Marketplace > Buy Sell Trade

2016 Zero SR ZF13 Salvage

(1/4) > >>

talon:
Hello all!

I just won a damaged 2016 SR at auction with intent to fix it up or use the parts for a future conversion. Before I do so, I wanted to gauge interest in the bike as-is. Also, unfortunately the bike is a great deal away from me (across the entire US in fact) so selling it may be my *smartest* option... but I never said that I always make smart decisions.

It's going to cost me a ton to transport it from where it currently resides in the SF bay area in California to where I am in the East Coast (by D.C.) so I did want to seriously consider offers before I really inspect the damages and look at transporting it. I will update this listing in a few days with details and can answer any questions you may have.

I am likely to lose money on this deal, as there is huge risk repairing any EV and this is also my first foray into doing anything like this ever. I think I've done my homework enough that I at least got a fair if not slightly steep deal.. my reasoning is I do not know for a fact that the battery hasn't been left discharged too long to cause irreparable damage and that there isn't frame damage by the head/neck of the frame (the bike looks like it was an in-motion front end collision followed by a slide or flip). I know it does not move under it's own power and has exposed low voltage wiring. The display and backlight recently powered up under the bike's own power. I don't think you are going to find a more honest or reasonable seller, or a better deal to get into EV's depending on how fixable this thing is. On a side note, has anyone heard a price for either fixing head/neck damage on aluminum frames OR battery pack replacement quotes from Zero (out of warranty)? Video coming soon upon inspection. If you are in CA you have until Nov. 2nd to see it or send an offer (unless you want to ship it back haha).

More details are available at this craigslist link, as well as a ballpark price:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/d/2016-zero-sr-zf130-motorcycle/6362648692.html

turbotortuga:
Hmm... it sounds like you either got a deal on a slightly damaged SR or got swindled with a boat anchor. Either way, I don't think that a salvage 2016 SR is worth anywhere near $7K as it still needs to be repaired and brought back up to roadgoing condition. Not when you can get a new leftover 2017 SR for $12K and a demo 2016 SR for $10-11K or less. If I were going to bid on it at auction, the most I would have to paid (sight unseen) would be *maybe* $3-4K and even then I would probably still pass. It could be $3-5K just to repair the physical stuff and maybe more if the monolith was compromised in some way. You might be able to make your money back by parting it out as some things might be able to still be used but that is quite a bit of effort for potentially little gain. You time would most likely be better spent on other more financially lucrative endeavors. I wish you luck with it in any case though.

BrianTRice@gmail.com:
Maybe someone in the SF Bay area can have a look at it for you? Hayward isn't that far from me or others on the board.

It's not clear whether the seller is the owner or even hands-on knowledgeable about the bikes.

Doug S:
It seems like every once in a while someone's looking for an intact drivetrain to do a jetski conversion or a boat conversion or something. Not sure how you'd find that market though. I've sent the CL link to a friend of mine who loves to chat about my bike with me and is always working on a half-dozen projects.

BTW, if it powers up, that's a very good sign. Clearly the forks are bent, and maybe the frame. But if it's powering up, that and the picture seem to show that the guts are pretty undamaged -- the battery is at least providing some juice, and doesn't seem to be damaged in the picture. Obviously the MBB and BMS are at least somewhat functional as well, as is the 12VDC converter. I'd be willing to bet that the drivetrain is pretty much intact.

Nuts n Volts:
I have a strong interest in a bike like that at $3-4k, but $7k is way too steep as mentioned.  Especially considering you do not know if anything on the bike functions.  I wouldn’t risk $7k for that.

Of course if things are undamaged and functional underneath then there’s some value there. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version