• May 08, 2024, 01:58:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Zero's been watching us (windscreen)  (Read 6024 times)

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Re: Zero's been watching us (windscreen)
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2016, 12:15:46 AM »

My screen arrived the other day and thanks to all your photos, I managed to fit it.

Here are a few points I've found:

I had trouble attaching the clamps to the handlebars. When using the rubber spacers, I couldn't get the clamp together enough. It meant that the screw presented to the thread at an angle and cross threaded. I therefore had to take the spacers out but bare metal on bare metal meant there wasn't enough grip. The clamps moved at speed and the screen tilted back.

I wasn't keen on the clamps going over the cables running from the throttle and controls, especially when the clamps weren't gripping enough. I don't fancy any of those cables breaking.

The plastic is quite thin and flexed at speed.

I found the top of the screen to be a bit intrusive on my view and a bit distracting.  It felt a bit too close to my face too.

The screen prevents my mirrors from folding up. I should have thought about that. Unfortunately I need to fold them every day to get my bike through a narrow alley into my garden.  I could still fold them forward and just make it through, but it was awkward.

I put a cover over my bike at night. I didn't try it with this tall screen, but I imagine it would lift the bottom of the cover off the ground.

The biggest problem by far was the wind noise. It starts as a dull roar just over 20 mph and just gets louder. It was starting to give me a headache on my way home from work and that's with earplugs.

If I give this screen another go, I'll have to chop a fair bit off the top. Hopefully that'll help with the rigidity too.

As you've probably guessed, the screen only got one outing and I've taken it off already. It was cheap, so I'm not surprised really.

I'm sure it'll work for some but I felt I should list those potential issues. The screen on my Fazer worked well. It wasn't big but it kept enough wind off my chest to stop me getting cold during winter.

With my Zero, I'm not doing routes that keep me at high speeds for any great length of time.  That's simply due to range and the nature of my commute.

It's probably worth taking a closer look at Zero's offering if a screen is really important to you. Hopefully someone will post a review of it at some stage.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2016, 01:22:26 AM »

My screen came with two sets of rubbery spacers: the "thin" set worked perfectly if I install the brackets on the wider portion of the handlebars (near the center), and the "thick" spacer worked perfectly for the narrower portion of the handlebars (near the grips). Did yours come with those too? Also, you got to position the brackets on the sections of the handlebars that are straight, not at the bends.

If you look at my first photos and my last photos, you can see two different ways to mount the screen. The first way, more forward, and more angled back, was not bad at all. No turbulence for my head, so no increased noise at my helmet. But it was low for me, only protecting my lower chest and torso. Much better than without it, but no protection for my head and shoulders. But no buffeting either. The second try had the screen more upright, and higher. That is unbearable, tons of noise since the wind is more broken-up and hits my helmet in a bad spot.

So positioning the screen in terms of height, angle, and fore-aft position is very important. From your description, you are not as tall as I am, so probably the wind is hitting you in the wrong spot. Try to mount it lower, more forward, and more angled towards you. If that does not help, cutting a few inches off the top might help (but won't protect your head and shoulders.

Bu the way, my screen's brackets are very secure once mounted - no movement at all. And the screen being a bit on the thin side did not seem to create issues either (except I'd be hesitant to use an extension clipped on top of it).
'15 Zero SR

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2016, 01:35:00 AM »

Thanks Kocho. It sounds like I should give it another try.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2016, 01:39:11 AM »

I wasn't keen on the clamps going over the cables running from the throttle and controls, especially when the clamps weren't gripping enough. I don't fancy any of those cables breaking.
Don't put the clamps over the cables, cut the zip ties and redo them afterwards.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2016, 02:06:27 AM »

That's right, don't clamp over anything!

Don't put the clamps over the cables, cut the zip ties and redo them afterwards.
'15 Zero SR

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2016, 02:20:09 AM »

Thanks Kocho. It sounds like I should give it another try.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2016, 02:22:11 AM »

Double posted somehow. Thanks Kocho and Erasmo.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2016, 02:42:23 AM »

Here is a quick and dirty picture of my situation atm:

If I decide to keep the screen I will get a black zip tie of course.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2016, 03:04:38 AM »

Aha! Very helpful, thanks. :)

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2016, 10:49:00 AM »

By the sound of this thread, Zero has been watching, but the Asia import special has them beat.

I did not like the design of the Zero wind shields.  The small one is too small, the big one is does not look well integrated and has that extra deflector which I dont like the looks of.  Both are expensive.  The Asia special is a good price and its low enough to be OK if it does not work out. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 08:52:23 PM by Killroy »

GrantMeStrength

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2016, 03:58:28 AM »

By the sound of this thread, Zero has been watching, but the Asia import special has them beat.

Or not. Looks like the non-Zero ones are tricky to fit properly and offer mixed results?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2016, 07:27:30 PM »

Or not. Looks like the non-Zero ones are tricky to fit properly and offer mixed results?

You can't just slap any old windscreen on and expect good results, but MRA has different mount options and screen designs worth trying. I found it worth taking time on to get a much better result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2016, 10:05:38 AM »

My HK special is not perfect, but my experience is much better than MostlyBonkers.

Its easy to install and works great.  The wind is not a huge issue anymore.  I'm 5'6".  Shape could fit the zero better and the brackets could be better, but its a good value. 

It was rock solid until it moved the other day. 

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2016, 06:21:49 AM »

Brian's screen is well worth checking out.  I'll have another go with my one towards the winter. Having the airflow is nice when it's warm.  I only get really soaked about half a dozen times a year, so I'm not that bothered. My blubber helps me with the cold. There's nothing like a bad diet to keep you warm... ;-)

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2016, 12:50:31 AM »

This screen is wider on the bottom and narrower on top. This offers limited protection for the torso and none for the arms. The bottom still is not wide enough to protect my hands or knees. So it occurred to me to try and mount it upside-down. This way it looks more like the MRA/Zero screens, which are wider on top.

I think it actually looks good upside down with the wide section on top, and I think it offers better protection than when mounted narrow-side up. Plus it does not get so close to the turn signals.

Photos attached.

'15 Zero SR
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4