• May 16, 2024, 11:02:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Comparing '17 Eva to SR/F and having to make a decision...  (Read 2373 times)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: Comparing '17 Eva to SR/F and having to make a decision...
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 08:12:37 PM »

.  Zero starts the warranty clock when they ship to the dealer not when you buy the bike so a "new" 2016 Zero would have no full coverage warranty.  I don't know what Energica's rules are.

Either way it's sounds like you'll have a very nice bike in the near future.   :)

Incorrect, at least in the UK. I bought my 2014DS in January 2016, which is when it was registered.  Registration date should trigger the start of the warranty period. To prove the point, the BMS was replaced on my bike last Autumn.  The warranty was extended to 3 years as a gesture of goodwill after a few warranty claims rendered my bike off-road for a few months.

If a dealer receives a bike and immediately registers it so it can be used as a demonstrator, then naturally the warranty starts from then.

That's my understanding and experience of it, at least. It would seem very unfair to do otherwise. Maybe different rules apply in different jurisdictions?

Come on Bonkers, I posted the exact warranty policy off Zero's website.  Your right for what happened on your MY14, same as my MY13 but now that's changed and my statement about a MY16 or MY17 is correct.
I've talked to Zero reps at HQ and they will tell you when your bikes warranty runs out and it goes with the "shipment date" not when it's sold or even registered. (For a demo bike not one that's ordered) I sent them emails asking them to rethink this policy but so far they are sticking to it.

I'm not mad but our old warranty rules don't apply now and guys looking should know what they are getting into.

On the other subject on getting a new bike I'm glad to see you still have your DS and that SRF could be your reward for waiting through the other model years.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 08:14:35 PM by NEW2elec »

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2019, 08:22:49 PM »

Wait a minute here!

Are you saying the premium SRF will only charge at 3.3 even if I plug it into a charge port which delivers 7kW? I don’t think that is correct, that review video with the British guy shows him charging on a 7kW port and the estimated time from empty to full was around 2 hours, which isn’t 3.3.

Someone clarify this please:)

No that's not right.  The "standard" SRF has 3.3kw charging.  The "premium" comes with 6.6kw charging.  You can add a charge tank later to add 6.6kw more charging to either setup.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2019, 09:20:05 PM »

.  Zero starts the warranty clock when they ship to the dealer not when you buy the bike so a "new" 2016 Zero would have no full coverage warranty.  I don't know what Energica's rules are.

Either way it's sounds like you'll have a very nice bike in the near future.   :)

Incorrect, at least in the UK. I bought my 2014DS in January 2016, which is when it was registered.  Registration date should trigger the start of the warranty period. To prove the point, the BMS was replaced on my bike last Autumn.  The warranty was extended to 3 years as a gesture of goodwill after a few warranty claims rendered my bike off-road for a few months.

If a dealer receives a bike and immediately registers it so it can be used as a demonstrator, then naturally the warranty starts from then.

That's my understanding and experience of it, at least. It would seem very unfair to do otherwise. Maybe different rules apply in different jurisdictions?

Come on Bonkers, I posted the exact warranty policy off Zero's website.  Your right for what happened on your MY14, same as my MY13 but now that's changed and my statement about a MY16 or MY17 is correct.
I've talked to Zero reps at HQ and they will tell you when your bikes warranty runs out and it goes with the "shipment date" not when it's sold or even registered. (For a demo bike not one that's ordered) I sent them emails asking them to rethink this policy but so far they are sticking to it.

I'm not mad but our old warranty rules don't apply now and guys looking should know what they are getting into.

On the other subject on getting a new bike I'm glad to see you still have your DS and that SRF could be your reward for waiting through the other model years.

Ok, my mistake. I didn't realise it had changed. Apologies. 

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2019, 09:28:02 PM »

Wait a minute here!

Are you saying the premium SRF will only charge at 3.3 even if I plug it into a charge port which delivers 7kW? I don’t think that is correct, that review video with the British guy shows him charging on a 7kW port and the estimated time from empty to full was around 2 hours, which isn’t 3.3.

Yes, that's exactly right.  The British guy doing the review for Bennetts charged twice. After his initial run the battery was empty. He plugged into a 7kW post and IIRC, the Zero reported charging at 2.8kW and time to full of something like three hours and 45 minutes.  He spent 2hrs 30m in Bike Stop before returning to find SoC at 75%. I hope I've got that correct, I can't check just now.

That wasn't enough to get him home so he stopped for a coffee at a three phase AC charger to add a bit more. That gave him the full 6.6kW because the second 3.3kW unit was able to use the second phase.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2019, 09:38:10 PM »

Wait a minute here!

No that's not right.  The "standard" SRF has 3.3kw charging.  The "premium" comes with 6.6kw charging.  You can add a charge tank later to add 6.6kw more charging to either setup.

The way it works is that on the premium SRF they just fit an additional 3.3kW on-board charger. It is a separate unit that has to use a different phase of the AC supply, if one exists. They are mapped to phase 1 and 2 respectively.  If you buy a charge tank, that is a 6.6kW unit which is wired to phase 3.

I just wish they hadn't done it that way and just developed a single 6.6kW on-board charger.

reini

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2019, 10:21:07 PM »

Keep in mind the charging figures. Enerigica is super cool when you can charge via CCS but if you have to stick to AC charging, then there is only 3kW available. When you have plenty of DC charging stations thats a minor issue but if you plan a trip through the mountains (of Switzerland and Austria for excample), you'll find loads of AC stations but hardly any CCS. Hence I have ordered a SR/F premium with the additional 6kW.

