• May 25, 2024, 10:02:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: dead OEM charger. warranty issues with aftermarket chargers?  (Read 1324 times)

Булгаков

• давай быстрее!
    • View Profile
dead OEM charger. warranty issues with aftermarket chargers?
« on: October 26, 2017, 03:44:35 AM »

Hello,

It appears that the built-in OEM charger for my 2014 Zero S has died. It no longer turns on the charging light on the dash, nor causes the contactor to click closed, and it does not get warm. Fortunately, I have a QuiQ charger as well as additional aftermarket chargers, but before I take the bike to the dealer to try to get a warranty claim for the OEM charger, I was wondering if anyone has had any problems getting their OEM charger replaced under warranty, if they were also using aftermarket chargers for their Zero?

There were no modifications to the charger itself, or to the bike's programming, wiring harness, etc.
2014 Zero 11.4

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
Re: dead OEM charger. warranty issues with aftermarket chargers?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 03:47:04 AM »

https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/01/ftc-validates-right-to-install-aftermarket-parts

Basically, the manufacturer must prove the aftermarket part caused the damage. In the USA.

Where are you located?  I see greek or cyrillic?
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 04:38:58 AM »

The bike logs clearly show when an aftermarket charger is being used. I've heard a comment from Zero Motorcycles employees to the idea of "we see everything, some of it is very interesting" and not much more to say.

As said already the warranty laws are very different by country.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 05:36:13 AM »

> ... I was wondering if anyone has had any problems getting their OEM charger replaced under warranty, if they were also using aftermarket chargers for their Zero? ...

I have not heard of anyone having trouble.  My own practice is to remove any aftermarket items practical when going to the dealer, since having a fairing in the way or SCv2 in the tank area might complicate the visit.  I didn't remove the happy-trail rack last time, but only because it's so hard to get on and off.

Булгаков

• давай быстрее!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 09:18:31 PM »

https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/01/ftc-validates-right-to-install-aftermarket-parts

Basically, the manufacturer must prove the aftermarket part caused the damage. In the USA.

Where are you located?  I see greek or cyrillic?
Cyrillic (Russian)

Good to know. I am in Texas.
As I said, I have also the QuiQ charger that Zero sold me, so that shouldn't be something that they can claim caused the problem. I added an additional charge port to the controller terminals, and I connect my other chargers to that plug only when I'm stopped to charge, and they are stored in the saddlebags the rest of the time.

I guess, has anyone else that charges through the controller terminals had warranty issues in the USA?
2014 Zero 11.4

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 02:15:51 AM »

Coming through AUX, there's an extra fuse.

Coming through charger terminals you bypass that fuse, but you still go through main contactor.

Main contactor is programmed to disconnect (open) if you exceed safe charging rate, if you exceed voltage, or if battery gets too hot.  Very effective battery protection, imho. 

I doubt you damaged the battery with aftermarket charging.  But an unscrupulous or uninformed dealer may make that claim to avoid work, avoid analysis, etc.  I'd remove anything aftermarket that might get in the way (of proper analysis).  Zero will see the rapid charging in the logs, regardless; you certainly would not want to lie about it.

I *do* charge via controller terminals, up to 1C, with aftermarket charging.  Indeed, when my onboard charger failed, I charged *only* with the diginow units for several months.  And I have contacted zero about warranty claims, had no issues.  But I have not had sufficient battery degradation to file a claim on the battery.  I thought I did, for a bit, but it turned out it was not the battery that was poor, but rather the measurement of the current.  They've offered to replace the MBB but the bike runs great otherwise, so I just ignore the inaccurate % full.  But no, I have not had an issue with Zero honoring warranty.

Булгаков

• давай быстрее!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 09:18:09 PM »

Yes, I'm aware of the fuses and contactor. My additional chargeport also has a fuse. I don't think there's any battery issue, just the onboard charger.

I'm glad that you haven't had warranty issues, even with using the diginow chargers.

I'll probably remove my additional chargeport before taking the bike to the dealer.
2014 Zero 11.4

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 10:26:31 PM »

Due to an electrical failure I had at home (a chattering main breaker), the on-board charger on my bike failed for a second time, well out of warranty. I left my SCv2 in place when I took the bike in to have that repaired, we discussed the SCv2 so I'm sure the dealer was aware of it, and there were no issues. That doesn't speak to warranty repairs but at least my dealer has no qualms about working on the bike with aftermarket equipment installed.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 11:31:28 PM »

I would say that MOST motorcycle dealers would be used to working on modified bikes. Afterall its rare to find a dead stock sportbike, dirtbike, touring or adventure bike... we all have our farkles.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 05:50:44 AM »

It's human nature to blame the unfamiliar.

But yes, most dealers in the US are used to dealing with customer farkles.

Булгаков

• давай быстрее!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 09:18:19 PM »

... just to update, I finally had the OEM charger replaced under warranty. Thankfully with my other chargers, it has not been a problem to have the OEM charger dead for so long. We will see how long this one lives. I remember reading that some people with 2014 chargers have had more than one die?
2014 Zero 11.4

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 11:26:16 AM »

Glad to hear it!

My 2014 had the onboard appear to fail, but it was the enable line. 
Aaron looked at it at the factory, and did a firmware update, and
said that fixed it. 

stampedeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 02:39:33 AM »

Булгаков, by the dates of your posts, am I right in assuming your service was past the 2 year 'in service date' or did you also purchase yours later?

My 2014 DS 11.4 is in the shop now here in Austin and the've informed me the charger needs to be replaced. I thought this would be covered under the longer PowerPack warranty, but they're informing me the OEM charger is only covered by the standard 2 year warranty and I need to fork over $950. This is a surprising cost for a nearly maintenance-free bike.

I'm boring; I have not done any mods or used any secondary chargers. I am told 'The charge[sic] is not covered under the powerpack warranty as that is the battery itself sir.' This makes clear sense, but I wanted to check with the community to see if the troublesome 2014 chargers that were replaced tended to be outside of the standard warranty.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2019, 03:35:49 AM »

The original charger on my daughter's 2014 S started slowly failing after about 3 years and by early 2019 it was still charging, but would stop at 87% SOC, so it got replaced. The new one works like new ( ::) ) and is back to charging to 100% SOC.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2019, 09:12:43 AM »

I live in Las Vegas, so it is usually HOT here. I never had any issues with my Zeros related to heat.
My 2016 SR DID have the stock charger replaced under warranty several times. I have attributed this to problems
with 110 Volt charging. After the last one was replaced towards the end of warranty, I have only been using
240V charging if using the stock charger. Other than that, I use the $600 QuiQ charger and / or the 2500 Elcon
external, both at 240V Whenever possible.
   On a recent 100 plus mile ride with my 2014 S with MAJOR upgrades, I had the motor temp go above 230 degrees
during a mile or two of over 110 mph. Didn't slow it down but yellow light came on. After slowing to below 80 mph, the light
went away after a few minutes
   If I MUST charge at 110 volt, I use the heaviest and shortest cord I can find. It took some looking but found what
what I needed online. If you feel the cord at 240V it is barely warm to the touch. The same cord under 110 volt is quite hot.
Pages: [1] 2