• May 07, 2024, 10:45:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Does the motor act like a clutch on hill starts?  (Read 1197 times)

clay.leihy

• View Profile
Re: Does the motor act like a clutch on hill starts?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 12:23:59 AM »

Potboiler, I suspect by "extra stability", you mean you would like to eliminate that awkward moment of footwork/handwork/balance required to start a gas bike on a hill without stalling or falling over. The e-bike largely removes that problem, as well as the couple of foot swaps required if the gas bike is taken out of gear.

That said, use your rear brake to hold the bike on an uphill and front brake to hold it on a downhill. Just as the front wheel is often quoted at 70% of the traction for stopping forward motion, the back wheel has most of the traction for stopping backward motion. Stopping with the front brake on a steep uphill is a slippery prospect, especially when wet or sandy.

One reason I installed a rear brake left-hand lever. There is a 30-40 degree grassy slope leading up to my back gate and if I have to stop using the front brake it just slides backwards (really scary!)  Also, I can stop with either foot down at an intersection, depending on which is more stable (5'8" with short legs on an FX). The rear brake is much more effective and I have finer control using hand rather than foot. My foot pedal mechanism is completely removed now and I am much happier riding it like this. I suppose it helps that my previous bike was a Honda Silverwing scooter.
Clay
DoD #2160,6
Pages: 1 [2]