• May 05, 2024, 12:03:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hollywood Electrics-modified Zero FX fastest e-bike up Pike's Peak!  (Read 2218 times)

LiveandLetDrive

• View Profile
    • If you must cage, cage well.

And maybe better still, fastest first sector of all motorcycles!  Surprised I'm the firs tto post this:

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2014/07/02/events/jeff-clark-fastest-electric-motorcycle-pikes-peak-year

Mmmmm, liquid-cooled motor...  Now that I'm fitting the RC2 rear shock and Lindemann/Hollywood modified front forks, the motor overheating is about the only weakness I very badly want to address.  I might try a duct and/or 120mm computer fan in the interim.

First Supermoto in Stockton 7/20 following my first-ever motorcycle trackday (on the gas bike)!  Maybe I need to get some tartan vinyl and call it a Pike's Peak replica edition...
2013 Zero FX, 2005 Triumph Sprint ST, 2000 Triumph Tiger, 1970 Triumph T100R Daytona, 1970 Honda SL100  (Latter three for sale!)

trikester

• View Profile
Re: Hollywood Electrics-modified Zero FX fastest e-bike up Pike's Peak!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 12:00:02 AM »

I was so lazy after the week at Pikes Peak I didn't get around to posting anything about it. It was a fantastic week for me as one of Jeff's pit crew members through all of the four days of practice runs, meetings, etc.

Also on two different days I rode my e-trike conversion to the top during the public open time. That was a blast! Lots of other folks took my trike for a spin that week and I got to meet others of the regular forum posters. It was a great group of electric motorcycle people!

Attached is a photo of the crew just before loading up the bike after the race. Harlan is on the left and I'm fourth from him. Jeff Clark, our intrepid racer is in the middle next to me and anchoring the other end is Brandon (Electric Cowboy).

Trikester

Biff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 11:36:32 AM »

And maybe better still, fastest first sector of all motorcycles!  Surprised I'm the firs tto post this:

The fastest in sector 1 statement is a little mis-leading, I am actually not sure exactly what bikes they were talking about in that staement, but there were plenty of other motorcycles faster than the Zero in sector 1.

http://livetiming.net/ppihc/

the 2:05 first sector is right in-line with the rest of the competitors that had around 12 minute total times (maybe 11:40)

I have raced supermoto, mini-bike kart track (gp-style), and big track road racing with the stock Zero motor.  The FX / XU motor does get hot pretty quickly but is still fun to ride on the track as a beginner, but the MX motor handles supermoto quite competently.

Here is a video of me on a 2013 XU at laguna Seca (I did a 2:02 lap on that bike if I remember correctly, but after that lap my times dropped off as the motor heat was causing power cut backs). That Video was recorded from the back of a Zero S. That XU was bone stock (except for black plastics), stock tires and everything (I think the chargers and kick stand were still on too)

Here is a video from my helmet at a Supermoto USA event at Prairie City a few weeks ago. The only modifications to the bike are Zero S wheels with some used Pirelli supercorsa tires and Zero DS front forks (to fit the larger brake rotor on the S wheels).  The motor is stock MX.  A more skilled rider had another MX at that race, but crashed out and injured himself in his first main, so we didn't know how well it was actually going to do at that race, the fast rider didn't complain about power reduction due to temperature during practice or his qualifying heat, he was certainly mixing it up with good riders on highly modified 450's.

-ryan

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 01:38:41 AM »

Hey guys. Thanks for posting! It was great having you up there trikester. We're hoping to get more bikes and people involved for next year!

Just wanted to clarify the fastest Sector 1 time was for the Exhibition Powersports and Electric class. You can see in the attached pic that I snapped of the live timing screen, Jeff's S1 time is highlighted because it is the fastest one that has run at that point. Guy Martin is leading the pack at this point with fastest S2, S3 and S4 times.

We had a great weekend. We met our goal of beating last years time but unfortunately our gearing was not optimal for the course and we lost a bit of time for that. We're looking forward to returning next year and hope you'll all join us!
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 01:53:57 AM »

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there were no Lightnings entered this year in the open division, were there?

What a shame. Since their overall victory last year failed to break the motorcycle record, I was hoping they could do it this year. That would be QUITE a milestone -- fastest motorcycle, ever, of any kind, in a major race.

Just a matter of time.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 03:58:10 AM »

The only consistent thing about Lightning and racing is that they're not consistent.

Lightning had one of the very fastest, most experienced riders on their bike last year. If they weren't able to get a similar caliber rider this year, I don't think they'd have gained much from showing up to be honest. Greg Tracy was racing a Mitsubishi full prototype car up the mountain this year; he became the first racer to complete sub-10 minute ascents on both two (Ducati Multistrada) and four wheels (Mitsubishi prototype electric). Maybe next year he will come back for an attempt on a two-wheeled electric.. but it'd need to be fast. Brammo, Mission, MotoCzysz, Lightning?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 09:43:08 AM »

but it'd need to be fast. Brammo, Mission, MotoCzysz, Lightning?

Or a Harlan-Zero.

Trikester
Pages: [1]