• May 04, 2024, 05:42:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Which 2018 ZERO FX Battery Option is most Practical ?  (Read 2050 times)

griffbl

• View Profile
Which 2018 ZERO FX Battery Option is most Practical ?
« on: October 22, 2017, 01:24:43 AM »

Howdy and thanks in advance for your help!

I would like to buy a 2018 FX.  I had originally thought I would buy a 3.6 and buy an extra battery.  I thought that might be a better way to take advantage of future battery enhancements.  But it is more expensive, and another charger is required if I want to charge a battery off the bike.  I just thought since some Police Departments etc. use these, that the batteries might be updated more frequently.  The 3.6 would allow me to enjoy a lighter motorcycle at times, by using a single battery when only one was required for range, etc.  But that benefit may be less than I envision vs. cost etc.  What do you guys think?  Also, does the 7.2 integrated version of the FX utilize the same 7.2 battery as on other models? If so, that would probably ensure battery upgrades in the future on my existing bike.  Thanks again for your help!

Brad in Dallas
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:35:33 PM by griffbl »

Keith

• View Profile
Re: Which 2018 ZERO FX Model to buy?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 02:57:40 AM »

Hi, I ride a 2016 FX so my opinion might count, or not. I would advise against the single pack unless your needs are very limited, as in short commute, little or no freeway. Range with one pack is very limited and the power is less at freeway speeds. But it is light and inexpensive.

Two packs is better. I like modular but it is now an extra cost so the 7.2 non-modular might be best, again depending on your needs. I wouldn't worry about upgrading the batteries, they only improve incrementally and 5 years is a great warranty.

Personally I went for the works and bought four packs and two external chargers. I ride off road mostly and to keep up with my friends gas bikes, I do 40 miles of trail in the morning, swap packs at lunch and ride the rest of the day, then charge all four overnight, two on the bike and two external. Then I'm ready to do it again the next day. That means I always have the range I want and it means I spent a lot of money.

I do ride with one pack sometimes. I have some single track on my own land and the lower weight is nice when range is not an issue. But for anything over 15 miles I use two. The power drops noticeably when the charge gets low.

It's a great bike, you'll love it, although the suspension doesn't match KTM or Alta. Hope this helps you to decide.
2016 Zero FX, 2014 KTM 1190

griffbl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 04:19:57 AM »

Hi, I ride a 2016 FX so my opinion might count, or not. I would advise against the single pack unless your needs are very limited, as in short commute, little or no freeway. Range with one pack is very limited and the power is less at freeway speeds. But it is light and inexpensive.

Two packs is better. I like modular but it is now an extra cost so the 7.2 non-modular might be best, again depending on your needs. I wouldn't worry about upgrading the batteries, they only improve incrementally and 5 years is a great warranty.

Personally I went for the works and bought four packs and two external chargers. I ride off road mostly and to keep up with my friends gas bikes, I do 40 miles of trail in the morning, swap packs at lunch and ride the rest of the day, then charge all four overnight, two on the bike and two external. Then I'm ready to do it again the next day. That means I always have the range I want and it means I spent a lot of money.

I do ride with one pack sometimes. I have some single track on my own land and the lower weight is nice when range is not an issue. But for anything over 15 miles I use two. The power drops noticeably when the charge gets low.

It's a great bike, you'll love it, although the suspension doesn't match KTM or Alta. Hope this helps you to decide.

Keith-

Thanks so much! That is very helpful! I ride mostly off road, fire roads, some pavement, but nothing ULTRA gnarly any more....so my use is similar to your own.  I am thinking the 7.2 non modular might be a good possibility also.  So it is probably 7.2 non-modular vs Modular with just two batteries and one external charger.  Do you notice a big difference in power with only one battery installed?

Thanks!

Brad

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 07:29:50 AM »

Below 45mph or so and with more than ~30% charge left, one pack feels just as powerful as two, maybe better because the 40lbs saved is significant. But at faster speeds or when running low on charge, you will miss the power you get from two packs. And of course the range is double with two. Also for offroad the chain kit is important, belts can break if you catch a rock or get any air or sudden torque load, even off a curb. The '17's and up have a heavier belt so it might be ok, don't know if anyone has really tried it for off road on those models, most run chains in the dirt even though they are not as quiet. Handguards are a must too I think. Have fun!
2016 Zero FX, 2014 KTM 1190

BamBam

• View Profile
Re: Which 2018 ZERO FX Battery Option is most Practical ?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 12:22:50 AM »

I have a 2017 FXS and went with the 6.5 non-modular option.  I knew that I would never be swapping out batteries so the extra money for the modular version would have not been a wise expenditure for me.  I use my FSX exclusively for commuting and running errands on city and suburban roads.  I can't see how one could justify the modular option with the additional cost and hassle of charging and carrying around extra batteries.  If you're worried that much about the range capability then you should probably look at a different model.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)
Pages: [1]