• May 09, 2024, 07:21:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tools not needed for Zero maintenance  (Read 767 times)

turbojet

• View Profile
Tools not needed for Zero maintenance
« on: June 04, 2016, 11:03:21 PM »

I've seen several posts on tools needed to work on the Zero.  I would recommend a standard wrench and socket set including socket allen head and torx wrench sets.  However I was thinking, what don't I need to work on this bike.  Let's see, oil filter wrench, spark plug wrench, feeler gauges (anyone remember these?), chain tool, oil drain pan (and receptacles for the oil).  What else, transmission fluid, chain oil, clutch oil.  Carb tools. What about a timing light? (not every modern motorcycle has fuel injection and a computer control module.  My 2014 Suzuki DL650 is using state of the art 1996 technology.  Despite the hype for high tech ADV bikes many around the world travelers recommend getting the most simplest ICE bike you can find so you can fix it in Bolivia.)   
            Anything I forgot?
            It many ways working on the Zero is like working on a bicycle (except that a voltmeter might be needed).  As an ex-bicycle mechanic I've always enjoyed working on bicycles due to the fact they are cleaner and simpler machines.  However bicycles take many specialized tools to work on them (cassette remover, crank remover, pedal wrenches, headset wrenches, cable stretcher, third hand, etc).  It appears Zero might have leap frogged the bicycle industry in some ways.  My next commuter bicycle will probably have a Gates belt drive and internal geared hub. There are even CVT hubs out there for bicycles.   ::)

Killroy

• View Profile
Re: Tools not needed for Zero maintenance
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 12:27:48 AM »

Replace the chain tool with a belt tension gauge. 

You are also going to need a "cheater plug" (three prong to two prong converter) for the breaker popping on-board Zero charger.

Use a timer plug to take advantage of discounted off-peak electricity rates.

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 03:57:07 AM »

While it is true that the Zero is almost maintenance-free, ICE bikes are pretty darn good these days. My Honda has 8000 mile service intervals which I can live with. The only thing I wish I didn't have to maintain is that darn chain!
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 05:28:27 AM »

You need all the tools, plus more electonics tools, plus tools (software) that you can't buy... you'll also need diagrams and specs you can't get.

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 12:35:58 AM »

You need a CAN BUS adapter, which uses EIA/TIA-232 serial communication to talk to your computer and CAN protocol to talk to your motorcycle.

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=5364.msg38174#msg38174
Pages: [1]