• May 20, 2024, 02:56:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Poll: Should Zero Offer Seat Height Options?  (Read 3232 times)

charlesb

• View Profile
Poll: Should Zero Offer Seat Height Options?
« on: May 21, 2016, 09:41:26 PM »

On a scale of 1-10, where do you rate seat height as far as safety and comfort?

charlesb

• View Profile
Re: Poll: Should Zero Offer Seat Height Options?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 09:42:45 PM »

I'll start it off with a 9

ticobrahe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 11:01:52 PM »

10 for me. I favored getting a DSR but the bike was a couple inches too tall for me as my toes were barely touching the ground while mounted. Went w an SR and have zero regrets (see what i did there [emoji6])

Perhaps an adjusted lower seat height would've tilted things in my favor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Zero SR
2016 Honda CRF250L
2011 Triumph America

charlesb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 11:14:58 PM »

If enough people respond to this and it makes a difference in purchase decision, Zero will take notice (I hope)

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 12:37:40 AM »

I'm 5'8" with short legs and arms.
Owned:  2013 Zero DS (now dead)
Test rode:  2014 Zero S, SR, 2015 Zero FX, 2016 DSR and FXS
http://ptruchon.pagekite.me/

AsherEscher

• 2016 Zero FXS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 10:50:18 AM »

Does anyone know if the http://corbin.com/zero/zero13.shtml will work on an FXS? Is it the same as the others?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 11:10:53 AM »

Does anyone know if the http://corbin.com/zero/zero13.shtml will work on an FXS? Is it the same as the others?

It won't work on the FX(S); the frame and seat pan shape are different.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 11:35:39 AM »

I'm short at 5'6", but my SR  has the best seat height of any of the motorcycles I have had before. 

It helps to have smaller wheels and street tires and moderate suspension travel.

If I went down an inch, it would help with walking the bike backwards on a slope.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 07:24:40 PM »

Until Zero is selling tens of thousands of units a year, it doesn't make sense to have factory options like this.  They are trying to keep the base cost down.  But so do other bike makers.  Seats are best left to the aftermarket.  Notice Kawasaki for instance doesn't have any seat options for any of their models, even their highest selling model, the Ninja 300.  So I highly doubt Zero will ever offer one.  It just doesn't make any financial sense.  They make a seat that fits the tallest point under the bell curve for the height and shape of what they feel their average rider will be.  If you're on the far end of the curve you get an aftermarket seat.

Has anyone that wishes the bike was an inch shorter tried the Corbin seat yet?  It's only 1/2" shorter, but the shape at the front should be worth an inch or two or more when trying to reach the ground.

Also has everyone removed the preload from the front forks (easy with a 17mm wrench, or was it a 19mm?) I want to say there is like 25 turns of travel.

The same can be done with the rear suspension but best done at a motorcycle shop that has a spanner wrench.

And lastly you can slide the forks up in the triple clamps 1/4-1/2" by loosening the 3 allen bolts on each side and letting the bike fall down until it stops on the handlebars (but adjust your preload on the forks first as after you will be unable)

Get a boot maker to add custom 1/2" taller soles to your motorcycle boots

Although I think the seat from Corbin would be the easiest thing to try first
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 07:37:16 PM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

AsherEscher

• 2016 Zero FXS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 01:51:26 AM »

It won't work on the FX(S); the frame and seat pan shape are different.
Gotcha - thanks!

charlesb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 08:47:07 AM »

having their seat manufacterer make a limited number of seats 1.5 inches lower that can be used on multiple models is not going to break the bank.  In fact, it would likely be a great selling point.  Not enough motorcycle manufacturers give enough thought to the seat issue (which is really a comfort and safety issue) for their potential customers.  I am sure that I am not the only one who changed my mind about buying a motorcycle because of this issue.  I wanted a Kawasaki KLR 650 and walked out of the dealer showroom because the seat height was 35 inches.  I then went to another dealer in North Miami who had the zero which was still a bit tall in the seat height for me but do-able.  Hey Zero...you want the motorcycle buying public to take notice of your company, try doing something a bit unusual, show them you care about their comfort and safety.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 11:49:52 AM »

having their seat manufacterer make a limited number of seats 1.5 inches lower that can be used on multiple models is not going to break the bank.  In fact, it would likely be a great selling point.  Not enough motorcycle manufacturers give enough thought to the seat issue (which is really a comfort and safety issue) for their potential customers.  I am sure that I am not the only one who changed my mind about buying a motorcycle because of this issue.  I wanted a Kawasaki KLR 650 and walked out of the dealer showroom because the seat height was 35 inches.  I then went to another dealer in North Miami who had the zero which was still a bit tall in the seat height for me but do-able.  Hey Zero...you want the motorcycle buying public to take notice of your company, try doing something a bit unusual, show them you care about their comfort and safety.

Zero's volumes are still very low, I wonder how sustainable the company is.  Zero needs to stay lean and mean and seat height options may not be a priority.

Remember what Henry Ford said about the Model T  "You can have any color as long as it's black."

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 03:07:01 PM »

Remember that seat height is only half the equation. Seat width is the other half. If your goal is to be flat footed while stopped you can d this with a high seat height if the seat is narrow enough. But I agree with Terry, this doesn't make sense right now.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 07:37:04 PM »

All of the current Zero models are tiny bikes and could use a higher seat.
Higher seats have more legroom, let the rider have better control, and are superior in most ways when moving.

Only downside is wind resistance, and short people that think they need two feet on the ground will complain.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 08:18:29 PM »

Right now I would prefer a thicker, softer seat, even if the reach to the ground is a little greater.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1] 2