• May 06, 2024, 10:59:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Lets try this then.. Speculation on 2013 changes...  (Read 4866 times)

wainair

• View Profile
Re: Lets try this then.. Speculation on 2013 changes...
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2012, 05:46:38 PM »

Yeah trikester, those look the business ! A good set if you ride more than just the odd dirt road. Those look like they would work well on any loose trail. How are they on the pavement ? Much noise or wear showing up?
There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't.

Marshm

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 01:46:36 AM »

Trikester you have a funny point on the hot exhaust, because many riding pants are made from nylon that melts pretty easy. I believe all my riding pants have a melted spot.  Good points on what we encounter when riding offroad.  In many trails, I am probably going from 5 to 25 mph, so if 1 gear can handle that range pretty well, then I think I might be better off not having to shift gears.

I have encountered that sudden near vertical step when going up hill.  It is decision time, can 2nd gear handle it, or do I need to drop it down into 1st.  If I drop it into 1st, will I will lose too much speed and not be able to make it.  Almost no time to make the decision on a surprise obstacle. I kept it in 2nd, got the rear tire over the step and then stalled.  It was too steep and loose so I slid backwards even though both tires were not rolling.   Once that rear tire went over the step I fell over fast and learned elbow pads do not have protection on the back of your arm, tricept area.  I sort of take that lightly now, but at the time I was actually quite angry, and thought I might have really damaged my arm pretty bad.  E-bike would have been better in this case. 

Now how about this theory.  Gears on an e-bike would still give a choice to the rider.  Even though I would not need to shift when riding a trail between 5-25 mph with just 1 gear, would I like to ride a certain section of trail using a different ratio?  It is like changing sprockets, but I don’t have to change them, I just click the gear selector and now have a different drive ratio.  Perhaps any of the 6 gears would work in that trail, but they will all work differently.  With gas bikes you can’t use all 6 gears for the same trail.  6th will just stall out and 1st is just too slow.  So perhaps gears can be used somewhat differently with an e-bike.  Not as a necessity to make the bike go like with gas bikes, but as a preference thing. 

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012, 03:52:11 AM »

Marshm: you're correct, the gearbox on an electric bike is functionally exactly like a direct-drive transmission only with a selection of six sprockets.

No stalls at 0 RPM.

If you only are going 25 mph max in the dirt, you can drop to a low gear and get the greatest mechanical advantage. Control output with the throttle.

Gearbox is unnecessary if the single-speed gearing is the best for all the conditions you care about, or if you do not require both strong acceleration / wheel torque and a high top speed. The DS is a light offroad vehicle because of the lack of a gearbox; it simply can't tackle steep uphill sections. (So I've heard: I don't offroad at all, so a 8% road gradient is about as steep as I need)
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2012, 08:07:12 PM »

I've climbed some very steep dirt hills with my DS. Anything it wouldn't climb I wouldn't want to be on. My decision to change my rear wheel to be able to use a knobby tire was a hill I climbed where the stock DS wheel was spinning all the way up and I wondered if I would lose all traction before reaching the top.

However when I increased the rear wheel size and picked the drive train ratio to compensate for that I also went a little beyond just equal compensation. I selected a slightly lower ratio than stock. Plus the DS is already a little lower geared than the S.

I do hear the tires more on pavement than the stock tires so they are burning up some electrons. The Kenda K270's do have a good rep for long wear.

Trikester

stenling

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 02:22:02 AM »

Zero Motorcycles Europe today informed me that they will show the 2013 models at Intermot Germany early October.
However, any 2013 Model will be available to buy in March/April 2013 earliest.

Carl Anton
Former Vectrix owner, drives Think City 2010 EV
Oslo, Norway

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 04:48:09 PM »

Intermot will also see the EU launch of the Brammo Empulse with delivery dates similar to the 2013 Zero's.
It will be interesting to see how the EU customers react to these bikes.
Intermot is both a professional and consumer show so it might be interesting to go!
Once you go EV, gas is history!

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 05:05:06 PM »

bummer, have been to several Intermots the last couple of years and this year - not. would love to see a shoot-out.

maybe we have some production Euro ebikes finally coming up ? not just concepts. Think of Audi winning the 2hrs LeMans with 1st and 2nd on etron cars, now owning Ducati ... hope they give the Italians a hard time to innovate.
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

manlytom

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »

here we go....  :)

Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2012, 01:59:23 PM »

Intermot will also see the EU launch of the Brammo Empulse with delivery dates similar to the 2013 Zero's.

Like how Brammo said they were going to eliver in 2010, 2011, may 2012 for june/july, and then again pushed back in june/july 2012 when they couldn't deliver again?

woah... what a surprise... they are going to re-announce it's launching... no shit, I knew the empulse was launching in 2010...

I hope they do actually launch something, because I would love to have another e-bike out there, but shit man they have been claiming to have the best production bike around for years and the enertia is the only thing they have produced, in 2009... and lets just say, thats not the best production bike around lol! You can't say a bike is production when you haven't delivered a single one.

I hope they get their act together and stop blowing smoke up peoples asses cause if they don't the remaining brammo fan boys and girls are just gonna pop in a smokey poof from it all.

wainair

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2012, 08:02:15 PM »

Wow Zero is partnering with Aprilia! Cool though what is the exhaust for? LOL  ::) :D
There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't.

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2012, 08:09:41 PM »

Wow Zero is partnering with Aprilia! Cool though what is the exhaust for? LOL  ::) :D

The exhaust lets the used electrons escape.  ;D

On another note, I was at my dealer chatting with the salesguy - he said he had talked someone at Zero about 2013 changes; and they told him it was going to be the same bike with only some improved software algorithms for regen and charging.   Clearly a rumor, to be taken with a grain of salt.
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

manlytom

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2012, 08:14:21 PM »

I'll planned to use the exhaust for the air in take to cool the motor ...  :)

well spotted that its from an Aprillia.
Tom

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2012, 10:17:07 PM »

I have said this before; I'll be very surprised if the 2013 DS doesn't have a 17" spoked rear wheel. :o

Trikester
Pages: 1 2 [3]