• May 21, 2024, 06:22:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How is that rain guard?  (Read 2906 times)

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: How is that rain guard?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2017, 03:43:47 PM »

Thanks, I'm not that proficient in filming and editing but the main goal was to provide a clear how-to.

I'm still bummed out that it costs pretty much double in Europe, but was also surprised to see that it came with a new bracket and reflectors etc. For $25 it is a pretty decent kit. Also, any idea if and how this will affect aerodynamics? The guard itself might create some drag but it could also help to tune down the air that is thrown upwards by the rear wheel and create a calmer pattern behind the bike.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 08:51:52 PM »

Thanks, I'm not that proficient in filming and editing but the main goal was to provide a clear how-to.

I'm still bummed out that it costs pretty much double in Europe, but was also surprised to see that it came with a new bracket and reflectors etc. For $25 it is a pretty decent kit. Also, any idea if and how this will affect aerodynamics? The guard itself might create some drag but it could also help to tune down the air that is thrown upwards by the rear wheel and create a calmer pattern behind the bike.

Good question, which I have thought about and concluded that I have no idea.  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 06:15:46 AM »

Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 03:45:48 AM »

"Possum scratcher" probably means a tire-hugging mudguard...

There are a few people (including myself) who've installed this and are mostly getting reasonable results:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HYZPRJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How did that work out Brian?
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 07:22:03 AM »

I recently bought two Zero rain guards, one for my daughter and one for myself, and both were missing some small parts.  One was missing the two small washers that fit between the plastic spacers and their securing screws.  The other rain guard was missing not only the washers, but also one of the plastic spacers.  So if you purchase one of these rain guards from Zero, check to be sure that all of the parts have been included in the sealed bags when you pick them up. It looks like someone was getting sloppy when the guard kits were packaged at the (likely Chinese) factory that supplied them to Zero.  :(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

vernvernor

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 12:36:45 PM »

dude, def nice vid. I felt like I was there with you in the garage installing it. thanks.

TheGap

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2018, 07:42:41 PM »

There are a few people (including myself) who've installed this and are mostly getting reasonable results:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HYZPRJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Albeit less pleasant for the possums, the mental image that comes with "possum scratcher" made me laugh quite hard.  ;D

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2018, 09:01:17 PM »

Albeit less pleasant for the possums, the mental image that comes with "possum scratcher" made me laugh quite hard.  ;D

The correct term, as formulated by the BMW F650 Funduro Chain Gang forum in 1997, is "possum scraper".   ;D

TheGap

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 11:41:10 PM »

The correct term, as formulated by the BMW F650 Funduro Chain Gang forum in 1997, is "possum scraper".   ;D
Still the same effect  ;D

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 07:24:51 AM »

I contacted Justin at Zero's customer service and he sent me the missing plastic spacer, which I received tonight in the mail.  All is good now and I received a quick response to my request, although he did want the order number for the rain guard kit.  So keep your receipt should you purchase an accessory from Zero until you are sure that you have all of the parts that you need to install it.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 12:01:34 PM »

I have the factory rain guard on my 16' SR. It looks better than the bike without it, and it works well.  Rode in some nasty rain this summer with wife on the back, it protected her and the back of the bike well. Good investment for $25

+1 Definitely worth it for the money. If you have time, money and motivation it's probably worth following others' suggestions to, but that simple rain guard is adequate for me and I ride in all weather commuting.  But then I also don't give a damn about how the bike looks and have only put a hose to it to remove lots of clogged up mud after going off-road.  I care not about salty roads etc and subscribe to the opinion that bikes, like cars, should have sufficient corrosion protection so that I don't have to worry about it. I just don't have the time or inclination to clean and care for bikes. Other than making sure the brakes are ok, the lights work and the tyres are pumped up etc.  Wrong attitude probably...

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2018, 10:23:49 AM »

I recently bought two Zero rain guards, one for my daughter and one for myself, and both were missing some small parts.  One was missing the two small washers that fit between the plastic spacers and their securing screws.  The other rain guard was missing not only the washers, but also one of the plastic spacers.  So if you purchase one of these rain guards from Zero, check to be sure that all of the parts have been included in the sealed bags when you pick them up. It looks like someone was getting sloppy when the guard kits were packaged at the (likely Chinese) factory that supplied them to Zero.  :(

I recently purchased the Zero Rainguard, and it came without any installation hints.  Are there any actual instructions out there?
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 11:08:46 AM »

2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2018, 12:44:18 PM »

I happened to made video about it:

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2018, 06:31:06 AM »

Another thumbs up. And agreement that more coverage would be better.
Pages: 1 [2] 3