• May 04, 2024, 07:16:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Local Dealer closes and terminates all zero motorcycles activity (what to do?)  (Read 650 times)

KuRi

• View Profile

Hi!

My local dealer has decided to finish their business with zero (because of the current economic situation) and the closest dealer I can go is +250km...

I have done almost 7000km with my dsr 2020 and it is time for the first big maintenance check. I have learnt to adjust the belt by myself and I swapped the tires recently so I am only concerned about the electronic checks the dealer must accomplish.

Zero says that they are waiting for other dealer to open a shop near my city but they don't know when this will happen... or if it will happen...

Can you please tell me if I should stop using my bike or if I can continue even if I get 10.000km before this check? My only chance is to rent a truck to bring the bike to the closest dealer.

Thanks, as usual!
Regards.
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

Richard230

• View Profile

I can't think of any reason for you to not continue to ride your Zero. Your owner's manual tells you how to do every chassis maintenance procedure. Changing tires and the drive belt are likely the hardest things to do. With any luck your belt should last about 24K miles. The only thing the dealer can do that you can't is to "commission" the motor and I am not convinced that is really necessary unless you start to experience unusual performance issues.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile

Ouch.  Yeah, except for firmware issues and major hardware rebuild, there's nothing special you need from a dealer.

Tires, belt, brakes, shocks are all standard bike stuff.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile

Hi!

My local dealer has decided to finish their business with zero (because of the current economic situation) and the closest dealer I can go is +250km...

I have done almost 7000km with my dsr 2020 and it is time for the first big maintenance check. I have learnt to adjust the belt by myself and I swapped the tires recently so I am only concerned about the electronic checks the dealer must accomplish.

Zero says that they are waiting for other dealer to open a shop near my city but they don't know when this will happen... or if it will happen...

Can you please tell me if I should stop using my bike or if I can continue even if I get 10.000km before this check? My only chance is to rent a truck to bring the bike to the closest dealer.

Thanks, as usual!
Regards.
Both of my Zeros have around 12,000 miles / 20 Km  and neither have ever had any "electronic checks" on them. No motor commissioning or anything like that. They both still run like new.

I would  stop riding when I notice a problem. Any problem with the performance. For an example,  I have heard of one rider  who lost regen just a day before a major breakdown.

As long as it rides as well as it did when new, and  notice no differences,  I wouldn't worry about it. However, YMMV.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

KuRi

• View Profile

Many thanks for all the comments. Yes, I was only worried about the commissioning of the motor but the bike still rides perfectly as new.

BTW what is the commissioning of the motor? Is it just connecting the bike to a computer and pressing a button? :D

Cheers!!!
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile

BTW what is the commissioning of the motor? Is it just connecting the bike to a computer and pressing a button? :D
It's measuring the alignment of the magnetic markers on the motor to the coils.  It's so the controller gives the right pattern of AC power to the motor to accelerate or decelerate.  How they do it, I don't know.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Richard230

• View Profile

It's measuring the alignment of the magnetic markers on the motor to the coils.  It's so the controller gives the right pattern of AC power to the motor to accelerate or decelerate.  How they do it, I don't know.

-Crissa

I am still trying to understand why the new version of the Zero motor needs to be commissioned every 8K miles, while the older version of the motor, like the one in my daughter's 2014 S, apparently does not. My understanding (which could be wrong) is that the major change to the two different motor designs is that the old motor had its permanent magnets stuck to the motor shell to keep the magnets cooler, with the electrical coils were on the motor shaft. However the new design has the magnetic coils stuck to the motor shell to keep them cooler, with the permanent magnets located on the motor shaft. Why the old design didn't need motor "commissioning" but the new design does is a mystery to me that I have never seen explained by Zero. The one thing that it does seem to do (if you follow Zero's service recommendation) for sure is to keep the Zero owner visiting their dealer's shop occasionally, which is no doubt a good thing for their dealers, as well as possibly a good thing for the Zero owner, depending upon their level of chassis maintenance competency. 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

princec

• View Profile

It doesn't do any favours for one of the major USPs of Zero ownership which is the total lack of servicing costs. Or not, as it would seem.

Cas :)

DonTom

• View Profile

Many thanks for all the comments. Yes, I was only worried about the commissioning of the motor but the bike still rides perfectly as new.

Cheers!!!
No, I hear they do it is on line with the Zero factory using a screen that only the Zero dealers can excess. The way it is done, it is not possible for a dealer to screw it up.  They simply align  marks  up together on a screen while communicating with the Zero factory. I have never seen it being done, but I have talked to one person who has.

But I think they are discovering the bikes rarely go out of commission, unless something such as the motor is changed.  When they first come up with maintenance schedules,  IMO, they are often only guessing at first. For an example, it is in writing that my battery coolant in my Tesla should be changed every five years.  Now, after many Teslas  are past that five year mark, they are saying to never change it, unless there is work being done in a related area. Now they say  it should last the life of the car.

-Don-   Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile

Yeah, unless something is wrong, the bikes shouldn't go out of commission.  But your belt shouldn't slip and the motor mounts shouldn't come loose and the triple-tree should need tightening but sometimes it does.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Fifty3

• View Profile

I am curious to know; what dealer?  The dealer where I took my fxs last summer seemed to be pretty dis-enchanted with Zero maintenance processes.  i.e. the dealer technician is helpless without the factory connection.  They had no problems with selling them, but all of the time-consuming logistics involved with connecting to the factory in a different time zone made a simple process extraordinarily difficult.  I would not be at all surprised to learn that it was my dealer.
Pages: [1]