General Category > Electric Motorcycle News

Should an electric motorcycle look like a gas bike?

(1/4) > >>

Alan Stewart:
Another creative take on electric motorcycle design.

https://electricmotorcycles.news/samuel-aguiar-designed-an-electric-motorbike-based-on-a-vectrix-platform/

MrDude_1:
ugh.

clay.leihy:

--- Quote from: MrDude_1 on December 19, 2017, 12:12:48 AM ---ugh.

--- End quote ---
I'm with you. I think electric bikes could certainly be "non-traditional" looking, but that one is just ugly. (IMO)

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

MrDude_1:

--- Quote from: clay.leihy on December 19, 2017, 12:35:38 AM ---

--- End quote ---
I'm with you. I think electric bikes could certainly be "non-traditional" looking, but that one is just ugly. (IMO)

--- End quote ---

I believe form should follow function.
Since I am looking at mostly on-road, higher speed motorcycles with good handling, I expect:
a seat set into the bike,
 a section of bike infront of the seat with some kind of scalloped area for locking my legs in,
pegs under me that I can weigh easily,
bars low enough that my body is not up in the air, and so that at speed the wind holds me in a neutral weighed position.
I expect a HIGH (yes, high) and about 70% forward center of gravity that lets the bike turn easily and keeps the front weighted down
I expect a short wheelbase and reasonable suspension geometry.

So... with that said.. you can go nuts, but STYLE wise, like all motorsports vehicles, organic lines are sexy. flat slabs are not. simple curves are not. having no concave shapes generally are not.
You can have it be "open" and look like parts are missing or fully covered. You can have it be direct with a line from steering head to swingarm pivot or a sweeping stylized curve... whatever looks good and works. It doesnt have to be a purebred racebike.  But if its not for function, it better be pretty.

Richard230:

--- Quote from: MrDude_1 on December 19, 2017, 07:47:04 PM ---
--- Quote from: clay.leihy on December 19, 2017, 12:35:38 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I believe form should follow function.
Since I am looking at mostly on-road, higher speed motorcycles with good handling, I expect:
a seat set into the bike,
 a section of bike infront of the seat with some kind of scalloped area for locking my legs in,
pegs under me that I can weigh easily,
bars low enough that my body is not up in the air, and so that at speed the wind holds me in a neutral weighed position.
I expect a HIGH (yes, high) and about 70% forward center of gravity that lets the bike turn easily and keeps the front weighted down
I expect a short wheelbase and reasonable suspension geometry.

So... with that said.. you can go nuts, but STYLE wise, like all motorsports vehicles, organic lines are sexy. flat slabs are not. simple curves are not. having no concave shapes generally are not.
You can have it be "open" and look like parts are missing or fully covered. You can have it be direct with a line from steering head to swingarm pivot or a sweeping stylized curve... whatever looks good and works. It doesnt have to be a purebred racebike.  But if its not for function, it better be pretty.

--- End quote ---

So what did you think of the Dan Gurney Alligator?  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version