• May 15, 2024, 01:02:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Decided Not to Get the SR/F  (Read 3314 times)

Jarrett

• View Profile
Re: Decided Not to Get the SR/F
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2019, 12:16:06 AM »

They're similar battery capacities, actually. Zero's marketing number is 14.4kWh which turns into 11.62kWh nominal. Energica's nominal listing is 11.7kWh.

Doh!  Tricked by Zero marketing again.

If they had a DS type model, I would have been much more interested.

FuzzyTrace

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2019, 12:54:02 AM »

Very bummed about it but I also pulled my deposit after a test ride today.

Effortless power is definitely a perfect slogan for SR/F. Its a noticeable step up in power. Thanks to the larger tire profile, bike also feels more planted, less nervous over uneven pavement. Break feel and modulation is also significantly improved. Suspension still feels a bit gummy to me but it could be improved with additional tweaking. Dash is nice and bright and works great in all lighting conditions. And that's about where the pros end for me.

Before my test ride I did the same route I was planning to take on my 2018 SR for comparison. I rode both in sport mode, at the same pace, same temperature/weather conditions, etc. SR/F used around 27% more battery. I did the same route again after. Even more aggressively and it still used significantly less battery than SR/F. First red flag. Also noticed a lot more regen breaking on SR/F's sport mode by default in comparison to my bike. But I didn't mind that. Plenty of custom modes available to create a desired setup.

Second issue I had was ergonomics. I just couldn't get comfortable on it. Even though I'm only 5'10" all Zeros always felt a bit low for me. It's just what I got used to I guess. SR/F felt even more so. I wished the seat was at least 2" higher. To add to that, bike also felt quite cramped. Also out of habit I always ride on the balls of my feet so that only made things worse. I had to stretch my legs several times during the ride because they were falling asleep. Seat also felt like there are two potential positions on it - closer to the 'tank' resulting in a more upright position and further back, with the butt against the pillion seat, requiring more of a reach towards the handlebars. Neither one felt quite right but I settled on the former.
Mode switch control is also in an awkward position. It's larger than the turn signal control and it actually has a more positive feedback than the turn signal control so I often found myself hitting the mode switch instead of turn signals. Even when I hit the turn signal correctly I often had to look down because there is no positive notch/click/haptic feedback/anything indicating that the signal is engaged. I personally think it's a mistake to put similarly activated controls on the same hand and then make the less important one larger and better feeling. But, that's just me.

Another thing that concerned me was design and placement of the charge port housing and the bottom air inlet. I live in a pacific north west and ride all year round. At least half of that time is spent riding in wet conditions. Charge port housing looks like a water collection dish to me. While storage compartment hatch has a rubber seal around it, charge port only has a plastic insert that would not prevent water from coming in. Even if that amount of water was minuscule there is still no place for it to run off, no drainage. So you'd literally have to wait for it to evaporate. Not to mention it's one of the worst possible places to have any amount of water collecting for any amount of time. Issue with the bottom air inlet is similar. In wet conditions front tire will throw a lot of water into it. I know they moved the chargers on top of the battery this time but controller is now sitting on the bottom. I hope it's water ingress rating is adequate for that placement.

I also noticed quite pronounced vibration at lower speeds that I could only assume comes from the belt. Whether it's a sizing or tension issue I'm not sure. But like I said it's only noticeable below 30. Also, high voltage relay chewbacca groan it considerably louder too.

I really wanted this bike but I'll be sticking with my SR for the time being.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 01:26:48 AM by FuzzyTrace »

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2019, 01:04:54 AM »

I am in the market for another expensive bike.

But why would I buy a SR/F?

If I want power, the answer is obviously a liter bike. They are WAY faster than a SR/F, and generally less expensive. Even a 600 will out drag a SR/F. What's the point of the power if you can't beat out other bikes except off the stoplight when you catch the rider unawares?

If I want to tour, electric is obviously out even with "fast" charging. Really, who wants to sit around for an hour every hundred miles? Naked bikes suck at touring anyway. I'm thinking about one of those big BMWs, but don't want to deal with the inevitable warranty repairs on all that luxury stuff...

If I want a sweet, quiet, electric machine that is useful and zips me anywhere around town...well I already have that, it's a Zero FXS.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2019, 03:05:03 AM »

Before my test ride I did the same route I was planning to take on my 2018 SR for comparison. I rode both in sport mode, at the same pace, same temperature/weather conditions, etc. SR/F used around 27% more battery. I did the same route again after. Even more aggressively and it still used significantly less battery than SR/F.

I thought it was eating up power pretty quickly when I demo'ed it.

I wondered if it was just a fluke for me, but sounds like a feature.

Bummer, I really wanted to buy one too.  I ended up ordering a DSR with a Power Tank.  Not as much performance, but hopefully a good bit more range.

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2019, 05:28:34 AM »

I REALLY wish the DSR had traction control as I think I might enjoy a DSR with a Power Tank.  Looks like it will go about 118 miles on a charge, which is about double what my FX will do.  But they are still $19,000.
Dude, think about a used bike. I got a 2018 SR with power tank and ~3K miles for $13K. This is my second Zero. First was the same bike, new, 2016. My insurance settlement for the crashed 2016 (driver ran red light) paid for the 2018. I've seen a few comparable used Zeros at comparable prices. While I like buying new (don't we all?) I've no regrets.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2019, 06:12:41 AM »

I guess you have lots of used Zeros in your area.  I don't.

