Tech > Parts, Mods And Hacks

Stebel Nautilus Horn Connection Question

(1/1)

BamBam:
Well as most of us all already know, the horn on theses bikes (at least on the FXS) is pretty whimpy. In fact, this is true of most motorcycles so I always replace the stock horn with a Stebel Nautilus air horn.  The Stebel horn draws a considerable amount of current.  I think somewhere around 18A from what I've read.  So my question is what is the best way to power this horn.

I know about the aux port on my bike, but that is only rated for 10A.  Could I go ahead and use this power source anyway and just upgrade the wiring from the fuse box?  Or is there a way the connect the horn directly to the battery or the DC-DC converter?  I don't know what the converter is or where it's located, but would that be a safe option?

Thanks

MrDude_1:
While I always add a horn relay to motorcycles so its louder, are you SURE that horn pulls 18a? that seems like a lot.

Erasmo:
IIRC the Nautilus uses a compressor, that 18A might be the ramping up current from stagnant.(Not really sure if it worded correctly this way, can't find the proper English term for it ::))

BamBam:
Right, I know I have to use a relay with the Stebel horn.  On my other bikes I connected the power directly at the battery terminals with an inline 30A fuse and a relay.  I'm too new to the Zero to know if that is possible on my FXS.

Here is something I pulled off the internet regarding the current draw.

"It requires an auxiliary relay, rated for >19 amps.

There is a wiring diagram on this thread:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/72369-Advice-needed-Stebel-Nautilus-fitting?highlight=nautilus

Look for my post.

Don't just wire it through a fuse and the original switch - it'll either cut out the CANBUS (if you are on a 1200) or fry the switch ultimately."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version