At least in Austria the situation is not as grim as you put it. The attached screenshot shows all CCS chargers listed on goingelectric.de
Energica SS9+

gstrub

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2019, 10:43:49 PM »

Regarding the charging:

I think in the video with the British guy, he said he plugged into a low voltage charger the first time. The second time was on a regular 7kW charger.

I think you are the only one contending that a premium SRF plugged into a 7kW charger will not charge at 6kW. I don’t think this is accurate from what I’ve read on this forum. What would be the point then of the premium charging option?

Coastal

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2019, 11:59:50 PM »

There would be a mutiny if NA SRF premium owners could only charge at 3.3KW on L2 chargers (my home charger is rated at 7.7 and most around here are 7 - 10).  I would accept having to use two ports for on the road 13.2 KW charging but NOT for 6.6.  I still believe it was a mistake not having CCS charging and I am second guessing my order. 

zugvogel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2019, 01:18:26 AM »

I feel this certainly requires a solid and firm answer; too much speculation whether a US model premium can or can not charge at 6.6kW at the public J stations. I’ll head up to my dealer tomorrow (Hollywood Electric) and see if I can get this cleared up.
It would be madness if the two chargers were not capable of supporting our prevalent charging infrastructure here in California - for cryin’ out... the bike is built here! ;D

I’ll report back.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 01:20:53 AM by zugvogel »
...loving my Eva

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2019, 01:23:53 AM »

I feel this certainly requires a solid and firm answer; too much speculation whether a US model premium can or can not charge at 6.6kW at the public J stations. I’ll head up to my dealer tomorrow (Hollywood Electric) and see if I can get this cleared up.
It would be madness if the two chargers were on two separate phases and therefore completely useless in our charging infrastructure here in the US...

I’ll report back.

That's great! I'll be interested to hear what you come back with.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2019, 05:28:29 AM »

Y'all seem to be confusing our charger units with Zero's. The SR/F has 3 or 6kW onboard charging, not 3.3 or 6.6kW. The Energica also has a 3kW onboard unit.

Our digiNow units are 3.3, 6.6, or 9.9kW.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2019, 05:32:39 AM »

Regarding the charging:

I think in the video with the British guy, he said he plugged into a low voltage charger the first time. The second time was on a regular 7kW charger.

I think you are the only one contending that a premium SRF plugged into a 7kW charger will not charge at 6kW. I don’t think this is accurate from what I’ve read on this forum. What would be the point then of the premium charging option?

The first charging post was a 'slow' charger, in his words. I've checked all the charging posts within walking distance of Bike Stop and they are all rated at 7kW.  That means it is a single phase outlet and only one of the 3.3kW on-board chargers can be utilized.  That is demonstrated when he plugs in and it only charges at 2.8kW and time to charge is 3hrs 47m.  He returns after 2h 30m to a 75% SoC.  That's your proof that the bike was only charging at 3kW from a 7kW post.  Later he charges from a 3 phase rapid charger which can utilise both on-board chargers and charge at 6kW.

That's how it works here in Europe.  In the UK, there are many more single phase 7kW posts than  3 phase rapid chargers, so yes, it's a problem.

It might be a different story with the charging infrastructure in the US.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2019, 05:35:57 AM »

Y'all seem to be confusing our charger units with Zero's. The SR/F has 3 or 6kW onboard charging, not 3.3 or 6.6kW. The Energica also has a 3kW onboard unit.

Our digiNow units are 3.3, 6.6, or 9.9kW.

Yes, and that would help explain why the Bennetts reviewer only got 2.8kW going to the battery.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2019, 06:04:27 AM »

There would be a mutiny if NA SRF premium owners could only charge at 3.3KW on L2 chargers (my home charger is rated at 7.7 and most around here are 7 - 10).  I would accept having to use two ports for on the road 13.2 KW charging but NOT for 6.6.  I still believe it was a mistake not having CCS charging and I am second guessing my order.

I got this from the SRF owners manual, regarding charging in Europe using the Mennekes standard:

Charging station requirements:
Single phase for Standard SR/F (single 3 kW charger)
3-Phase for Premium SR/F (to utilize second 3 kW
charger*

*Premium SR/F 3 kW charger utilizes power supplied from pin
specific to a 3-phase charging point.

On reviewing the US J1772 standard, it appears that it only supports a single phase AC supply:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

I think the on-board chargers are wired differently in the US so that they both draw from the same single phase, therefore both chargers are utilised when connecting to a single J plug. 

The two different standards have created confusion. It's only here in Europe, for those of us using the Mennekes standard, that can only charge at 3kW from a 7kW post.

In the US, you can use a Y-adapter to combine the power from two J plugs and charge at 12kW if you have the charge tank fitted.

I hope that helps.

George Cowly

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2019, 12:31:54 AM »

At least in Austria the situation is not as grim as you put it. The attached screenshot shows all CCS chargers listed on goingelectric.de

Austria has a very good network indeed. Along the main routes they have lots of CCS. But in the side valleys it looks a bit different. Out of experience I know that these CCS chargers are sometimes out of service. And if you have only one charger every 100km it could get a bit tight with the range. At the moment you still do have a bigger choice with AC stations. So: no offence!
Pages: 1 [2] 3