• April 29, 2024, 01:56:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Whiter - Brighter & Safer Headlights For Your Zero  (Read 9065 times)

BamBam

• View Profile
Re: Whiter - Brighter & Safer Headlights For Your Zero
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2019, 10:08:45 PM »

The only "H3" version I can find on Amazon are the fog lamps, and I don't know if that'll work (or is even recommended).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DO3JLYK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_znFUDb6MS81FV

I found this on the internet so it would appear that the Sylvania ZXE H3 bulb can be used in your headlight, but you should do your own research before buying them.

"What are H1 and H3 bulbs?
Before we get into the differences between H1 and H3 bulbs, let's discuss what exactly these bulbs are and their uses. H1 and H3 bulbs are both a type of halogen bulb. They're both approved for general use in the European Union, US, and Japan. This means that they can be used as headlights as well as for other purposes, such as fog lights, turn signals etc."
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2019, 11:24:27 PM »

New York is the only state I recall having a motorcycle inspection.  They more or less just checked that you had lights.

(d) Headlamp.   
1. Check presence/condition. NOTE: Certain motorcycles may have a head lamp system that "modulates" between high and low intensity. This is an allowed modification only if the system can be switched off for normal operation.   Reject if: 1. Not equipped with at least one approved, operating motorcycle headlamp. Lamp is not operational; not properly and securely mounted, lens is cracked, broken, covered, discolored or obstructed (such as shields, paint, etc.). Light is not white or does not operate properly in all switching positions. Lights do not have high and low beams.
(e) Other lights.   
1. Check tail, number plate, stop and turn signal lights, reflectors. NOTE: No lighting other than the headlamp(s) referenced in subdivision (d) of this section may be modulated; they must emit steady light.   Reject if: 1. Vehicle is not equipped with at least one tail and number plate light. If manufactured after October 1, 1968, one stop lamp. August 1985 and newer motorcycles must have turn signals. Does not have at least one Class B red reflector on rear (may be part of light lens).

I'm interested in lighting up the road better, but there seems to be such a wide array of opinions about what works well that I feel I'd end up buying and installing a few different options before I found something I was satisfied with.  The S7 that Clay used is the only one that made it into the wiki for the X platform.  Has anyone else used this? 

2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2019, 11:49:19 PM »

California does inspect your vehicle that you do the Driving Skills Test on for all safety features, lights, registration, insurance.

But how often do you take the skills test?  Like, once, ever, or maybe again if you let yor M endorsement lapse?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2019, 02:28:35 AM »

I took my skills test at age 15 in Santa Cruz, CA. It consisted of slaloming through a few traffic cones, turning around and doing the same thing the other direction, as slowly as I could without touching a foot down. 42 years later, they have yet to make me take another. Or even the written test.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2019, 04:53:25 AM »

When I started riding there was no motorcycle license.  You had to have an automobile license in order to drive a motorcycle.  So I applied for a temporary learner's license permit as I didn't own a car and kept renewing it every year until the state finally was forced to devise a motorcycle license as the "Nicest People" were clogging the roads on their Honda step-throughs and that got the attention of the state's legislators.   The test was to make a figure-8 in the DMV parking lot. I easily did that and passed.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2019, 05:12:49 AM »

Zero doesn't usually rate on web sites for replacement parts, but this place has them listed.
https://www.motorcycleid.com/2018-zero-zero-fxs-headlight-bulbs/

I don't know how well these fare compared to the ZXE bulbs but they do list themselves as "better" than stock.  Maybe I'll give these a whirl on my FXS.
Zero FXS 2020

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2020, 06:22:27 AM »

Zero doesn't usually rate on web sites for replacement parts, but this place has them listed.
https://www.motorcycleid.com/2018-zero-zero-fxs-headlight-bulbs/

I don't know how well these fare compared to the ZXE bulbs but they do list themselves as "better" than stock.  Maybe I'll give these a whirl on my FXS.

Well, these Putco bulbs are definitely not brighter than stock.  That was money wasted.  I ended up destroying the old one as I pulled it out, so I need to buy something new ASAP.  Recommendations for an FXS?
Zero FXS 2020
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]