General Category > Pics and Vids

Better Cells faster charging. Anyone want 6C?

(1/4) > >>

NEW2elec:
From Fully Charged comes a look at GAC Aion a Chinese car brand who is showing off their 3C cells and claiming their 6C cells are almost ready.

So the current standard charging rate is 1C which is why most EVs go from 0-85ish% in, you guessed it, 1 hour.  Balance time and throttle back points aside.     

If we take, in theory, a 20kWh pack with 6C cells and have a 120kw charging station then you could recharge in 6 minutes. 

TheRan:
I was curious what current vehicles can do, unless I'm messing something up it seems like a Taycan can already do nearly 3C and an Ioniq 5 can do 4.5C.

NEW2elec:
I've not seen anything else do 30-80 in 10 mins.  If you have some video of that I'd be interested in seeing it.

I know the Audi E Tron had a setup that wouldn't give the owner access to below 20% or above 80% of the true battery so when you charge up the shown 0-100 has no cut back to simulate a gas pump style steady speed.  Of course you paid for 40% of battery you could never use.

MVetter:
6C describes a 10 minute charge, not 6 minute. It's 60/X = charge time where X is your C rating value. 1C = 60, 2C = 30, 3C = 20, 4C = 15, 5C = 12, 6C = 10, etc.

TheRan:
I'm just going off the specs:

Taycan - 93.4kW/h at 270kW = 2.9C (there's also a lower capacity model that would be 3.4C if it can also do 270kW)
Ioniq 5 - 77.4kW/h at 350kW = 4.5C (likewise they also have a lower capacity model, however they spec the same charge time at a 350kW station)

Hyundai also say 18 minutes to 80%, assuming that's from 0% then maybe 30-80% is possible in 10 minutes or close to it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version