• May 22, 2024, 03:54:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: 2012 S zf6 Motor cutting out  (Read 15113 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: 2012 S zf6 Motor cutting out
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2013, 08:48:31 PM »

I keep wondering how the fleet owners of the 2012 Zeros are dealing with the "glitch"?  You would think that using the bikes every day in rainy, humid, Bogota, Columbia and in Hong Kong, doing police patrols, would bring the glitch to full bloom.  If you are a LEO chasing after a perp on your Zero when it stalls out on you, you are going to want quick and permanent action in resolving that issue.  You would think that Zero would be all over this problem and coming up with a permanent fix soon - if for no other reason than to protect their reputation so that future sales are not impacted, especially where government and fleet sales are concerned.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2013, 09:33:58 PM »

Doc: if you have the ability to manually calibrate the motor encoder / controller, then I believe that will temporarily fix the glitch.

The BMS board waterproofing issue was a temperature sensor connector that was not properly protected. The connector in my case was starting to corrode, causing the sensor to effectively short and the BMS disabled the motor. The indicator light was lit indicating a temperature fault.

The glitch does not light the indicator. So pretty easy way to distinguish between the two.. the period of rough motor behavior is also symptomatic of the glitch.

Richard230: I don't think Zero is ignoring the glitch .. certainly they will burn MANY bridges with their fleet customers if they do not resolve this before issues crop up, and they HAVE to be aware of that. But they're certainly not engaging in significant communication with affected customers, or producing a timely fix.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

jeffs

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2013, 10:23:33 PM »

How to reboot?
I've got a 2012 ZF9. First glitch issue yesterday. At tech came out and replaced the board for the coating problem last year everything has been peachy since. Last night I rolled it out of the garage backwards with the key on. It went a few feet and then clunk, no more forward motion. Now it goes backward when rolling the throttle on and then it makes clunky ugly noises. Is there anything I can do? I'm 200+ miles from a dealer. What is rebooting? Just turning the key on and off or is there something else I can do? Multiple key on/off cycles are not helping. How about rolling forward while turning key on? A previous post mentioned that.
Thanks

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2013, 11:15:55 PM »

Jeff,

If you turn the bike on and it initially rolls backwards, leave it on and push the bike forward 5-10 feet (you'll feel some resistance). It should "pop" and resume normal operation, at least for a while. Note that you might have to do this again if you come to a full stop.

jeffs

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2013, 02:07:22 AM »

Thanks, I'll try rolling it forward. I got a callback from the factory on my first call and they think it's the encoder. I have had good service from them. When I had the first issue last year, there wasn't a local dealer and the traveling tech came to our house and fixed it. Nice. Luckily for them, they just put on a new dealer in Dayton, Ohio about 50 miles away, so I'll take it there myself.

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2013, 06:31:43 AM »

Zero picked up my bike Monday evening; I am awaiting word...
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

BenBrown

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2013, 10:15:28 AM »

I posted elsewhere, but I have purchased a 'new' in 2013, 2011 xu to discover it is Glitch-zilla!!!  I've owned it since May and have only been able to ride it (semi-dependably) 14 days.  The rest of the time I've been trying to get it serviced.  The last time I saw it was June 28th, 2013... The local dealer has been working with Zero throughout the late Spring and Summer to try to fix it.  Was to pick it up and the service man sure it was fixed tested the bike only to have it cut out again...

We have about 30-50 days left of standard motorcycling weather in Michigan.  This seems beyond crazy to pay a loan, interest, insurance, for use of a car when I thought I purchased a dependable product and all of the accessories to go with the Zero.  Losing power in the middle of rush hour traffic is downright dangerous!

Reading about others experience tonight is making me rethink my whole experience with Zero.

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2013, 08:52:02 AM »

I posted elsewhere, but I have purchased a 'new' in 2013, 2011 xu to discover it is Glitch-zilla!!!  I've owned it since May and have only been able to ride it (semi-dependably) 14 days.  The rest of the time I've been trying to get it serviced.  The last time I saw it was June 28th, 2013... The local dealer has been working with Zero throughout the late Spring and Summer to try to fix it.  Was to pick it up and the service man sure it was fixed tested the bike only to have it cut out again...

