• April 25, 2024, 05:45:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SR/F Firmware 17  (Read 769 times)

Tom_Ruyter

• View Profile
SR/F Firmware 17
« on: March 27, 2020, 06:10:34 PM »

A new one! But this one is slightly different.

I still haven't got it to take, normally takes around five attempts, but the bikes behaving differently this time.

When i fire the firmware update, it does it's checks (through the app) and then starts downloading. The lights all go out (like last time) and it seems to drop into an "Update" mode. But this time there's no long list of errors codes, nothing turns off and on again, it doesn't randomly make clicking noises. It just sits and does it's thing for 30 minutes, when the progress bars on the app both reach full, it changes to "Waiting for motorcycle" but then the bike appears to timeout and and the whole thing shuts down. Originally i assumed it was going to reboot, but after five minutes the bike was still "off" even with the key in the on position, but with no lights, display of any controls working.

I power cycled it myself, still on Version 16, but the bike never recorded any error codes and the whole thing just sprung back to life as if nothing had happend. No codes to clear, no random messages on the display. Is this progress of sorts?  ;)

One final observation, i wonder if this process needs to be completed within a certain time frame for it to work? The firmware update seems to take a while over the cellular here (Kent, UK), but the bike shuts down after thirty minutes of being on regardless of it's progress. I wonder if that's why this process is always flaky. I wonder if the bike tries to "shut down" due to inactivity even though the process is still ongoing and that's what borks the update process.

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
Re: SR/F Firmware 17
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 05:38:38 PM »

A new one! But this one is slightly different.

I still haven't got it to take, normally takes around five attempts, but the bikes behaving differently this time.

When i fire the firmware update, it does it's checks (through the app) and then starts downloading. The lights all go out (like last time) and it seems to drop into an "Update" mode. But this time there's no long list of errors codes, nothing turns off and on again, it doesn't randomly make clicking noises. It just sits and does it's thing for 30 minutes, when the progress bars on the app both reach full, it changes to "Waiting for motorcycle" but then the bike appears to timeout and and the whole thing shuts down. Originally i assumed it was going to reboot, but after five minutes the bike was still "off" even with the key in the on position, but with no lights, display of any controls working.

I power cycled it myself, still on Version 16, but the bike never recorded any error codes and the whole thing just sprung back to life as if nothing had happend. No codes to clear, no random messages on the display. Is this progress of sorts?  ;)

One final observation, i wonder if this process needs to be completed within a certain time frame for it to work? The firmware update seems to take a while over the cellular here (Kent, UK), but the bike shuts down after thirty minutes of being on regardless of it's progress. I wonder if that's why this process is always flaky. I wonder if the bike tries to "shut down" due to inactivity even though the process is still ongoing and that's what borks the update process.

I just tried the update using bluetooth and the app (iPhone).  Same issue.  Got to 100% on both battery management and control system, the bike sat for a while (I noticed the SOC dropped to zero, after a bit longer the battery warning light came on, then the bike shut off (probably 3-4 minutes after hitting 100% on the downloads).  I waited quite a while and it did not come back on.  I keyed it off then on and like you, still on version 16.

I can't believe a company with so many electrical engineers and software people can't get the firmware update to work twice in a row (for me anyway).  Do they test internally at all?  Great bike, but the firmware thing really pisses me off.

And now I get this (second attempt after keying off for about 10 minutes).  Looks like the bike is now in a bad state (at least for firmware updates).

Steve
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 05:45:53 PM by stevenh »
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 07:45:36 PM »

Looks like my 12v battery is not healthy enough to hold up during the update.  Got several 12v faults, and now my check engine light is on.  Bummer.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 04:08:30 AM »

This update (17) is definitely different
I just tried it and it completed without errors.
Went on the app and confirmed both are now at 17.

This is only the second time a firmware upgrade works on the first attempt: Last one was particularly difficult to get done and I had to try no less than 25 times until it finally took it.

