• May 04, 2024, 09:19:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: NEDRA drag racing records  (Read 3550 times)

BSDThw

• View Profile
Re: NEDRA drag racing records
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 12:32:14 AM »

Unfortunately my Zero DS will arrive end of Mai so my knowledge is poor theoretically.

A data-sheet of my dealer says it is an „Sevcon Gen4, Size 4, 3“ controller.

I already had a glance through the manual, but I guess Zero will use the Password feature.

…Gen4_Product_Manual_V3.0.pdf...
 Access authorization
To prevent unauthorized changes to the controller configuration there are 5 levels of accessibility: (1) User, (2) Service Engineer, (3) Dealer, (4) OEM Engineering and (5) Sevcon Engineering. The lowest level is (1), allowing read only access, and the highest level is (5) allowing authorization to change any parameter.

To login with DriveWizard, select User ID and password when prompted.

…

But as I mentioned I even own a Zero jet, so maybe I am wrong.

Sorry I did not introduced my self. I am new at the Forum but read a lot of your information.
I am from Germany ( maybe my English let you know) and since April the Zero 2012 is available. So I decided to order one and know I cant wait it to approach.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 07:23:12 AM »

I am curious, where have you received information on this "low-speed acceleration limit"?  Could it be that someone mis-understood the changes that the eco/sport switch does?  Has anyone received information on who can or how to remove this "low-speed acceleration limit" ?

I would be very excited if anyone could let me know how to increase the off-the-line performance of the 2012 Zero (with just software modification).

Nope, the low-end acceleration (up to 20 mph or so) is noticeably lower than above 20 mph. This is true both for Eco and Sport modes.

blake has obtained a copy of the latest Cycle World (which I now need a copy of) .. here's a relevant snip from Zero's CTO:
Explains Zero's chief technical officer, Abe Askenazi (ex-Buell), "Even though we are delivering near-constant torque to the rear wheel from 3 to 60 mph, the off-the-line sensation is not as strong as on an internal-combustion-engine bike with a very low first gear. Since most of the acceleration events in people's rides take place within mid-to-high speeds, we do believe that the extensive benefits of not carrying around a transmission far outweigh the limited benefits of doing so."

Mr. Askenazi (no comment on the name!) may be correct about the perceieved acceleration when talking about Sport mode. I'm about as sure as I can be without instrumentation (which is to say.. not exceptionally sure) that the initial torque is less in Eco mode.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 08:03:46 AM »

I believe that "torque from 3-60" part. The bike doesn't have to be moving very fast for the torque to kick in from what I can tell, but it's not there from a dead stop. And maybe he's right about peoples' perceptions, though it does make wheelies difficult :)
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 12:05:10 PM »

Compare to the Tesla:

Zero S has about 200 rear wheel ft-lb of torque, to motivate ~540 lbs of rider and gear. At least with me riding : P 2.7 lbs / ft-lb.

Tesla Roadster has about 2200 rear wheel ft-lb of torque, to motivate ~2900 lbs of car and driver. 1.3 lbs / ft-lb.

Empulse will likely have 400-500 ft-lb of torque in first gear. Depends on how short they want to make it.. it could be more like 600-700.
Motor has about 15% more torque, 40% higher RPM than Zero. About 60% more torque with the same top speed gearing.
1st gear will probably top out at ~40 mph, so about double the torque from gearing.

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 06:39:54 PM »

blake has obtained a copy of the latest Cycle World (which I now need a copy of) .. here's a relevant snip from Zero's CTO:
Explains Zero's chief technical officer, Abe Askenazi (ex-Buell), "Even though we are delivering near-constant torque to the rear wheel from 3 to 60 mph, the off-the-line sensation is not as strong as on an internal-combustion-engine bike with a very low first gear. Since most of the acceleration events in people's rides take place within mid-to-high speeds, we do believe that the extensive benefits of not carrying around a transmission far outweigh the limited benefits of doing so."

is this really only related to having a transmission or not ? What about hte ZeroX or so. i have not ridden one but recall wheelies etc. all possible. Obviously different gearing with lower top end speed... so is this what we are talking about and have we got limits ?
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 09:34:19 PM »

The first Zero X weighed < 200 lbs (really closer to 160). I don't know the gearing off the top of my head, but it probably made about 60% more rear wheel torque with a smaller rear wheel.
Pages: 1 [2]