• April 27, 2024, 03:47:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Max Power with battery < 60%  (Read 485 times)

KuRi

• View Profile
Max Power with battery < 60%
« on: April 03, 2020, 08:44:37 PM »

Hi!

Today I noticed that my DSR 2020 was not giving me full power and torque beyond 120kmh-130kmh (I know this is max allowed speed, let's not open that pandora's box xD). When accelerating from a stop I had no problem. I noticed something similar once with battery < 40% but I was not expecting this with battery around 60%.

Is this the normal behaviour? Do you have any docs where this is explained?

Thanks!
Take Care!
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: Max Power with battery < 60%
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 11:02:11 PM »

Power/torque can be limited for many reasons, usually either the battery voltage is low or something is at a high temperature (battery/motor/controller). The logs should give you an indication if it is being limited and for which reason. Download them from the bike using the app, locate them on your phone or email them to yourself through the app, then upload them to the parser: https://zero-motorcycle-community.github.io/browser-parse/zero-log-parser.html

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 11:11:48 PM »

Hi, let me attach my logs here... I have suffered from torque limitation from temperature before, but this was not the case.
Can you please take a look and tell me if you see something alerting me so? Thanks!!!

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 11:36:00 PM »

Would you mind uploading the logs themselves so I and others can parse it ourselves? The formatting on that text file is messed up making it really hard to read and I can't remember the terms I should be searching for.

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 11:43:27 PM »

Of Course! Sorry I did not know that :)

Here it is the original bin file.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 12:15:05 AM »

I did find a couple instances of the motor temperature getting above 100°C (starting from 2754km on the odometer) which I think is the point that current gets limited, however there's no indication that it's doing so or even lighting the temperature warning light on the dash. I could be wrong on the temperature though (and it could vary by model), I've only had it happen once with me and I think my motor got up to something like 120°C in the end. Also this happened when your SoC was below 60% so not the situation you were concerned with.

Other than that the only errors I could find are one from a while ago from the battery modules not connecting and a couple of ABS errors which could be caused by burnouts (or accidental spin ups) or wheelies. The module connection errors I'd expect to see on an FX/S and the logs also say you have a 720W charger as well as a 1200W, if you didn't tell us you had a DSR I would've guessed you had an FX/S with an additional external charger.

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 12:43:58 AM »

Thank you very much for your info and help, very much appreciated.

I also noticed the temp above 100ºC but I saw this temperature other times with no effect on performance. Once time I got the temp light warning on and it was above 120ºC.

I always charge the bike at the same point so I don't really understand the 720W vs 1200W...

I am charging the bike to 100% now and will let you know if it gives 100% power of not while riding above 120kmh, otherwise... something if failing prematurely :(

I am pretty sure I have ridden a lot of times at 60% above 120km/h with no lose of power.

P.D: Yes, some days ago it was not raining but the floor was wet and I got a funny and very scary non intended drift :D

P.D2: I am guessing thay maybe the engine is limited once you get below 100.0V, and this was the case with <65% of SoC. This is the first time I see so low voltage when <65%.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 12:55:53 AM by KuRi »

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 03:23:47 PM »

Back to 100% and I got 100% of power... So the only issue here could be the battery (in case there is any). I think it got somehow confused about SoC and Voltage...

Thanks all for your help!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 11:04:57 PM by KuRi »

talon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 10:50:56 PM »

Can you include the BMS log? It is likely motor temperature too high as mentioned, but it can also be current-limiting due to low voltage or bad balance, battery temperature too high or low, or controller temperature too high.

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 11:25:30 PM »

Sure! Here it is. As I mentioned in my previous post, when the problem appeared the logs said 65% Soc => 96V and now that I am at 66% (after one full charge) it says 106V!

That should be the problem. What I really don't know is how it go so low voltage with so high SoC. It makes me think the Soc is not reliable and I could have emptied the battery before arriving home at 25%!

Thanks!!!

talon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 12:27:34 AM »

It's certainly possible that the SoC is glitched for you, but when you are looking at a specific entry in a log remember you may have been riding at that time. Under heavy load in the cold a 100% SoC 116V battery could have a much lower instantaneous voltage. Please try to use event numbers when discussing.

If your power cutback event happened on April 3rd (around 10:00 California time, unless the region has been changed since), I see you were around 60% SoC (BMS log entry 0716-07180) and there were lots of cutbacks in the BMS log. While I'm no expert at reading logs, it looks like temperatures of the battery were reasonable. At one point under heavy load it appears a single cell was 300mV out of balance, and had to be approaching cutoff at 3.36V/cell. This is likely why the cutoff was more severe and noticeable?

100C motor temp is VERY hot. My 2016 SR begins limiting me at around 80C so I would look at that as the main culprit here. My warning lights definitely will be on if my IPM motor is at 100C which coincides perfectly with all this. I don't believe there is a problem from what I'm seeing, just a hot motor being maxed out at close to 6000rpm. Your battery had just warmed up a bit so perhaps a few cells were still cool to add to the limitation (I don't know where all the temp sensors are within the pack).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 12:37:10 AM by talon »

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 01:10:51 AM »

Many thanks for your analysis and help talon!

On my DSR 2020 the temp light is only on above 120ºC, and it is VERY easy to reach 100ºC for the motor. Just ride at 140km/h for a couple of minutes (plain road or uphill) and there you are :D

That was one of my first complains with this excelent bike, that you cannot keep high speeds for too long ;)

I also noticed a low balance value when charging the bike (8-10mv), but after the full charge it is now at 2-3mv and I was riding at 66% SoC today with no power lose. So finger crossed!

Cheers!!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 01:21:38 AM by KuRi »

talon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 10:13:44 AM »

8-10mV imbalance is still very good. IIRC 100mV and up at low SoC is bad, or the imbalance going up very high under load (you can only see this after the fact through logs or with dealer tools). Your battery seems healthy, just the motor getting hot whether the temp light shows it or not.

I rode my SR on the highway at 80mph for 10 minutes and my temp was only around 140F (60C) at 70F (21C) ambient. Rapid acceleration heats it much faster, and I have noticed if I block the sides with my jeans the motor seems to stay a little hotter but this may be something else.

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 01:04:15 PM »

You're right talon, everything looks also good to me. Thanks.

My dsr is only 3 months old so I am still enjoying lot of rapid accelerations all the time and this gets the motor very hot very fast... I think I need to start riding slower but it is a pleasure to ride at 150 km/h with no vibrations not motor noises xD

Specially after I decided to adjust the belt by myself (hard times lol) and now it rides very smooth.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 01:16:33 PM by KuRi »
Pages: [1]