• May 05, 2024, 06:43:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2012 Zero DS zf9 is perfect!  (Read 1547 times)

DesignerDan

• View Profile
2012 Zero DS zf9 is perfect!
« on: April 18, 2013, 06:24:55 AM »

I have been riding this bike for a little while now while Zero fixes my '13 bike. I have to say, this bike gets the job done. The range is impressive; I can easily achieve 80 miles per charge zipping around town at 55 mph. 100 miles per charge also seems very achievable if you keep the speed pegged at 45mph constant. If the speed limits around my town were 35mph (and not 45), the 112 miles per charge is definitely accurate. (possibly more than 112) I like the feel of the bike; it sits pretty high off of the ground. It is a comfortable, upright riding position. The bike is lightweight and easy to maneuver at slow speeds. It handles pretty well off road and it's nice not having to manipulate a clutch while you're going over rough terrain. Around town, this thing is pretty zippy and very fun. I find myself cruising around on it every evening just for fun. The styling is also nice and I've gotten a lot of compliments for having a "nice bike".

Overall, I'm really impressed with this bike. I really love riding it and it saves me a lot of gas money. I've put 600 miles on the bike and not a single problem. I honestly find the Zero's more enjoyable than gas bikes. But that's just me.

Biggest complaint: No passenger pegs :(

Biggest positive: Driving an EV :)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: 2012 Zero DS zf9 is perfect!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 06:35:20 AM »

Zero sells (or did sell) passenger pegs and a passenger seat strap to go with it.  I saw this setup on Matt's 2012 Zero S.  It looks well designed, except for the passenger strap, which is pretty much useless for the passenger to hang on to.  Hanging on to the rider would be much more secure.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

SunPropulsion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 11:35:07 PM »

I agree, I love my 2012 DS, the range that Zero publishes is accurate. I've got over 4000 miles on mine. I have the foot pegs from zero and their great, look good but were pretty expensive. Before I got the passenger pegs I ran a piece of PVC through the frame hole. I also have a second charger, the charger fits nicely in the Zero seat  pack so I can bring it along if I want, two chargers will run off one 20amp receptical. I charge mostly at home on my OFF Grid solar system as well.

nicktulloh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 05:15:53 AM »

I have the Zero passenger pegs on mine and they work fine, just wish they weren't that cheap chrome. Didn't even bother with the strap. Seemed dumb on regular bikes 45 years ago and still seems dumb today.

The ride on the DS improves dramatically with Avons.

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 06:30:43 AM »

I have been riding this bike for a little while now while Zero fixes my '13 bike. I have to say, this bike gets the job done. The range is impressive; I can easily achieve 80 miles per charge zipping around town at 55 mph. 100 miles per charge also seems very achievable if you keep the speed pegged at 45mph constant. If the speed limits around my town were 35mph (and not 45), the 112 miles per charge is definitely accurate. (possibly more than 112) I like the feel of the bike; it sits pretty high off of the ground. It is a comfortable, upright riding position. The bike is lightweight and easy to maneuver at slow speeds. It handles pretty well off road and it's nice not having to manipulate a clutch while you're going over rough terrain. Around town, this thing is pretty zippy and very fun. I find myself cruising around on it every evening just for fun. The styling is also nice and I've gotten a lot of compliments for having a "nice bike".

Overall, I'm really impressed with this bike. I really love riding it and it saves me a lot of gas money. I've put 600 miles on the bike and not a single problem. I honestly find the Zero's more enjoyable than gas bikes. But that's just me.

Biggest complaint: No passenger pegs :(

Biggest positive: Driving an EV :)

I bought a 2011 and loved it. Then a 2012-9. Until recently I really LIKED the 2012 but now after a year plus riding, I have to admit, I CAN"T GET OFF OF IT! I friggin LOVE riding this machine. I'm addicted. Seriously it's magic. A motocycle is magic enough, as anyone who rides can attest. Those who don't will never "get it." But the Zero eliminates ALL of the annoying issues of ICE bikes and leaves the good stuff. I will skip 2013 and buy a 2014 because the 2012 is that good.  Who the heck knows what zero will have in store for 2014. Oh... if you are reading this and you don't have one, don't wait for 2014. Life's too short. The only reason I'm waiting is because the 2012 is so good (topic of thread) and I have one.

Rant over. I'm going for a ride.

dahlheim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 05:30:18 PM »

i'd like a better suspension, bigger wheels and a bit more throttle responsiveness from a stop.

oh yeah, and my other six bikes have been sitting in the garage since i got my 12ds9.  so yeah, i agree...

currently, 12 Zero DS ZF9, 07CRF450X, 03GL1800, 02R1150GS, 01XR650R, 00XR400R, 76GL1000

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 08:30:49 PM »

What is really great about riding an electric motorcycle is doing so away from traffic, such as traveling through the woods.  That is when you really appreciate and enjoy the Zero's quiet and smooth running motor.  Plus, not having to shift just provides one less thing that you don't have to do so that you can devote more of your attention to appreciating the environment around you.   ;D
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]