• May 05, 2024, 07:58:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: SR/F observations and questions  (Read 7028 times)

Ermahgerd

• View Profile
Re: SR/F observations and questions
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 10:11:38 PM »

Hard to tell what the factory settings are when so few ppl have their bike, but suspension is one of the most important things to set up properly on your bike. Stability can be an issue if set up wrong, but it also depends a lot on what you do with the bike and how your roads are. Gotta love those reviews complaining about suspension being too hard/soft when they have not even touched adjustment. A lot of bikes are set up for heavier passengers, there are some helpful videos on how to do it on youtube, if you don't feel save about doing it by yourself go to a local motorcycle dealer and get it set up for you.
Here's a short clip of the basics:
1996 Suzuki GSX 600F
2001 BMW R 1100S
2019 Yamaha MT 09 SP

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 11:43:02 PM »

Hard to tell what the factory settings are when so few ppl have their bike, but suspension is one of the most important things to set up properly on your bike. Stability can be an issue if set up wrong, but it also depends a lot on what you do with the bike and how your roads are. Gotta love those reviews complaining about suspension being too hard/soft when they have not even touched adjustment. A lot of bikes are set up for heavier passengers, there are some helpful videos on how to do it on youtube, if you don't feel save about doing it by yourself go to a local motorcycle dealer and get it set up for you.
Here's a short clip of the basics:

Excellent video on the subject: I am glad I asked, Ermahgerd, thanks a lot!!
I didn't realize the pros have that down to a science and you don't need to be shooting in the dark guessing for a starting point.

Now, on to the Web to find a good front wheel choke to adjust that baby the right way.
Again, I appreciate you responding with this invaluable info!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 12:43:40 AM by NetPro »
2020 Zero SR/F

Ermahgerd

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2019, 01:26:04 AM »

Glad i could help. You can probably do it with the wall-leaning if you want to save money on the choke. I had the same problem on a demo i tried (similar to your weight) and it felt like a new bike after adjusting the suspension. Keep us informed how it behaves after you set it up for your weight and riding style.  I have not ridden showa-suspension yet but since it is adjustable it should do the job for most riders.
1996 Suzuki GSX 600F
2001 BMW R 1100S
2019 Yamaha MT 09 SP

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2019, 06:34:16 PM »

Here is a question for those that have ridden both, an SR/F AND an Energica or Lightning (or similar bike at this power level).
Is their noise level about the same between them while cruising at low speeds? Say 30/40 mph.

My SR/F makes that "electric kind of whine" characteristic of EV's of course, but I was wondering if they all have it at about the same level or if it is louder on the Zero bikes.
While riding in a quiet neighborhood, around 30 mph, I notice pedestrians way ahead of me turning their heads when they hear the noise from my bike approaching and I wonder if other brands -of this size, of course- are as noisy.
2020 Zero SR/F

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2019, 06:52:40 PM »

While I’ve only ridden the Zero DSR and SR/F, from what I’ve read in other reviews, the Energicas tend to run louder due mainly to the chain final drive and other mechanical bits.

Personally I felt the Zero’s were extremely quiet when compared to my Triumph Trophy’s stock exhaust which is one of the quietest ICE bikes I’ve ridden in 20 years.

Even watching a few co-workers ride their Zeros (DSRs and SRs) into the office parking lot they were quieter than the crap load of Teslas our office has in the parking lots.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2019, 07:48:40 PM »

While I’ve only ridden the Zero DSR and SR/F, from what I’ve read in other reviews, the Energicas tend to run louder due mainly to the chain final drive and other mechanical bits.

Personally I felt the Zero’s were extremely quiet when compared to my Triumph Trophy’s stock exhaust which is one of the quietest ICE bikes I’ve ridden in 20 years.

Even watching a few co-workers ride their Zeros (DSRs and SRs) into the office parking lot they were quieter than the crap load of Teslas our office has in the parking lots.

