• May 12, 2024, 03:07:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rear Shock Spring Upgrade?  (Read 1265 times)

ElectricZen

• View Profile
Rear Shock Spring Upgrade?
« on: September 08, 2016, 12:19:24 PM »

Hi all!

I have 2016 DSR and have built my own rack for my Mosko Moto side bags with a Givi top case.  I am 200lbs before gear.  I noticed the suspension to be a little soft, which is understandable due to the preset being for a 180lbs. rider.  I held off adjusting the suspension until I had all my luggage accessories sorted out.  I popped into a reputable motorcycle shop, (they do custom, race and adventure) to tap into their experience to adjust my suspension.  Long story short, it made a HUGE difference.  Like riding a new bike.

However, it was suggested that I might want to look for a stiffer spring for my rear shock(front as well, maybe) as I have "tapped out" its effective stiffness if I wanted to load down the bike with gear and/or a passenger.  So, my question is "has anyone done this?" and does this make sense for my scenario?  The logic seems sound to me and I couldn't find anything definitive from a couple of forum searches. 

So, I am hoping to tap into the wealth of experience here on the forums for advice or point me in the right direction.  Web searches are proving frustrating.   What size or model spring am I looking for and what is the stock Rate(kg/mm or N/mm)? 

Thanks in advance for any input!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 12:21:00 PM by ElectricZen »

MrDude_1

• View Profile
Re: Rear Shock Spring Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 06:56:46 PM »

I respring every bike I get... lol
Since the spring just supports the weight and is good for a "range" of weights it doesnt have to be exact... so I call Factory Connection.  http://www.factoryconnection.com/
They either have the exact spring I want... or they make a custom one.  Its surprisingly cheap.
For example, I am heavy and I ride aggressively on my CR500 supermoto and I prefer a stiffer fork. They didnt have a set of fork springs that would work for me. So they made a custom set for me. That with one of their off the shelf shock springs transformed the bike.

Even though they specialize in dirt, they will have a spring for the zero, or make one. Its best to talk to them on the phone, their website barely scratches what they actually will do for customers.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 02:28:03 AM »

EZen, I assume you played with the damping adjustments? They have a huge impact on my SR. I am 200lb  naked as well. The rear, with 0 preload, I feel is fine or perhaps just a smidgen too soft for me with no more than 20lb load (top box and a computer bag in it), but if I load the box with say 50lb, it is too soft. With a 160lb passenger, it is pretty much maxed out.

The front is stiffer than ideal for me even at 0 preload, so you probably will be fine just adjusting the preload on the front to deal with you and load.
'15 Zero SR

ElectricZen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 03:56:39 AM »

I respring every bike I get... lol
Since the spring just supports the weight and is good for a "range" of weights it doesnt have to be exact... so I call Factory Connection.  http://www.factoryconnection.com/
They either have the exact spring I want... or they make a custom one.  Its surprisingly cheap.
For example, I am heavy and I ride aggressively on my CR500 supermoto and I prefer a stiffer fork. They didnt have a set of fork springs that would work for me. So they made a custom set for me. That with one of their off the shelf shock springs transformed the bike.

Even though they specialize in dirt, they will have a spring for the zero, or make one. Its best to talk to them on the phone, their website barely scratches what they actually will do for customers.
Thanks MrDude!  This is very helpful!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ElectricZen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 04:07:28 AM »

EZen, I assume you played with the damping adjustments? They have a huge impact on my SR. I am 200lb  naked as well. The rear, with 0 preload, I feel is fine or perhaps just a smidgen too soft for me with no more than 20lb load (top box and a computer bag in it), but if I load the box with say 50lb, it is too soft. With a 160lb passenger, it is pretty much maxed out.

The front is stiffer than ideal for me even at 0 preload, so you probably will be fine just adjusting the preload on the front to deal with you and load.

Yes, fellas at the shop played with the adjustments.  The front dampening had to be turned up almost all the way to remove the rebound bounce.  The adjustments they made at the shop, completely changed my bike! 

Same as you with just myself and gear with a few things, the suspension is perfect, now.  Add additional weight from camping stuff and a passenger, the boys at the shop predicted that I would exceed the capability of my rear suspension.  They did mention for a dual sport that I would want to have Spring that could manage all that and a little extra for robustness.  Which seems logical for dual sport.

Thanks for your reply! Very helpful!

laramie LC4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 06:57:43 AM »

i'm saving my pennies to have my suspension done by my guy. although the showa suspension is  a huge upgrade, the valving and springs are woefully under-done for any real serious rider. good news is now that it is "showa"  my suspension tuner was certain he could acquire all parts/springs needed. he also had a huge smile on his face after i let him take a test ride.

my current set-up; proper sag front and back, all adjustments turned all the way OUT rebound and compression. it's almost tolerable, or i'm just adjusting to it, but i cant wait to get it done right. this bike is awesome as is, with a proper set up of suspension it's gonna be unstoppable.

just my $.02,

laters,

laramie  ;)
ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC

ElectricZen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 12:44:21 AM »

i'm saving my pennies to have my suspension done by my guy. although the showa suspension is  a huge upgrade, the valving and springs are woefully under-done for any real serious rider. good news is now that it is "showa"  my suspension tuner was certain he could acquire all parts/springs needed. he also had a huge smile on his face after i let him take a test ride.

my current set-up; proper sag front and back, all adjustments turned all the way OUT rebound and compression. it's almost tolerable, or i'm just adjusting to it, but i cant wait to get it done right. this bike is awesome as is, with a proper set up of suspension it's gonna be unstoppable.

just my $.02,

laters,

laramie  ;)

I agree!  Seems we are in the same boat.  Thanks for confirming this for me.  At first I was a little shocked.  One would think a North American motorcycle manufacturer would have had the North American rider in mind.  Regardless, I suppose this is a very personal thing, hard to gauge who exactly is going to riding the bike. 

SoundMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 01:59:40 AM »

Where are you folks having your suspension work done?
Can you recommend someone in the San Jose, CA area please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 02:14:24 AM »

Where are you folks having your suspension work done?
Can you recommend someone in the San Jose, CA area please.

Google says that Evolution Motorcycles is near you. I may make an appointment with them, too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=motorcycle+suspension+tuning+bay+area
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

SoundMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 03:04:47 AM »

Thanks Brian, I'll look into using them. See you tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]