• April 28, 2024, 05:09:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: FXS Wheels on your FX - Was it worth it, cost/time??  (Read 389 times)

Michael

• View Profile
FXS Wheels on your FX - Was it worth it, cost/time??
« on: June 02, 2021, 03:11:11 AM »

I'm looking for responses from those that have experience with this modification, putting FXS wheels on their FX. 

I currently have a '21 FX 7.2 and would like to ride it more often off road with the motocross tires I bought for it, but I also commute with it every day.  Changing tires has been time consuming.  A second set of wheels/tires would speed the transition up quite a bit. 

For those that have done this, what solution did you use to relocate the front caliper to fit the larger FXS rotor. 

I've seen the other thread  https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9214.msg97768#msg97768 detailing the parts needed, but haven't read about too many people actually doing it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 11:09:15 PM by Michael »
2021 FX 7.2 since March 9, 2021
Solar Powered Car - Coming Soon

Accelerashawn

• View Profile
Re: FXS Wheels on your FX - Was it worth it, cost/time??
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 08:59:58 PM »

I haven't done this...but I have thought about this...
My thought was to use a more road ready dual-sport tire on one set of FX wheels then full knobs on the other set of FX wheels.  Seems like it'd be much simpler.

Michael

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 11:05:29 PM »

My thought was to use a more road ready dual-sport tire on one set of FX wheels then full knobs on the other set of FX wheels.  Seems like it'd be much simpler.

Yes, that is definitely an option I am considering. 

FXS Conversion
    Pros: -More common size wheels to fit a multitude of street tires. (True road tires, no more compromising dual sport tires)
             -Lower profile (less wind drag, slightly better range/economy)
             -Lower seat height - Lower center of gravity - better for the wife to drive.
             -Larger better performance front brake rotor

Cons  -No more ABS
             -Speedometer reading incorrect
             -Need to fabricate bracket to relocated front caliper.
             -Would need to swap kickstands (shorter/taller) each time as well?

COST:  After buying wheels/sprocket/rotors for both options, the only differences is buying/figuring out a bracket to relocated the front brake caliper and buying and swapping the kickstand everytime as well.

My wife just got her MC license and LOVES riding my FX around town.  It's not an ideal seat height for her much shorter 5'-05" stature, but she's been riding it so much now she says she's fine with it.  I've seen shorter people riding bigger bikes for sure. 

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 11:08:07 PM »

Shouldn't a Dealer be able to set the tire settings correctly in the computer?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Michael

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 11:12:38 PM »

Shouldn't a Dealer be able to set the tire settings correctly in the computer?

-Crissa

I believe they could, but that's not feasible to do every time I would swap back and forth for weekend trail rides and weekday commuting, so I would likely try to have the  speedo calibrated for the commute setup (FXS wheels) and not worry about speed so much on trails.   This still doesn't fix the loss of ABS - the dealer can't fix that.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 11:49:20 PM »

I suppose you don't care about abs on the trail.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

NoMoreIdeas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 12:27:24 AM »

That was me who made that post - I'm at around 9000 miles on the conversion and I have swapped back to the FX rims much less than I thought I would. The speedometer is off but not enough it really bothers me, its probably on par with some oem speedos out there. I never had a bike with ABS so I prefer to not have it, the bike has tons of grip. I'm glad I did it.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 01:38:50 AM »

The speedo reading comes from the rear wheel (using the motor RPM) and not the front wheel like most gas bikes so the difference in diameter isn't as great, the reading shouldn't be off by more than 0.2mph.

Michael

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 03:25:50 AM »

That was me who made that post - I'm at around 9000 miles on the conversion and I have swapped back to the FX rims much less than I thought I would. The speedometer is off but not enough it really bothers me, its probably on par with some oem speedos out there. I never had a bike with ABS so I prefer to not have it, the bike has tons of grip. I'm glad I did it.

That's awesome! Thanks for the reply and the original post!  Would you post or send a close up picture of the front brake caliper bracket your using?  Measurements would be super helpful too.
Pages: [1]