• April 29, 2024, 01:38:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: ZF14.4 - True Range with 2014DS  (Read 3425 times)

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
Re: ZF14.4 - True Range with 2014DS
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2020, 10:47:22 AM »

> I've been meaning to finish my program to analyze logs and come up with a more accurate SoC to voltage look-up table that takes into account temperature and cell degradation, but I got swamped at work and I always feel like I'm reinventing the wheel when this has been done so many times.

I don't know if anyone has done it rigorously and released the results.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2020, 04:31:57 PM »

The one time I had a ride on an Energica, it read 60% SOC in the showroom, only to plummet to 0% and conk out exactly 1 mile from the shop. Seems that voltage measurement isn't entirely reliable technology yet. Maybe it depends on having a lot more cells in parallel to get a better sample.

Cas :)

talon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2020, 04:39:19 PM »

I figured a data-driven model might be helpful. There's so much I wanted to do with it, including what Teslanomics did for releasing their analysis of how certain models of Tesla batteries were holding up over time. It would be so cool to interface with Hassler's page and scrape anonymous data (with users' consent) and see how Zeros across the board are doing. Start showing trends. (surely Zero has something like this on their support mail, aside from a decoder)

I did a small example long ago in Java for [my] ease in porting to Android. I thought it would be cool to be able to visualize logs right on the device that pulls them from the bike. I also wanted to look into doing it from the ground up in Python. It's been many years since I put on my programming hat, and everything is so easy now I feel like there is always an easier way than what I am doing.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2020, 06:46:07 PM »

Aha... I'm a Java programmer as it happens (https://www.puppygames.net) ... been coding for 40 years now.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2020, 11:15:53 PM »

The one time I had a ride on an Energica, it read 60% SOC in the showroom, only to plummet to 0% and conk out exactly 1 mile from the shop. Seems that voltage measurement isn't entirely reliable technology yet.

Really? What voltage was the bike reading?

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2020, 02:17:15 AM »

Didn't check that at the time as it has a "remaining range" reading which read "60 miles".

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2020, 03:41:29 AM »

So how are you blaming the voltage for being inaccurate? The range estimates are based off the last 10 miles. If someone drove around at 10 miles an hour, for whatever goddamn reason, for an entire hour it would show a ridiculous range which will quickly wear off as soon as the bike sees highway speeds. I'm guessing you also didn't look at the SoC.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2020, 03:48:56 AM »

He said it also had a 60% SoC though, no way that should be dropping to 0% in just a mile of riding.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2020, 03:52:12 AM »

At first he said 60% SoC and blamed the voltage for being unreliable. Then he said 60 miles and said he had no idea what the voltage was. I am merely clarifying.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2020, 05:06:25 AM »

I figured a data-driven model might be helpful. There's so much I wanted to do with it, including what Teslanomics did for releasing their analysis of how certain models of Tesla batteries were holding up over time. It would be so cool to interface with Hassler's page and scrape anonymous data (with users' consent) and see how Zeros across the board are doing. Start showing trends. (surely Zero has something like this on their support mail, aside from a decoder)

I did a small example long ago in Java for [my] ease in porting to Android. I thought it would be cool to be able to visualize logs right on the device that pulls them from the bike. I also wanted to look into doing it from the ground up in Python. It's been many years since I put on my programming hat, and everything is so easy now I feel like there is always an easier way than what I am doing.

Absolutely

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2020, 05:33:31 AM »

Sorry - I actually meant it had 60% SOC displayed - which the dealer said equated to about 60 miles. Don't know the voltage (and frankly don't care).

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2020, 03:04:16 PM »

Sorry - I actually meant it had 60% SOC displayed - which the dealer said equated to about 60 miles. Don't know the voltage (and frankly don't care).

Did the dealer mention how long it had been sat in the shop for? I'm guessing that it hadn't been ridden for a long time, along with you discovering a bug in the software.  Do Energicas drain their batteries when parked? My Zero is excellent at holding its charge for months and only dropping a   couple of percent.  However, I always fully charge it before riding after a stagnant period.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2020, 04:25:51 PM »

We pieced together what had happened back at the showroom. The trip meter on the bike read, very suspicously, 108 miles. It turned out it had been taken out for a long demo ride, then left with no charge in for some time and not plugged in (may have been for weeks). Somehow when switched back on, the system reckoned it had 60% SOC based on the voltage reading. It looks like the battery voltage must "collect" for a while while it's idle, resulting in a small surge of power for a little while, fooling the calculation. Were I an Energica engineer at this point I'd be thinking, it should probably maybe also take the last trip duration since charging into account to limit its estimates - in this case such a formula would have yielded a 0% SOC as there's no way it could have done 108 miles without draining pretty much the entire battery.

If the bike weren't unfortunately so bloody heavy (which is what you discover when you have to get it out of the main road in a hurry when it conks out...) that would have cost them the sale... but yeah it is too heavy, I could barely move it.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2020, 05:30:12 PM »

If the bike weren't unfortunately so bloody heavy (which is what you discover when you have to get it out of the main road in a hurry when it conks out...) that would have cost them the sale... but yeah it is too heavy, I could barely move it.

Interesting, Cas.

I’m a little confused by your last paragraph. Did the weight of the bike cost them the sale?

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2020, 06:30:29 PM »

Chances are I wouldn't have thought too much about the weight if it hadn't conked out, but as it is, the bike doing the exact one thing that everyone is paranoid about electric vehicles doing on its test ride was enough to make me decide "no". The SR/F was far easier to haul about, but if that had broken down in the same manner it would also be getting a "no". As it is I'm just far too poor to afford the SR/F anyway :P Still saving pennies, searching down back of sofa, etc

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8