We have about 30-50 days left of standard motorcycling weather in Michigan.  This seems beyond crazy to pay a loan, interest, insurance, for use of a car when I thought I purchased a dependable product and all of the accessories to go with the Zero.  Losing power in the middle of rush hour traffic is downright dangerous!

Reading about others experience tonight is making me rethink my whole experience with Zero.

Keep the faith-- early adopters and bleeding-edge technology have to expect these sorts of "growing pains"...  Hope your issues [and mine] are resolved reasonably quickly.  That's all we can expect!
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2013, 10:23:44 AM »

My motor was damaged in transit. The replacement motor (with new encoder) and MBB should be back at the dealer tomorrow - will expect a call to pick it up tomorrow or Saturday. Unfortunately, I'll be at IMS saturday!

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2013, 07:01:06 PM »

Ben:  Last year my 2012 was in the shop for the entire month of August due to glitching.  I had only had it 2 months when it went into the shop.  I remember feeling very much like your post.  I hope that Zero can figure your bike out and get you back on the road.

Protomech:  Glad to see it looks like you'll be riding electric again soon.   Your presence here & brammoforum and your dedication to e-moto's is a huge boon to both Zero and Brammo.  I think they should both provide you with a free 2013 model.   I'm a little surprised you didn't get better treatment from Zero with your encoder problem given your history and status.  Also I'm curious how your rebuilt motor holds up --- last year, post-glitch-service, I got a new motor cause my old one failed.  I wonder if that wasn't a lucky break (no pun intended) as I remember they changed something in the 2012 motor manufacturing process to improve motor encoder reliability.  Maybe your rebuilt motor will also have those mods?

I have to say my Zero has been working flawlessly this summer.  I'm racking up the miles and really enjoying it.   I bought the Zero as a novelty, but now that I've ridden electric I have to say I'm hooked.  I clearly prefer electric to gas for commuting around town.

When all is well, I find myself reading the forum alot but not posting so much.   When you read some of the threads, I can see that a casual observer might think Zero's have significant quality issues.  But I do wonder if the majority of Zero owners are more like me: happy and lurking.
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2013, 08:08:08 PM »

Ben:  Last year my 2012 was in the shop for the entire month of August due to glitching.  I had only had it 2 months when it went into the shop.  I remember feeling very much like your post.  I hope that Zero can figure your bike out and get you back on the road.

Protomech:  Glad to see it looks like you'll be riding electric again soon.   Your presence here & brammoforum and your dedication to e-moto's is a huge boon to both Zero and Brammo.  I think they should both provide you with a free 2013 model.   I'm a little surprised you didn't get better treatment from Zero with your encoder problem given your history and status.  Also I'm curious how your rebuilt motor holds up --- last year, post-glitch-service, I got a new motor cause my old one failed.  I wonder if that wasn't a lucky break (no pun intended) as I remember they changed something in the 2012 motor manufacturing process to improve motor encoder reliability.  Maybe your rebuilt motor will also have those mods?

I have to say my Zero has been working flawlessly this summer.  I'm racking up the miles and really enjoying it.   I bought the Zero as a novelty, but now that I've ridden electric I have to say I'm hooked.  I clearly prefer electric to gas for commuting around town.

When all is well, I find myself reading the forum alot but not posting so much.   When you read some of the threads, I can see that a casual observer might think Zero's have significant quality issues.  But I do wonder if the majority of Zero owners are more like me: happy and lurking.

I think you're right that 2012 S/DS glitch sufferers are over-represented among posters here for the simple reason that no one starts a thread or posts in a thread titled "No problems with my Zero."

Zero claims that less than 5% of 2012 bikes exhibit glitch symptoms. Maybe that's so but this seems unintuitive given that a significant proportion of active posters here sooner or later start to talk about glitch experiences, certainly more than one out of 20.

