• May 09, 2024, 03:52:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Growling sound while accelerating only when wet.  (Read 1334 times)

morimaxx

• View Profile
    • My personal blog (german only)
Growling sound while accelerating only when wet.
« on: August 16, 2014, 02:17:12 AM »

My Zero S 2013 makes a growling sound while accelerating especially at low RPM, but only when it's getting wet.
Any idea what it is? The belt? Or is there getting some water into connectors causing fault current?

kensiko

• View Profile
Re: Growling sound while accelerating only when wet.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 02:35:24 AM »

Same thing here, I think so. The sound of the motor is different when wet. I assume it is an electrical/magnetic noise, the noise is different due to water on the cables/motor.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 03:09:34 AM »

Yes, this is a common symptom, discussed last year (I'm too lazy to find the threads at the moment). I'm over-experienced with this on my 2013 DS here in wet Seattle since I ride all year.

The general gist of it is that the growling is from the belt getting a bit dirty when wet. I usually just keep the torque down when I start hearing it. I have trouble getting my bike around to the part of my house with a hose, or else I'd give it a washing when that happens, but washing seems to work.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 04:02:39 AM »

I have MetroVac Datavac blower that I use not only to dry out my bikes completely around nooks and crannies, but also to blow dirt off of the sprockets and belt on the Zero. It's like a leaf blower only smaller. It's a nice tool to have.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 08:41:51 AM »

i'm pretty sure that problem is coming from the encoder.

I had and still have a bit this problem on my 2012 S original motor and also now even with the new 2013 motor installed on it.

When i experience this sound i also observe that the motor have a bit less power. I think the encoder is affected by humidity and have difficult to give a proper timed  and clean signal to the controller when air aroiund it is wet. I dont have any more plausible conclusion.

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

NanoMech

• Head Wrangler
  • Portola Valley, California
    • View Profile
    • Angler Wranglers Demolition Co., est 1895
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 08:19:43 AM »

My 2014 DS started growling, with a very low frequence frame vibration. It was exacerbated by adding more torque, but still present with throttle roll-off. It is most apparent, by far, when leaning into a curve between 15-30 mph, disappearing completely, to my hearing and tactile senses, above 30mph.

I assume it is belt resonance introduced by the drive sprocket and, possibly, a too-tight belt (mine is 10# above spec, but shop indicated the spec was raised that much and the manual not updated) that may be walking to the edges of the drive and driven sprockets. It occurred before and after washing the belt.

I, too, use an electric leaf blower on the bike after washing. The second wash and blow resulted in strange instrument screen fluctuations. The instrument was functional a few hours after allowing the bike to sit in the warm 80 degree sun. I now use the blower at very low speeds to avoid forcing moisture into the cable and cooling thru-holes/slots in instruments and other modules.
2014 Zero DS "Wrangler", PowerTank, 25T drive sprocket: www.AnglerWranglers.com
Pages: [1]