• May 15, 2024, 09:48:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Stand alone J1772 signalling circuit  (Read 488 times)

TheGap

• View Profile
Stand alone J1772 signalling circuit
« on: February 12, 2018, 03:49:45 AM »

Hi,

Maybe this has already been asked/answered (I doubt I’m the first one) but couldn’t find anything relevant, so I’m sorry if this is a redundant post.

At my workplace they’re going to install charge stations, which is great news. Also, at several malls around my neighbourhood I’ve found free charge stations.
However, I don’t have a charge tank and all those stations use the European Type 2 plug aka Mennekes plug aka VDE-AR-E 2623-2-2 .
Zero does offer this or this solution but an SAE J1772 is the wrong type of connector for my region and for those prices I can get A LOT of kilometres just from payed charging at home (not to mention I’d still have to buy a cable too).

Only ready made after market solution I’ve found is this adapter cable … but again, for a little under €230 I can buy a LOT of electricity (and thus kilometers) at my place. So, to get a cheaper electric fix, I’m thinking to put my DIY skills to the test and want to make the same cable myself.

I’ve found a ‘relatively’ cheap Type 2 connector here.
Electrical connections from PE, N and L1 (don’t need L2 or L3) to C13 is straightforward.
Signalling used on the Mennekes plug is exactly the same as for the J1772 plug (see this Wiki and its references).
Proximity Pilot is easy enough to understand and rather irrelevant if I’m only using the onboard charger.

Now ...

The Control Pilot on the other hand is not yet completely clear to me.
It would seem I can build the whole thing out of only a few passive components.
Since I'm not using the latch for PP I can re-purpose it to tell the EVSE to switch from connected (State B) to charging (State C) and vice versa.
And I can ignore the whole duty cycle thing because I'm using the lowest rating anyway.
This all seems a bit too easy and I feel I'm missing something which could throw a spanner in the works … anyone else has any experience with this?

For the end result I’d like to integrate the entire circuit in the handle (with a few additional indicators and safety mechanisms).

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
Re: Stand alone J1772 signalling circuit
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 07:03:00 AM »

See also Erasmo's posting on the same topic in 2015.

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=5233.0

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 07:05:15 AM »

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

TheGap

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 04:14:43 PM »

Thanks for the tips togo.

I heard it's bad manners to raise a thread back from the dead so I won't reply to one from 2015 with "Yes, I'm interested!"   ;D
The total lack of replies to Erasmo's post also speaks volumes.

The instructables article is excellent and provides me the clues that it's not that hard and I'm on the right track.
I said clues because the part containing the info I'm looking for, there's written "I decided to buy the version that comes with a key to start/stop charging" ... it's a ready made component. Doh'
But there's also cheaper set referenced in the article: https://www.laadkabelfabriek.nl/product/verloop-type-2-naar-schuko-contrastekker-met-ontgrendeling/
Pages: [1]