That includes yours truly who began to experience glitch symptoms for the first time this June after no issues the previous riding season.

After reporting the issues to my dealer who reported them to Zero the glitches went away for a about month until mid-July then returned.

I started a thread where I attempted to narrow the cause to condensation of water perhaps on circuit boards or inside the motor when the cooled-off bike is stored overnight in hot, moist air. I can still reliably produce glitches this way but abandoned it as a general theory of the glitch because several of you like in desert conditions and get glitches anyway. I still wonder if in the early AM there isn't a dew point in those deserts that produces condensation on the inside of the motor that interferes with the encoder, but who knows.

Rather than turn the bike over to the dealer for what may a long glitch fix process by process of elimination, as others here have experienced, I decided to figure out how to live with it for the rest of the season and turn it over when the riding season ends.

Here's what I've been doing all summer to continue to enjoy the bike.

When the air is dry (low relative humidity -- RH) and relatively cool I have no issues, such as yesterday. The day before I'd parked the bike outside under a cover versus in the garage. The RH got up to 100% after a brief sprinkle overnight. I knew I was in for glitches that morning and I got them.

The way I've learned to live with them is as follows. I will always get a rough running motor before a cut-out glitch. The rough motor come on at random, at any speed. If I try to ride through it by accelerating then decelerating to engage the regen, which I used to do, the rough motor goes away but there's a good chance that the next time I come to a stop the bike will not move off the line when I give it throttle and I'll have to reboot. I have never experienced a motor cut-out at speed. Now instead of riding through it if the motor runs rough I pull over when safe to do so and reboot. Then the bike usually, but not always, operates without issues for the rest of the ride, but not always for the rest of the day.

Hope the description is helpful. Also hoping that by this fall that Zero will have figured the root cause and the fix process will be short. 

Due to these issues and reports of issues with 2013 bikes, I decided to skip 2013 S and will upgrade to a 2014; presumably the reported bugs in the new design will be ironed out by then and some of the oft-repeated improvement suggestions, such as to the tires and suspension, will have been implemented. 

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2013, 08:54:21 PM »

No glitches on my very early 2012 S, but then I keep my bike garaged when I am not riding it. However, the humidity around here is usually 90% or more every morning, drying out during the afternoon, before the fog and mist moves in again overnight.  Also I am very careful when washing my bike and do my best to keep anything but a light spray out of the battery box area.  After drying with a towel, I go for a ride to make sure everything that I can't reach with a towel is completely dry.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

dahlheim

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2013, 10:08:28 PM »

happy and lurking here, with only about 2000 miles on my 12DS-zf9, albeit with 35% RH.  oh and i haven't washed it yet...   :P
currently, 12 Zero DS ZF9, 07CRF450X, 03GL1800, 02R1150GS, 01XR650R, 00XR400R, 76GL1000

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2013, 07:25:17 PM »

I think they should both provide you with a free 2013 model.   I'm a little surprised you didn't get better treatment from Zero with your encoder problem given your history and status.

ColoPaul: your check is in the mail. : )

I don't think Zero gives better service based upon post count, nor should they.

Also I'm curious how your rebuilt motor holds up --- last year, post-glitch-service, I got a new motor cause my old one failed.  I wonder if that wasn't a lucky break (no pun intended) as I remember they changed something in the 2012 motor manufacturing process to improve motor encoder reliability.  Maybe your rebuilt motor will also have those mods?

I'll certainly update here once I have the bike back. The Zero service tech contacted me Friday about the recall bolts - shipping directly to me, it sounds like an easy fix.

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2013, 09:34:48 PM »

Got back from my sailing trip  . . . spoke to Brock at Zero . . .  they have had the bike for 7 weeks now  . . . I think he said they have "refurbished" and "weatherproofed" the motor, updated the controller, replaced the kill switch and throttle and should be ready to ship the bike this week . . . . still waiting for confirmation.

Miss my Zero!

--Karl
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10