• May 14, 2024, 03:54:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Anyone using the Zero Commuter Screen?  (Read 454 times)

Nukie

• View Profile
Anyone using the Zero Commuter Screen?
« on: December 23, 2020, 10:43:32 PM »

Just purchased a Zero SR and was wondering if I should add a Zero Commuter Screen. The main reason would be to increase range by reducing drag, but not sure if this would do the trick. Maybe it's just meant for wind and rain protection? I'm in Colorado with 300 days of sun so wind/rain is not that big of a concern. Just wondering what anyone's experience has been if you have on installed. Thanks.
"Life is locomotion. If you're not moving, you're not living." – The Flash

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Anyone using the Zero Commuter Screen?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 11:54:02 PM »

The commuter screen helps if you plan on tucking in behind it.  Otherwise, the primary function seems to be to make highway riding less tiring.  It breaks up enough of the windflow hitting your chest that it doesn't become exhausting.  That's the reason I got it.  A few weeks of commuting back and forth to work (17 miles each way, all on the highway) was really beating me up.  The screen made a HUGE difference in that regard.  I guess that's why they call it the "Commuter Screen."
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 12:48:15 AM »

I installed Zero's touring screen (the one with the flip-up panel) on my bike and have been pretty happy with it. With the flipper down, my helmet is in smooth air, but the screen does a nice job of keeping wind pressure off of my chest. Range seems to have increased with the installation of the screen, too. What I don't like about it is that the mounting system is not designed correctly and wind pressure will push the screen backward unless you glue the plastic ball attachments to the screen as I did.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 04:20:30 AM »

I have the commuter screen and I don't know how much range it gives me.  Tucking behind it gives me about 5mph at 50mph.

I don't think it protects from rain any, I get pretty wet when it's raining.  But it does give me a clean airflow to sit in.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

caza

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 04:46:23 AM »

My bike had it, and it made a big difference on the highway. I think it increases range slightly, but not enough to be a huge difference. It seems to me the little range increases you get from having a fairing, tucking, handgaurds, etc are all insignificant next to just riding slower. Nothing will increase your range more noticeably than just decreasing speed.

I did have the same problem richard had with the mounting system. Occasionally the top of the windscreen would rotate towards me and had to be pushed back into place while riding. I tried tightening the connectors on the ball joint but it would always end up moving anyways. I still would rather have the windscreen than not, but it was definitely a minor annoyance.
2015 Zero SR + Power Tank

Nukie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 08:48:15 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback. Very helpful!
"Life is locomotion. If you're not moving, you're not living." – The Flash

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 09:13:23 PM »

I don't think it protects from rain any, I get pretty wet when it's raining.  But it does give me a clean airflow to sit in.

In the summer I wear my Nolan N70GT helmet in "Open-face mode."  The couple of times I got caught in a surprise rain shower it did protect my face when I tucked down behind it.  The rest of my body got soaked, though but at least my face wasn't getting all beat up.  That'll teach me to look at the radar map and NOT just at the forecast...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

victor6.7y

• ^.^
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 02:12:55 PM »

I have a Commuter Screen and hanguards on my Zero S.

In comfort it is a big difference compared to my previous naked bike. If you have an allowence for it, I would recommend it.

I am not sure about the increased range. When I have my range stable I will propably try to drive without the commuter screen to see the difference.

It helps against the wind and partly for the rain. Part of the water that is caught by the commuter screen is not being caught by your own jacket.
I am not that tall, so with I am in long distance driving position it is only my helmet that sticks out above. You will feel more speed (or wind  :P) when you drive without it  tho ;)
- 2019 Zero S 14.4
- 2000 Honda VTR 1000F
Pages: [1]