• May 04, 2024, 08:30:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Need 2018 FreeRide Information  (Read 3412 times)

Marshm

• View Profile
Need 2018 FreeRide Information
« on: March 01, 2018, 04:30:05 AM »

Someone post something on the 2018 Freeride E.  Like the range they got in single track trails.  Feel free to throw in a helmet cam video as well. 

Fran K

• View Profile
Re: Need 2018 FreeRide Information
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 06:10:31 AM »

I think the someone to really help you out here is not in this country, USA.  Even if the safe range goes from 12 to 18 miles I doubt that is acceptable for most folks that post on internet forums.  It is more for someone that has 100 acres or so with lots of trail on it or someone that belongs to a club with a clubhouse.   Maybe someone that goes to motorhome campsites with motorhome electricity.  It is not necessarily the range but the range it powers down at and you could get stuck inbetween two hills.  Then there is the stress every time you miss a turn and are afraid you are lost.

Here is the place I got mine, last I knew they got 8 and still have one 2017 model.  At least they have information loaded on their website.  https://edelmannsales.com/Motorcycles-KTM-Freeride-E-XC-NG-2018-Troy-NY-e2b9a2af-e19e-4f74-a4c5-a82601347ce7G

I am not sure the 2018 model is much better except for the battery.  I like both forks the same not compression in one and rebound in the other.  I do not particularly like that change for 2018.  There are new left over 2017,  I did a search tempest search a few weeks ago and found one (with charger) in Virginia asking $7000 with less than 100 miles of course one can not be sure it is not a scam just looking at a listing.  I think the battery, a spare one was about $3500 last year.  Depending on the price one might be able to get a new left over or almost new used one and a new battery for the cost of a 2018.

This forum does not seem to have a location for where folks are.

I do not know what is in store for 2018.  Now there is stuff on the internet saying they will be like $14,000. but a few months ago there was stuff they would be less (than 2017) and lease the battery.

Hopefully someone can be more helpful than I can.

Here is another sort of similar bike I found wandering around the internet.  They actually post the parts sheets.  https://ridecake.com/
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 06:20:05 AM by Fran K »

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 12:30:18 AM »

The 2018 freeride seems to be available.  I can find listings for it on cycle trader.  Not from the same place I got my 2017 but two of the places I tried to get the 2017 from and was told no. It is also on the website of the place I got my 2017.  I think a search tempest search will turn up some results as that is how I stumbled across it looking to see if folks wanted to deal off their 2017.  There is no price, call for price everywhere, text that likely is for Europe that says essentially it is street legal but the picture shows no side reflectors and no brake pedal or turn signal.  No indication if they are leasing the battery as seems the case for the European market.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 12:58:35 AM by Fran K »

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 01:06:50 AM »

Fwiw... I just got a price of @ $16K for the Freeride E-XC, from a local KTM dealer.
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

Marshm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 02:22:54 AM »

I think 16k might price them out of doing much business.  Some times companies that do not want to make a certain product raise the price by a lot so they don't sell any. Hopefully KTM can do better with an E-bike. I am somewhat surprised they seem to be struggling so much. Maybe the people making the gas motors have some part in the development of the E-bike and they don't want it to succeed. 

Animal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 05:01:05 PM »

Hello. I'm new to this forum. But I boughed the new KTM Freeride E-XC 2019 NG. I can share my experience with the Freeride because this forum has helped me along the buying process.

Sory my bad english, I live in Finland so my native language is not english  :D

I have ride my Freeride 3 times for now. At temperatures close to 0 celsius.
Longest ride with one charge has been 49km ~ 30 miles. And longest time is around 2 hours, easy dirt road riding.
I love it! It's easy to drive offroad, no gears and instant torque at every speed makes it a great ride. In Finland price is around 12500 USD.
Mirrors and turn signals are delivered with the bike, but they are not installed. Connectors are ready, so it looks like plug and play installation kit.
If you have any questions, post it here and i'll tell what i have learned!

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 09:13:04 PM »

My question would be how many teeth of the front sprocket for your market?
Another question pertaining to the range would be was that the bike and battery temp 0 Celsius or the air temp and the bike was warm.

I think you have a few errors in your post.  I believe these electric motorcycles make max torque from stopped to a point and after that the torque falls off.  That point being when max hp is reached.  Then hp stays and with rpm increase torque drops off.

As far at the instant torque to me it seems that probably is the case in mode 3 but mode 2 seems to have a bit of a delay, probably mode 1 but have not used it too much.

Though I have seen advertising for the 2018 model not sure if they actually imported any.  It seems no 2018 improved battery is in the system to even get a price for.

