• May 08, 2024, 05:40:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Zero's been watching us (windscreen)  (Read 6025 times)

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: Zero's been watching us (windscreen)
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 06:47:43 PM »

Took it for a test ride but I'm afraid I'm a little too tall for it, I get battered with wind while riding :(
Here's a quick and dirty fluid dynamic:

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 07:07:47 PM »

Is your helmet getting hit? If it works anything like the screens on my Vectrix, it can actually be worse in terms of wind than without a screen! On the Vectrix I had 3 screen sizes. The "regular" and the "winter" protected my body fine, but they were both unbearable on my head. The smallest "sport" screen was much better - my shoulders and helmet were not protected, but it was not creating bad turbulence for my helmet either, and my chest was protected.

I could only ride the tall winter screen with a 5" extension, and it was very good then, but looked ridiculously high and flopped about in the wind too much.

When my screen arrives for the Zero, if it is creating helmet turbulence if I can't extend it up enough, I might chop off the top to shorten it to become a "sport" screen size...
'15 Zero SR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 07:12:20 PM »

Can you duck down behind it to get full protection for your head? Or is it too close?
'15 Zero SR

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 08:39:26 PM »

I can duck down but that is a good position on longer rides, I don't mind the wind without the screen but the buffering is just too much for me.
I did get a better Wh/km but the tradeoff is to high for me, looks like I'm back on the hunt for a full tour fairing again.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 12:25:27 AM »

Took it for a test ride but I'm afraid I'm a little too tall for it, I get battered with wind while riding :(

Too bad it's not quite working for you. The short distance forward and down from the rider's helmet makes good windscreen design constrained.

How did you produce the animation?
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 08:29:44 AM »

Mine came today a d I just installed it. Haven't ridden it yet. If the clamps are reversed and the little tubes swapped from left to right too, I think there is an option to mount it further forward by a couple of inches and higher too. But it would require removing the cable ties and possibly swiveling the front brake line just a little bit forward to make room for mounting the clamps 180 degrees from how you (and I) have them right now.

It seems I did mount mine in front of the turn signals, yours seems to be above/behind them. There is quite a bit of adjustability with this screen, but requires a lot of fiddling with 6 bolts simultaneously while someone is holding the screen for you :( 

Will take it out tomorrow if the weather is good.

One more observation, the plastic is fairly thin on this screen. Don't think it will be an issue for it, but I don't think it is sturdy enough to install an extension on the top.

Edit: you have a DS(R) and I have an SR - maybe this is why yours is higher over the turn signals - I think the handlebars on the DS(R) are taller than on the S(R)

I can duck down but that is a good position on longer rides, I don't mind the wind without the screen but the buffering is just too much for me.
I did get a better Wh/km but the tradeoff is to high for me, looks like I'm back on the hunt for a full tour fairing again.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:31:37 AM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 08:37:10 AM »

Did you have to remove the cable ties to put the clamps so close to the mirrors? I think I will do it that way too tomorrow (right now I've got it mounted lower, below the bend on the handlebars). That would position it further forward and higher than it is right now. I also wonder if the holders for the rods can be swapped from the left side to right to even further extend the reach of the screen forward a little more?

I'm 5'6" and not all, but a lot of air is going over my head.  Ride is a lot quieter and if I have the visor cracked, then I'm not getting blasted on the freeway.  No buffeting. 

For me, it was very uncomfortable to ride over 70 before.

Love it.

The Zero screens are not cheap and the design of the big one is busy.
'15 Zero SR

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 12:00:35 PM »

Mine came today a d I just installed it. Haven't ridden it yet. If the clamps are reversed and the little tubes swapped from left to right too, I think there is an option to mount it further forward by a couple of inches and higher too. But it would require removing the cable ties and possibly swiveling the front brake line just a little bit forward to make room for mounting the clamps 180 degrees from how you (and I) have them right now.

It seems I did mount mine in front of the turn signals, yours seems to be above/behind them. There is quite a bit of adjustability with this screen, but requires a lot of fiddling with 6 bolts simultaneously while someone is holding the screen for you :( 

Will take it out tomorrow if the weather is good.

One more observation, the plastic is fairly thin on this screen. Don't think it will be an issue for it, but I don't think it is sturdy enough to install an extension on the top.

Edit: you have a DS(R) and I have an SR - maybe this is why yours is higher over the turn signals - I think the handlebars on the DS(R) are taller than on the S(R)

I did indeed replace the cable ties when mounting the screen, do you have a photo of your setup?

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 07:15:18 AM »

Here is mine. I'm not quite happy where the brackets are on the handlebars, as they are over a transition point. Will likely move them and redo the cable ties.

'15 Zero SR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 07:15:59 AM »

Side view
'15 Zero SR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 10:00:10 PM »

I did ride it today on the highway. It definitely offers protection for my torso up to my collarbones or so. It does increase wind to my helmet only a little bit and there is no buffeting like I had with my Vectrix screens. But I still need to duck behind it if I want protection for my head, and while I can do it, the position is not really comfortable for more than a couple of miles at a time. For reference, again, I'm 6'4". I think this screen will work well for short riders and it certainly works well as a "sports screen" for tall ones - just don't expect head and shoulder protection in an upright position if you are tall.

There is no protection for the arms and hands. It does protect the instrument panel and other items you may have mounted on the handlebars.

Looks like light will be reflected off it from the headlight, so not sure if it is good for night riding - haven't tried it yet at night.

I still need to play with alternative placements and angles to see if I can improve things some. But the screen is hard to adjust, so it will take some time to settle on the best position.
'15 Zero SR

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 11:41:43 PM »

Thanks for the posts guys, I've just ordered one myself! :)

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2016, 04:32:47 AM »

I mounts it differently today. Higher and more upright. It is terrible this way! Lots of buffeting on my head. A short person might be able to completely hide behind it comfortably in this position, but for me it is much worse than my first attempt. Will re-install it like it was before.

'15 Zero SR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2016, 04:39:57 AM »

View from rear
'15 Zero SR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2016, 05:13:29 AM »

I think you have it mounted like I did in my last attempt. Indeed, pretty bad this way for us tall guys. Try mounting it lower, more forward, and at a slight angle - like I did it the first time. See what you think. The head is completely out of the windscreen flow that way, but there is no buffeting and most of the torso is still protected...

Anyway, I dropped the bike at the dealership for a warranty repair, so I won't be experimenting in the next few days any more.

'15 Zero SR
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4