• March 29, 2024, 02:48:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Update Changing to non OEM handlebars (‘15 FX)  (Read 1270 times)

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
Update Changing to non OEM handlebars (‘15 FX)
« on: March 31, 2020, 11:38:06 PM »

So you want to change your handlebars for whatever reason and found a style that you like. I went with Tag Metals McGrath bend which is very close to stock. The Zeros ‘15 and up use a 1 1/8” (center) bar which has 3 holes to index the switches and throttle. You could grind the pins off but it’s not too hard to drill the new bars to accept the pins. Here’s what I did.

Remove the bars. The most difficult thing is that the throttle is held on by 2 T25 tamper resistant torx screws. This is just a torx with a pin in the center. Available these days but not common. Also the throttle has a return spring that is a little tricky to reinstall. Try to loosen the screws just enough to let the pin clear the bar and slide off. If it does come apart I believe there’s instructions on here about reassembling it. This is more about the hole locations with aftermarket bars. These were the measurements from my bike, double check as yours may differ or I could have made a mistake.

You will need to drill 3 holes.

1 on the left for the switchgear 3/16”, 6.5” from the end of the bar.

1 on the right inner for the throttle 3/16”, 7 3/16” from the bar end.

1 more on the right outer for the switches 5/32”, 6” from the bar end.

To determine the angle of the holes, set the bars next to each other and look at the angle of each hole. I was able to use the reflection of the overhead lights to see where to mark the holes. Center punch and drill. Put the bars back on. I will get into more detail about this in my next installment where I will be adding some additional goodies. Lever guards, master cylinder, grips, etc. Hope this was helpful.

Say10

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 05:16:00 AM by Say10 15FX 16FXS »

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
Re: Changing to non OEM handlebars (‘15 FX)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 04:28:30 AM »

Yes indeed, very helpful and nicely written.  Looking forward to the next installment.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 01:27:54 AM »

I'd like permission to include this material (text+photos) on zeromanual.com. I'll link to it in any case. Thanks!

Refs:
- https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Handlebar
- https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Aftermarket#Handlebars
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 05:10:06 AM »

Of course but wait for the update. I have more to add as there were some things I found out. Coming soon!

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 08:33:01 AM »

Okay; I've updated the Handlebar component article and created the following incomplete guide for now:
- https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Change_Handlebars
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 05:13:17 AM »

Update: After installing the new bars I discovered a few things. The relationship of the holes for the throttle housing and the switch gear on the right is crucial. Also my measurements and eyeballing of the location of the holes was a little off. Here’s a better way to do it.

Mount the bars in the clamps where you prefer. It’s best to slide the throttle tube onto the bars before you clamp them down, otherwise the wires are not long enough!

Starting with the throttle, position it where you want and use a pencil or scribe to mark around the pin. Center punch and drill the appropriate size hole. Install the throttle tube but don’t tighten all the way. Set the switch gear next to the throttle and determine where you want it and mark the post. Drill the appropriate size hole. Loosen the throttle tube and slide just out of the way. Install the switch gear. Slide the throttle tube into place and tighten. Install the master cylinder, mirror, etc.

Moving onto the left side, install the grip. Set the switch gear on the bars and mark the post. Drill the appropriate size hole. Install switch gear and mirror.

That’s about it.

Here’s the pics.

Pro Taper Contour bars
Renthal soft compound grips
Suzuki DRZ400SM master cylinder (need to crimp larger female terminals for brake light switch)
Zeta folding lever
Works Connection rotating clamp
Goodridge M10x1.0 banjo bolt and crush washers
Outex lever guards

Michael

• View Profile
Aftermarket Handlebars 2021 FX
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 12:06:47 AM »

Due to a minor off road accident the weekend before last, my stock handlebars bent (left side).  Say10's info in this thread was extremely helpful.  However, he didn't mention which aftermarket bars he used (Pro Taper Contour bars have several different bends to choose from).  I'm not sure how important it is to match the bend of the aftermarket bars to the stock bars.  So I removed my stock bars and measured it as best I could and came up with the following:  (All measurements in mm)

Handlebar Model -   A: Width     B: Height    C: Rise     D: Clamp area     E: Sweep      F: Clamp area   

2021 Zero FX     A: 785     B: 118      C: 73     D: 105    E: 62     F: 208 Min-229Max

After looking at handlebar specs, I went with the Pro Taper Contour - Pastrana FMX Bend, which seemed to match the closest to the stock bars.
Here is their listed measurements for the Pastrana FMX Bend:

Pastrana FMX  LISTED MEASUREMENTS     A: 800      B: 121      C: 70     D: 236    E: 55     F: 190
Pastrana FMX  MY MEASUREMENTS           A: 800      B: 123      C: 65      D: ??     E: 64     F: 216

It's not really easy to get exact measurements on a tapered diameter tube with a few sweeping bends in it.  I tried to follow the following guidelines:
Width: the width of the handlebar is the measurement from left to right in a straight line. The width will usually be around 800 mm, but this can vary either way by up to 40 mm. If you would prefer a narrower bar than is currently available, for things like trail riding between trees, and squeezing through narrow paths, it is possible to trim the ends down.

Height: the height is measured from the centre of the bar at the clamping area, to the centre of the bar at its highest point.

Rise: handlebar rise is the measurement from the centre of the bar at the clamping area, to the centre of the bar at the first bend.

Sweep: looking down on the bar from above, sweep is the measurement from the centre of the bar at the clamping area, to the centre of the bar at its furthest point back toward the rider.

I had no problem installing these bars following the tips from Say10 in his last post. 

Now I need to find some hand guards that fit.  Any specific suggestions??

« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 12:09:48 AM by Michael »
2021 FX 7.2 since March 9, 2021
Solar Powered Car - Coming Soon
Pages: [1]