Yeah, I know all EV produce sounds coming from different sources. Heck, I usually rent Segways when vacationing in Europe and even them, with a maximum speed of 12 mph, make some noise when compared to a electric bicycle.
Part of it, I believe, is having a high torque.
I just thought the SR/F, while going steady at say 25/30 mph on a flat road, would make less noise but I am not complaining, just trying to determine if it is normal.
After all, I got a dealer demo and it could be different on the production units.
By the way, I got an OTA firmware update (cool  8) feature)  couple of days after I received the bike and brake regeneration sound is slightly different -using always the same Ride Mode- but other than that, I don't feel any difference.
2020 Zero SR/F

boardwalk

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 08:47:39 PM »

Here is a question for those that have ridden both, an SR/F AND an Energica or Lightning (or similar bike at this power level).
Is their noise level about the same between them while cruising at low speeds? Say 30/40 mph.

I haven't ridden an SR/F yet, but I rode a SR and an Eva back to back, and the Energica was noticably louder. Not annoyingly so or anything, but louder. I found it fairly enjoyable, really. And it didn't seem like a chain-vs-belt thing, because it was a louder electric motor "jet turbine" whine.

TireFryer426

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 12:01:23 AM »

The Energica bikes have a gear reducer, so they will be louder than the SR/F all across the spectrum.  They make a much more distinct noise.  You can hear it in some of the youtube videos out there.  Some of the articles I read said Energica engineered it that way intentionally.  They wanted it to make a unique noise, but also use a more standard sprocket size.
Sounds like a transmission with straight cut gears, or a gear drive timing set in a car.
The SR/F just makes a noise thats more like a hum than a whine.

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 01:02:55 AM »

My SR/F sings at that speed range.
It growls if you whack the throttle off the line.  I assume this is the belt/tooth noise.
A wet belt makes a similar growl even without going full throttle (because, you know, wet)

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2019, 01:13:22 AM »

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

Now that I have that out of my system, is anyone else seeing constant notifications from the app?
The bike completed charging overnight.  I had intended to ride today so I charged it to 100%.  My wife reminded me we were carpooling today so no rides today.

As a side note, I just found the scheduled charging on the app.  I can't wait to try having it stop the charge at a specific %.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 01:53:24 AM by vinceherman »

Naked

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2019, 02:02:23 AM »

Has anyone played with the settings on the front or rear suspension of the SRF?
I weigh 185lbs and the bike feels a bit hard for me, like if it was set for maybe someone much heavier.
Before I change those settings, would there be any drawback? I don't plan on riding with a passenger ever.
Stability or handling issues if set too low/soft?

FWIW, the manual states that the suspension is set up for a 200 lb rider (180 lb rider wearing 20 lb of gear).
2020 Blue SR/F Premium
2012 Triumph Street Triple R

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2019, 06:57:07 AM »

It growls if you whack the throttle off the line.  I assume this is the belt/tooth noise.
A wet belt makes a similar growl even without going full throttle (because, you know, wet)

I would check the belt tension. If it were me, I would loosen the belt to the lower end of the recommendation. It may help reduce the noise. I know by experience a tight belt is noisier.

ZeroBrian

• Charging Forward!
    • View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2019, 10:56:02 AM »

I would check the belt tension. If it were me, I would loosen the belt to the lower end of the recommendation. It may help reduce the noise. I know by experience a tight belt is noisier.

Do not loosen the belt unless you want to risk skipping a tooth and breaking it.  The belts break in over a period of about 200 miles in my experience and that low groan goes away or is greatly reduced.  Same thing to keep in mind on the suspension... until you hit about 400 miles, it's going to feel a bit more harsh than intended. 

I'm approaching 500 miles on my personal bike (Boardwalk Red, Premium) and love it!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 11:08:19 AM by ZeroBrian »
VP of Product Development

2020 Zero SR/F, Boardwalk Red, Premium

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2019, 12:12:17 PM »

I'm approaching 500 miles on my personal bike (Boardwalk Red, Premium) and love it!

Off topic but I see you're signed up for Refuel in the production class; are you bringing your SR/F to the mix?

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2019, 06:00:09 PM »

I am glad to hear that both, the belt noise and the perceived suspension stiffness may improve after a break-in period.
I will put on some miles this weekend and see what happens.
By the way, when I received my dealer demo with 50 miles on it, I had already purchased the tension gauge recommended elsewhere in this forum and it was set at about 70 kg.
Given that the range is 51 to 102, I figured that I should leave it alone and just monitor the effect of a few hundred miles on it.

Thanks for the info, ZeroBrian, it makes sense that after the break-in period, both suspension and belt noise would get a bit better.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 06:05:55 PM by NetPro »
2020 Zero SR/F
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9