Another question, Did you get a warranty? was it in print?  I got a 3 year word of mouth warranty.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 09:18:53 PM by Fran K »

Animal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 10:04:16 PM »

Front sprocket has 11 teeth and rear sprocket has 48 teeth. Bike and battery was taken from warm garage so the ecu did not reduce power. Ecu will reduce power if battery core temperature is lower than +9 celsius. Battery stays warm if you just ride the bike normally at 0 celsius. Friend of mine has got a 55 km range at asphalt in summer. I have to try sometime how far can i go with full charge, power mode 1 in summertime.

Another great change in 2018 NG model is the powermode 1 regenerative breaking, when you "apply the throttle off". If you are going to downhill for longer time, then you can really charge the battery and extend your ride.

3 year warranty for the battery. 1 year warranty for the rest of the bike. Bike's warranty is short because it is intended for race use. This is printed.

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 03:37:12 AM »

Hi !

I'm considering a KTM, but more for city use. For your 50 kilometers trip, did you use 100% of the battery ? Was it off road with lots of braking / accelerating, or on a smoother path ? How is the bike looking - like a real solid enduro bike, or a cheap plastic copy ?

Front sprocket has 11 teeth and rear sprocket has 48 teeth. Bike and battery was taken from warm garage so the ecu did not reduce power. Ecu will reduce power if battery core temperature is lower than +9 celsius. Battery stays warm if you just ride the bike normally at 0 celsius. Friend of mine has got a 55 km range at asphalt in summer. I have to try sometime how far can i go with full charge, power mode 1 in summertime.

Another great change in 2018 NG model is the powermode 1 regenerative breaking, when you "apply the throttle off". If you are going to downhill for longer time, then you can really charge the battery and extend your ride.

3 year warranty for the battery. 1 year warranty for the rest of the bike. Bike's warranty is short because it is intended for race use. This is printed.
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

Animal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 09:07:16 PM »

50km trip was half dirt road, smooth road, mainly 80km/h driving and other half was trail driving, 10-30km/h, smooth and easy enduro driving. I used the 100% of the battery. It is a real solid enduro, real KTM quality. Shocks are from WP, real quality, fully adjustable. Dealer says that you can wash the whole bike with pressure washer, it's not recommended to submerge the bike, but you don't have to scare if you submerge it while driving over streams.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 09:13:38 PM by Animal »

Animal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 06:13:34 PM »

I have been testing my new Freeride E-XC for a while. I have learned few things, some positive and something not so positive.
Bike is a solid piece. And the battery system is great. I have not seen any other manufacturer that have an easy to replace battery in a motorcycle. 2015 battery and the next generation 2018 battery are interchangeable. So the third generation battery will propably be all so. Future is difficult to predict, but if the third gen battery would be 20kg lighter, my freeride would be insane.

Bikes ECU will cut off some power if there is cold inside the battery. I have been freezing my KTM lower than -15 celsius. If you drive normally street driving for 5 km and "restart" the bike, battery will heat up and give full power. So this is not a real problem.

One real bad thing in this bike is the charger. Manual says that you can not leave it in wet climate. If I drive to work, I can't leave charger to outside power outlet for the day if it might rain. Only option for me is to carry the battery inside my office and charge it there  8)

So keep in mind that you should have some kind of garage or rain shelter for recharging if you do not want to remove the battery.

Sory my bad english  :) If you have any guestions pleace post it in here!

fstclyz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 01:42:33 AM »

Have any of you figured out how to charge this bike using a portable generator? 

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 02:28:32 AM »

The charger is labeled for 250 volts 50 cycles.  Probably this is the European standard.  It charges fine off a dryer socket or a motorhome socket with an extention cord made up with the appropriate ends here in the USA.  If you want to put an L6 socket with a 15 amp breaker and an L6 extension cord or park real close.  That is 60 cycles and gets called all sorts of things but the high 240's is generally what I measure and I do not know how accurate my volt meter is.  The Alta guys can charge off 240 volt gasoline generators so this model is likely similar.  I have not needed to charge off a generator or alternator.

After skipping 2018 and 2019 they have imported some for 2020.  I wish I know if they have something else coming in the near future.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 02:37:46 AM by Fran K »

fstclyz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 12:57:13 AM »

Thanks Fran K for the reply.  I'm going to try a Briggs and Stratton 5500w 240v generator with a L15 30 r and my L6 20 adapter.  The problem is these 240v gens are HEAVY.  What about using 2 110v receptacles off a 110v gen into a single L6 20?  I'm sure Ironbox Electric would make me the adapter.  Would that work electrically?   

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 02:03:13 AM »

You can parallel two inverter type generators but I can't see how to series them. (Upon re reading the above post this is not an answer.) They generally have a parallel kit availavle.  You might read on ktm talk or the Alta owners forum.  I would look at Yamaha or Honda models that put out 240.  I got a used pto generator for a tractor  for about the price range and it could charge a handful of these bikes, chances are if you have property to ride on it needs a tractor for maintance.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 02:06:49 AM by Fran K »
Pages: [1]