Hey, how does the SR compare in size/ergonomics to the CB500X?

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2019, 07:03:51 AM »

I guess you have lots of used Zeros in your area.  I don't.

Hey, how does the SR compare in size/ergonomics to the CB500X?

You can also buy used and have it shipped from anywhere in the country for about $500 or less via uship.com. Just make sure transporter has commercial cargo insurance. I transported 100's of used bikes thru uship for a few years. Very popular option.
I bought my used 2017 dsr with 1200 miles a year ago for $11,000 and absolutely love it.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2019, 10:37:29 AM »

If I want power, the answer is obviously a liter bike. They are WAY faster than a SR/F, and generally less expensive. Even a 600 will out drag a SR/F. What's the point of the power if you can't beat out other bikes except off the stoplight when you catch the rider unawares?
Since the SR/F has no clutch to slow the bike down, I wonder if that will be reality or just a spec.

FWIW, even my little Zero DS ZF 6.5 feels like it has a lot more guts than my Kaw 650.

-Don- Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2019, 10:45:50 AM »

I am in the market for another expensive bike.

But why would I buy a SR/F?

If I want power, the answer is obviously a liter bike.
If you can, buy both!  I use my ICE bikes on most longer trips. I use my electric bikes for shorter trips . . . .

And  . . . .

I put more miles on my two Zeros than I have with my  seven ICE bikes combined!  I ride the Zeros the most of all my bikes by far. Almost every day I ride a Zero. It's not that often where I wanna go is out of the range of an E-bike.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2019, 04:38:58 PM »

If you can, buy both!  I use my ICE bikes on most longer trips. I use my electric bikes for shorter trips . . . .

And  . . . .

I put more miles on my two Zeros than I have with my  seven ICE bikes combined!  I ride the Zeros the most of all my bikes by far. Almost every day I ride a Zero. It's not that often where I wanna go is out of the range of an E-bike.

I'm finding the same so far.  I've got 3 ICE bikes in the garage and one Zero FX.  The Zero FX gets ridden unless it can't make the trip, so the ICE bikes sit a lot these days.  Now with the DSR+PT coming, I suspect the ICE bikes are going to be sitting even longer than before.

I like riding long miles, but its usually a rare event that I get to.  If the DSR+PT can make 130 miles per charge, I suspect it will get 90% of my rides.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2019, 02:09:24 AM »

I'm finding the same so far.  I've got 3 ICE bikes in the garage and one Zero FX.  The Zero FX gets ridden unless it can't make the trip, so the ICE bikes sit a lot these days.  Now with the DSR+PT coming, I suspect the ICE bikes are going to be sitting even longer than before.

I like riding long miles, but its usually a rare event that I get to.  If the DSR+PT can make 130 miles per charge, I suspect it will get 90% of my rides.
The average male in the USA drives  around 45  miles per day.  Even my Zero DS ZF 6.5 can do that!

For the statistics on how much we drive, see here.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

chrisho

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2019, 05:02:15 PM »

The average male in the USA drives  around 45  miles per day.  Even my Zero DS ZF 6.5 can do that!

For the statistics on how much we drive, see here.

-Don-  Reno, NV
[/quote]

I won't justify a purchase by my commute, I have a TM3 which I am more than happy with and it pretty much eliminated even my desire for a convertible because of the glass roof and that all convertibles that I like as gas powered :P.   Still hasn't ruined my desire for a good old fashioned twin.

I originally was interested in the Zero because I like the technology but its not ready for rides i like to do solo and not at all with rides I do with friends. I have two circuits I like to solo ride but both are very much edge cases in mileage and I don't care to restrict myself, the rides with friends can be full day affairs and no EV motorcycle can do that.

So I am still waiting for authoritative reviews on what the SR/F range actually is

Ireek

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2019, 06:46:38 PM »

I think they should have basically copied the Honda NC750X, even with comparable power, folks that own the Honda don't complain about any lack of power, this will increase range for the ham fisted riders like me. 

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2019, 03:43:38 AM »

Today, I went to Eurocycles  in Reno which is the local Zero dealer. They have a SR/F.  Not for sale, demo model of course. Nice looking bike. I was going to go for a test ride, but here is what happened. As soon as it is turned on, the horn sounds. Turn key  off and on again and then no horn at all. I mean then the horn button will not work. Because of this, they would not let me ride it.

But in this bike, seems the horn is loud enough unlike the other Zeros where the horn must be changed (as is often the case with new bikes).

Also, how does one turn  off the heated grips?  They were stuck on and nobody there could find a way to turn them off. So what is the procedure for turning the heated grips  off and on, as no switch is labeled as such that we could fine.

I get the feeling this bike will have some bugs as do most new year models.

-Don-  Cold Springs Valley, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2019, 04:04:23 AM »

I think they should have basically copied the Honda NC750X, even with comparable power, folks that own the Honda don't complain about any lack of power, this will increase range for the ham fisted riders like me. 

FYI The DSR has more power than the Honda NC750X already, but it has the same range per kWh as the SR/F (stock, anyway).

Time will tell if modifications to an SR/F or same-platform model yield significant range gains.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4