• April 29, 2024, 07:34:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: ZF14.4 - True Range with 2014DS  (Read 3423 times)

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: ZF14.4 - True Range with 2014DS
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2020, 03:03:54 PM »

The SR has a lower profile; I think it may be a little lower and it encourages the rider to lean forward, thus presenting less to the wind.

The SR has normal road tyres, so there's much less rolling resistance.

However, your bike has the ZF13 battery, so less juice onboard...

You've inspired me to do a motorway run. Let's see if I can escape the household!

You're getting caught up in minutia. The SR also has wider bodywork. The fact that you're pinning the throttle is the most important factor in the range numbers you saw. Unless people specifically pin the throttle it's not even worth the discussion.

"Did you pin the throttle?"

"Well no, but I feel I was going quite very fast indeed"

"What speeds?"

"Oh quite fast for an indeterminate portion of the ride"

This is why my favorite useless phrase is "spirited riding". It's has no meaning. Get on an exceptionally twisty road and you're often doing 30-40 but it feels fast. Spirited, even. But oh hey look now I went 90 miles!

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2020, 03:20:46 PM »

The SR has a lower profile; I think it may be a little lower and it encourages the rider to lean forward, thus presenting less to the wind.

The SR has normal road tyres, so there's much less rolling resistance.

However, your bike has the ZF13 battery, so less juice onboard...

You've inspired me to do a motorway run. Let's see if I can escape the household!

You're getting caught up in minutia. The SR also has wider bodywork. The fact that you're pinning the throttle is the most important factor in the range numbers you saw. Unless people specifically pin the throttle it's not even worth the discussion.

"Did you pin the throttle?"

"Well no, but I feel I was going quite very fast indeed"

"What speeds?"

"Oh quite fast for an indeterminate portion of the ride"

This is why my favorite useless phrase is "spirited riding". It's has no meaning. Get on an exceptionally twisty road and you're often doing 30-40 but it feels fast. Spirited, even. But oh hey look now I went 90 miles!
That's hilarious Morgan! I've been guilty of using the term 'spirited riding' on numerous occasions.  You're right though, it is completely meaningless... Oops.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2020, 03:29:03 PM »

I managed to escape! My wife was pretty pissed off but seemed to have recovered by the time I got back.  If I'm not allowed some freedom, this Coronavirus will kill my marriage!

Here are the highlights...

Ride duration: 50 minutes.
Ending SoC: 6%
Miles ridden: 43.2 (is that the same as the last run? If so, WTF!)

I'm not getting nagged for having a poo, so I'll do a pepper write-up later.  For those of you who love the numbers, I've pulled the logs and will post them here in good time.

Now, let me see if we have any toilet paper...

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2020, 03:32:45 PM »

Are the tanks different sizes between the newer SR and DS?

Because the parts I have (2013+) are all the same size.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 03:35:03 PM »

Tank plastics on the DS line are narrower. Helps the bike look taller. Plastics on the S line are wider. Helps give the bike some substance visually.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2020, 05:20:06 PM »

Let us agree to define "spirited riding" as "that which would attract the attention of Plod".

Cas :)

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 03:39:39 AM »

I maintain it's whatever feels fast at the time. It could be 40mph and feel fast because it's full of tight corners. Why is why CA Hwy 9 is so wonderful for EV bikes.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 02:20:22 PM »

I maintain it's whatever feels fast at the time. It could be 40mph and feel fast because it's full of tight corners. Why is why CA Hwy 9 is so wonderful for EV bikes.
I'm with Morgan here, even though I've used the term many times myself without really thinking about it. From his earlier post onwards it's banned from my vocabulary, at least when talking about range.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2020, 02:29:42 PM »

Let us agree to define "spirited riding" as "that which would attract the attention of Plod".

That's a good definition, as long as we don't use it   in relation to range.  It's still quite vague though.

How's about this for a scale (also no relation to energy economy stats):

1.  Hypermiling
2. Pootling
3. Spirited riding
4. Hooning
5. Psycho mode (absolutely no regard for the safety of others, or indeed oneself. Often encouraged by heavy drinking or drugs).

My next job is to get the laptop out and parse my logs.  We've got at least one number nut following this thread! [emoji4]

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2020, 05:30:39 PM »

Range in psycho mode can often be as little as 200 yards...

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2020, 04:23:47 AM »

No, not really.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2020, 04:32:14 AM »

Range in psycho mode can often be as little as 200 yards...

Are you thinking of the one above psycho mode?

Suicide mode! [emoji12]

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2020, 04:45:55 AM »

I managed to do pootle run today. No rush, observing all speed limits, keeping the speed down on motorways to around 65 and so on. There were a few overtakes and full throttle moments, but generally the ride was at a relaxed pace.

Somehow, completely unplanned, I managed to get home with 6% SoC. Third time in a row!  This time my mileage was about 50% greater at 67.1 on the display.  I'd make that 65 true miles based on my experience.  I'm a little disappointed with that to be honest.  I did notice that when I unplugged the charging cable the SoC dropped from 100 to 97%.  Perhaps it hadn't finished charging fully?

If so, I wish it would just be honest about it on the dash.  114v seems a little low too.

I'll need to conduct another test for this type of run. I should also check the tyre pressures.  They don't lose much, so I've been a bit lax of late...

Curiously, the SoC dropped to 5% shortly after taking this photo, even though the bike was parked.  That's different from the first run when it jumped to 8% even while I was just parking the bike.

talon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2020, 05:23:51 AM »

Unfortunately I don't trust the the SoC indicator. While mine has seemed fairly accurate for the most part, it has randomly dropped from 10% to 0% before on a day full of riding with many partial charges/discharges (including regen) and completely locked me out from operating the bike. I'm guessing it changed accounting methods and recalibrated. Rested voltages are the only way to know. 6% means to me "anywhere from 0% to 15%", I'd prefer if the dash didn't show a percentage and just kept the battery gauge icon and showed voltage directly (electric cowboy modded this in via CAN only while charging for my CCU and live to someone's bike).

I've been meaning to finish my program to analyze logs and come up with a more accurate SoC to voltage look-up table that takes into account temperature and cell degradation, but I got swamped at work and I always feel like I'm reinventing the wheel when this has been done so many times.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
ZF14.4 - True Range with 2014DS
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2020, 10:02:42 AM »

Yes, the SoC indicator can be a bit hit and miss.  I've had much more confidence in going below 10 SoC since the new ZF14.4 battery was fitted though.

Voltage would be very helpful on the main display.

Good luck with finding time to write your program. Out of interest, what language would you write it in?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 10:04:38 AM by MostlyBonkers »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8