• May 06, 2024, 08:01:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bruntingthorpe Speed Run / Track Day  (Read 487 times)

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
Bruntingthorpe Speed Run / Track Day
« on: September 14, 2017, 04:29:20 PM »

A bit of a fun post.

Last weekend I got to go on a bit of a work jolly (audio recording session, can't say what for), and found myself and my SR at a track day at Bruntingthorpe proving grounds for the Spyder Motorcycle Club's annual speed weekend. This is a great track as it boasts a two mile long straight which was once the main runway.

Weather was a little... foreboding... as was the "competition" nearly all the bikes there were litre superbikes, BMW S1000RR's and ZZR1400's, only a 635 Street Triple was remotely close to my SR...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.490186,-1.1242169,1942m/data=!3m1!1e3
Google maps view of the rather nice Bruntingthorpe Airfield Track, the course is nothing more than the two mile straight, back along the taxi way past the planes amd back up to the top of the main straight, more a drag strip than a real circuit track... ;)

However once we'd got the bike wired up with microphones, I was free to play on the track and get some recordings. (spoiler alert, the zero's motor sounds really high pitched when picked up from a contact mike...)

So, a solid 100mph down the main straight, not quite a quick as the ZZR1400 and the BMW S1000RR's that were there (hitting their limiters at 186mph)  but respectable enough.

Weather mostly held off, though it did start to get wet by the end of the day.

Small selection of the bikes there, the Zero looks tiny compared to the litre superbikes. ;)

Generally a fantastic day, and a big shout out to the Spyder Motorcycle Club for putting on the track day.

Now I just *really* want to go back next year and try and break the 100mph barrier next year, maybe 110?

*moderator edit* added img width tags.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:39:35 PM by Shadow »
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
Re: Bruntingthorpe Speed Run / Track Day
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 04:48:28 PM »

For people interested in such things.

I stopped circuit riding at 35% power, at this point I was still hitting 94mph down the main straight.
The circuit is just over four miles long and I was using approx 8-10% of the battery per lap.

I kept up with a S1000RR until we hit about 60-70 mph then it just simply strode away from me.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:51:13 PM by Justin Andrews »
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
Re: Bruntingthorpe Speed Run / Track Day
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 07:30:45 PM »

That looks like so much fun. Your bike isn't small, it just needs a fairing like the others. Then you might be able to stay with the other bikes at faster speeds.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR
Pages: [1]