• April 28, 2024, 02:20:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: FXS LED Headlamp  (Read 508 times)

DaveMplano

• View Profile
FXS LED Headlamp
« on: February 23, 2020, 10:16:52 PM »

I have been disappointed with the performance of the headlamps on my 2016 FXS.  It is my daily driver for all but a few months (days this winter) and the dim headlamp has been an annoyance.  I replaced the OEM lamp with a Sylvania Silverstar lamp, which worked better for a while.  After a year, I noticed again poor light output.  Taking the headlamp apart, I discovered that the lamp had burned the reflector off of the housing--not good. I lined the housing with aluminum foil to buy time for H3 LEDs to become affordable.  I also found source of replacement low-beam headlamps and to be safe, bought two. 

A few weeks ago I bought a pair of Max5 H3 lamps from Amazon for $40.00.  Installation is easy, though since the lamps have a heatsink and fan on the back, I also stepped the headlamps out 1/2" to give them room (requires 30mm screws to mount) and am very pleased with the result.

It is not summer yet, so too soon to say if they hold up in the heat, but so far, so good.

No lit photo because it looks like about all the other LED headlight photos on the internet.

Recently

tynxt

• View Profile
    • backroad.city
Re: FXS LED Headlamp
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 06:10:36 PM »

Curious — how loud is the cooling system on those bulbs? I’m pretty ignorant on LED headlamp options/performance, but I happened to discover this kit from Rolling Wrench yesterday:

2019 FXS

DaveMplano

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 06:57:34 PM »

When in the garage and no radio or other noise, I can barely here the fan.  With a helmet or out sitting at a traffic light, the ambient sound is louder than the headlamp fan.

Because the Max5 lamps use an aluminum extrusion for the heatsink rather then braided webbing, they stick out the back making it necessary to install the 1/2" spacers to ensure the various wires to not touch the unguarded fans.

Because I ride in all weather, I bought new stainless steel 30mm screws, lock nuts, washers, and aluminum spacers.  Total hardware cost from a local shop was $31.00.  Further, I needed to drill out the spacers because they were inch-dimension with a slightly undersize hole.  If you go this route, be very careful drilling them out with an unmodified drill bit, as it is likely to hog into the metal.  To prevent this, see , which while explaining for brass, applies equally to aluminum.

In sum for me, $40 for the lamps plus $31 for hardware, total $71.  If you use zinc-plated screws and reuse the provided nuts and washers, say $6 for screws and $8 for spacers, total about $54.

So far I am very happy with the lamps, though still waiting for the heat of Dallas summer to see how they hold up then.

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 06:26:23 PM »

Did put 3$ H3 lamps from Alibaba. Same problem as you for the size, but works like a charm.
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

DaveMplano

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 06:32:13 PM »

Nice! 

I am a bit wary of Alibaba.  Prices are great, but I worry about the deals being too good.  :)
Pages: [1]