General Category > Pics and Vids

How to Adjust Your Zero's Belt

(1/3) > >>

mistasam:
I made a little how-to vid for this, if anyone was wondering how to use a belt tension gauge:

MajorMajor:
That was great, thanks.

Shadow:
Nice editing and use of different views.

There's a trick to the alignment. Information dump:

While tensioning with snug axle bolts roll wheel forward and track flush with inside of rear sprocket
once tension is set and tracking is  flush to inside, setting axle nut to 75 lbs will tend to nudge belt approx 1mm to the outside for proper alignment, the belt will track exactly centered on the wheel sprocket with a 1mm gap to either side of the belt relative to the sprocket.

Measure tension by rolling wheel forward while plucking bottom side of belt or using tension gauge several revolutions. Note tension will be expected to vary slightly as wheel is rotated because front and rear sprockets are only round to a certain design tolerance. tighten alignment jam nuts before tightening axle nut to torque spec.

Using a scissor lift center stand is an easy method to lift the bike. I bought a Rage Powersports BW-1604A which is the same as I have seen used at Zero HQ but it's basically the same device by any manufacturer. I like it, the usefulness is easier than a rear stand to operate solo and it is more compact than the rear stand although much heavier.

Lubricating the belt a light application to the lower triangle area and then roll the wheel forward three or four revolutions to disperse lubrication to all areas in contact. Note that Gates mfg of the belt has not tested this use of lubrication and as an mfg advises explicitly to not do this. Blast off / super blaster dry silicone lube wiith orange top. Note I heard this description but I could not match with a specific lubricating product.

Alignment of the belt is critically tough to get correct, and needs to be done everytime adjusting tension.

*Update* Picture of properly aligned belt:

BrianTRice@gmail.com:
Sweet. I've linked all this from the wiki now and written it up with Shadow's notes:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Belt_Adjustment

mistasam:
Whoa, awesome!  Thanks for the tips, Shadow.  That's really great stuff to know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version