• May 05, 2024, 01:42:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New SR Owner -- What do you wish you knew right after you bought your first Zero  (Read 3592 times)

ultrarnr

• View Profile

Something that new Zero owners should know about Eco mode: It takes away your ability to accelerate away from a dangerous situation. For example if you are passing a car on a four lane highway and they start coming into your lane your only option will be to brake hard because Eco mode will mute your acceleration so much you have no chance of get a accelerating away from the car.

Doug S

• View Profile

Something that new Zero owners should know about Eco mode: It takes away your ability to accelerate away from a dangerous situation.

I agree completely. And there's no real benefit to Eco mode either -- you can accomplish everything Eco mode does for you by simply exercising some restraint with your right wrist. Except, when you need to accelerate to get out of trouble, or just to get around a semi to hit your offramp, you can do it.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Burton

• View Profile

I agree completely. And there's no real benefit to Eco mode either -- you can accomplish everything Eco mode does for you by simply exercising some restraint with your right wrist. Except, when you need to accelerate to get out of trouble, or just to get around a semi to hit your offramp, you can do it.

No use for eco mode? Guess you haven't ridden your bike in snow yet ;)

I used eco mod this winter on several icy days after dropping the bike going up a very small ramp at slow controlled speed in sport mode.
I had my eco mode set up on 50% torque (actual number not what you see in app) and modified the clutch regen lever to be softer as well.

This makes it a lot harder to spin out on ice / snow when riding ... even if you hit a bump.

Now spring is here I just keep it in sport mode ;)
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

Yeah, I too use Eco mode all during our wet season to avoid traction problems. I do have a 2013 model which means I have boosted Eco torque a bit, and removed the speed restriction so I can easily escape cars. But it has a use.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MichaelJohn

• View Profile

I use Eco mode often for moving around in tight spots. Sure it's possible in Sport mode, but the softer response is much easier to deal with when you're maneuvering slowly. I also use it whenever it's wet after I had a scary fishtail in Sport mode. I'm definitely glad that Eco mode is there.
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser

BikerJared

• View Profile

I use Eco mode often for moving around in tight spots. Sure it's possible in Sport mode, but the softer response is much easier to deal with when you're maneuvering slowly. I also use it whenever it's wet after I had a scary fishtail in Sport mode. I'm definitely glad that Eco mode is there.

This has been the biggest thing for me when comparing this bike to my Harley. The Harley has a very sensitive throttle response which makes slow-speed maneuvering a lot easier. The SR is harder to work with. I have a Custom program that has 5% torque just for this.

Fun question for comparing Eco/Sport -- does anybody know if your brake lights go on during regenerative slowing? I set that at 100% in a custom program and its like hitting your brakes. I could see that causing an accident if no lights come on.

Chocula

• View Profile

I don't know about the Zero specifically, but I suspect it does not.

For my Brammo Empluse R, I added one of these.  http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/vololights-volomod-brakeless-deceleration-indicator

Burton

• View Profile

Treat your "regen" like "engine breaking" you would do on an ICE bike and activate the brake lights yourself. It isn't hard to do :)

I actually prefer to have this control because I don't want to constantly be flashing my 60 red LED array linked to a Skene's Design IQ160 into the persons eyes behind me every time I lightly tap my regen lever.

There is a setting inside the Sevcon controller to activate break lights on "regen" but I never tested to see if it worked.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Doug S

• View Profile

-- does anybody know if your brake lights go on during regenerative slowing? I set that at 100% in a custom program and its like hitting your brakes. I could see that causing an accident if no lights come on.

I've always assumed the regen kicks in WHEN the brake lights go on. There are no sensors on the front or rear brakes that I'm aware of, other than the lever travel switches that turn on the brake light, so I assumed they piggy-back off the brake light to trigger the "braking" level regen.

Does anybody know if that is or isn't correct? I've just always assumed so.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles

What do you mean 'scan first to unlock'? Also, do you guys just google something like "charging stations" or something or are there other resources you use?

I signed up for ChargePoint and got a card (Which I knew to do before I bought my first Zero)
I downloaded the app to find Charging Stations(Which I knew to do before I bought my first Zero)

The first few times I stopped at a charging stations I could not open them - and figured they were out of order.
I couldn't even get the charging cable out of the station they would not budge - lucky they are built tough, I might have brooken it.

It turned out you need to scan your card and the door unlocks - and the cable unlocks  (Which I Wish I knew right after I bought my first Zero)
It also turns out that not every charging station is a Level 1 charging station (Which I Wish I knew right after I bought my first Zero)

BikerJared

• View Profile

Hmm. The ones at work are level 2 charge point chargers. I was able to get a card but I need an adapter to use it.

Thier iPhone app is buggy and won't let me create an account. I'll have to try their website.

m0t0-ryder

• View Profile

I've always assumed the regen kicks in WHEN the brake lights go on. There are no sensors on the front or rear brakes that I'm aware of, other than the lever travel switches that turn on the brake light, so I assumed they piggy-back off the brake light to trigger the "braking" level regen.

Does anybody know if that is or isn't correct? I've just always assumed so.

Regen happens (at a set/specific level for each mode) when you roll off the throttle.
When the brakes are applied the bike senses this (through the brake light circuitry) and increases the regen level.
I cannot remember the amount of regen used at throttle roll off and then brake application.
I believe this was in the FAQ page on the Zero website (which, unfortunately doesn't seem to be there anymore).

If you (or anyone) cares to know the amount of regen used at throttle roll off and then brake application I would suggest calling Zero Customer Support. Be sure to ask the levels in each mode (ECO, Sport and Custom) as they will be different.

ultrarnr

• View Profile

If you want to find charging stations just go to Plugshare.com. They also have an app. Chargepoint is great since you can see through their app how much power you are charging at. Very easy to know when you are done charging without having to go back to your bike.

scouter888

• View Profile

Yeah, I too use Eco mode all during our wet season to avoid traction problems. I do have a 2013 model which means I have boosted Eco torque a bit, and removed the speed restriction so I can easily escape cars. But it has a use.

How'd you remove the speed restriction?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

How'd you remove the speed restriction?

The 2013 allows programming the Eco mode and Sport mode, so I did that, but accessing the firmware settings should also work, obviously with more effort.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: 1 [2] 3