So, they fixed it for some and broke it for others.
They will get it right one of these days!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:13:22 AM by NetPro »
2020 Zero SR/F

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 10:51:41 AM »

The update is a matter of networking, which varies wildly across the world.  It's not an easy problem, even Google sometimes fails.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 03:27:15 PM »

Mine took about 20 minutes but in the end nothing changed. The only change is that now if I go to the app it shows I can upgrade to 17 and I'm still stuck at 16/14 combination. So this is probably gonna last until I get to the dealer.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

didierm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 03:55:10 PM »

Looks like my 12v battery is not healthy enough to hold up during the update.  Got several 12v faults, and now my check engine light is on.  Bummer.

The MBB should keep track of the 12v battery charge level.

enaef

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 04:15:21 PM »

Yesterday I also had a 12v fault with the battery light on. After a key cycle the battery light disappeared but I also had the 'check engine' light. The 'check engine' light disappeared after I charged the battery.

As I seem to have a cell module issue anyway (https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9521.0) I'm no longer trying to update to 17 but will have to visit the dealer ...
2019 Zero SR/F Premium & Rapid Charger

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 05:27:07 PM »

The update is a matter of networking, which varies wildly across the world.  It's not an easy problem, even Google sometimes fails.

-Crissa

Crissa,

I assume the download works since both bars get to 100%, at that point it's just blue tooth to the bike.  I've written firmware for complex distributed systems, and it's really not that hard to catch the errors, retry where needed and at least report the error with something other than a system shutdown.  In my case it's the 12v battery, it looks to me like they carry the bike on the 12v battery during part of the upgrade (I can hear the contactor disconnect shortly before the bike shuts down (but before the battery light comes on)) and it just can't hold up.  To be fair, the 12v under voltage is getting reported at this point, so that part is working, and my bike is not bricked (also a plus!).

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 05:31:39 PM »

Yesterday I also had a 12v fault with the battery light on. After a key cycle the battery light disappeared but I also had the 'check engine' light. The 'check engine' light disappeared after I charged the battery.

As I seem to have a cell module issue anyway (https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9521.0) I'm no longer trying to update to 17 but will have to visit the dealer ...

Anaef,

Did you somehow charge the 12v battery, or just the bike?  Curious if I could delay a trip to the dealer by manually topping off the 12v battery.  I have a few different LiPo chargers around.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 12:55:57 AM »

and it's really not that hard to catch the errors,
Since I have also done this, and then taken that hardware into rough service, I know this statement is not true.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 04:25:02 AM »

and it's really not that hard to catch the errors,
Since I have also done this, and then taken that hardware into rough service, I know this statement is not true.

-Crissa

I don't consider sitting in my garage on a very solid blue tooth connection with 4 bars of wifi "rough service", but to each their own :)

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

Tom_Ruyter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 09:23:55 PM »

I'm now getting the same as stevenh, I've got no errors and the bike works and all, but every time I leave it alone and try again, it immediately aborts with a “cannot update firmware”. The bike says it’s connected to cellular but gives me no indication of the strength of the signal, so I don’t know if it’s just a crappy download connection, or Zero have decided to pull the file during the current lockdown so as to stop people from doing this during a time they / dealers can’t fix things If they go wrong.

enaef

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 10:53:55 PM »

@ Stevenh:

> Did you somehow charge the 12v battery, or just the bike?

I just charged the bike.

Sorry for the late answer ...
2019 Zero SR/F Premium & Rapid Charger

Tom_Ruyter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 03:12:40 AM »

So i finally got this to take on the fourth attempt.

Mine, like steveh, had got itself into a state where it failed immediately even after been keyed off over night. So here’s what happened when I tried today.

I got the same message, lights off, display on but this time, I decided I was going to download the logs rather than key it off, so i could see if there was anything in there that might shed light on it. So with the bike still in firmware mode I started downloading the logs for the bike. Half way through there was a click and all the lights turned back on and the bike started responding as if it’d been switched on and off.

When I started the firmware download again (not restarting it, just kicked it off) it downloaded and installed perfectly. No error codes, no CEL (like the second time) just downloaded, installed and then rebooted onto version 17. Still clear of error codes and it works perfectly.

If it had just done that in the first place :)
Pages: [1] 2