2015 DS. I will plan on going there next Wednesday around 10:30. I am retired so I have plenty of time and would like to help out on this.
2015 DS
2018 DSR

hiposw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 12:58:02 AM »

I got a hold of Mark and I will be taking my DS in for a test fit so you don't have to make a trip from Livermore if you don't want to. I will post any info I get from him when I am done.
2015 DS
2018 DSR

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 02:44:20 AM »

Awesome, guys!  What windscreen did you get for your 2016 CB500X, gyrocyclist, and how much did you pay?
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 02:47:53 AM »

PS, everyone, you'll want to read at least the Aerodynamics section on the calsci site:

https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Fairing.html

gyrocyclist

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 05:48:10 AM »

Awesome, guys!  What windscreen did you get for your 2016 CB500X, gyrocyclist, and how much did you pay?
https://calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/CB500prod.html
After 1st test ride we lowered the windshield; it attaches to the stock mount, which has two positions, maybe an inch apart. Then Mark had me sit on the bike, looked at the fit, and said we should take off 1 1/2"  So he did, giving me a tour of the shop in the process. I think it may now be a tad short -- but I can always raise it to the higher setting :) I can't yet give a full report of how much I like it; during the next few weeks I'll try it in the raised position, then put on the stock screen, etc. (Also, I really want to get back on the Zero). The screen definitely provides more protection than stock. Driving to Sacramento and back convinced me the cb500X is great up to 75mph, but not really designed for 85. I rode mostly between 60 and 70mph, and was happily surprised to get 70 miles per gallon!
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 04:01:58 AM »

Let us know how the Zero Calsci visit goes, guys, which of their products they'll offer.

gyrocyclist

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 05:10:55 AM »

Let us know how the Zero Calsci visit goes, guys, which of their products they'll offer.
Since hiposw has a DS, and I have an SR, and I don't know if the windscreen fit/mounts will differ, I'm headed to Sacramento tomorrow. Will let you guys/gals know. Hm, might put in a 250 mile day ...
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

gyrocyclist

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 05:17:34 AM »

Both I and hiposw arrived at calsci yesterday around ten-ish. H. had to leave
for other appointments after an hour or so. I left around five-ish,  with a
prototype windscreen. Initial impression is positive, though there are a couple
of issues. Will pen a more complete report, with photos, in a week or two, after
spending more time with the new screen.

Does anyone have data on turning radius for "naked" S/SR/DS/DSR?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 05:25:25 AM by gyrocyclist »
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

marklawrence

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 09:51:33 PM »

All mounting hardware included.

Available in 4 heights and 3 widths.

https://calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Zeroprod.html

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2017, 10:13:01 PM »

Damn....my bike's getting a new windshield.

Which size is that? It appears to be tinted, though the website only mentions the "shorty" being tinted. Are they all tinted (or available tinted)?
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.
Pages: [1] 2 3