• April 26, 2024, 12:55:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SR/F charging question  (Read 645 times)

Tony_

• View Profile
SR/F charging question
« on: April 04, 2020, 03:10:24 AM »

I just got my SR/F, and charged it first time today. Have a couple of noob questions, I hope you dont mind. :)

First off, I live in Norway, and my supplier included a type 2 (female) to schuko, it looks like this:

https://e-motorstore.com/2057-large_default/adapter-typ-2-auf-typ-fschuko-eu-fuer-zero-srf.jpg

Being used to the simple PC-style cable from my previuos DSR, I found it to be very bulky. It can barely fit into the storage box, and if I cram it in there, nothing else can be stored. I cant charge at home, and would prefer not to use a backpack just to carry this thing around. Is there a more storage friendly option anyone can recommend, for example without that bulky thing in the middle of the wire? My DSR charged just fine without all those extra buttons, seems a bit overkill anyway? :)

Second question is, I noticed the motorbike stopped charging when it reached its target of 96%. But when I got to it to drive it home from the public charging spot, it was already down to 94%. It seems bit silly I have to drive off a freshly charged bike with only 94% left? I tried to look in the menus and in the mobile app, but didnt find a way to make it charge all the way. Any ideas?

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: SR/F charging question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 04:41:47 AM »

I'm guessing the thing in the middle of the cable is a circuit breaker (a resetable fuse) and you could exclude it if you really wanted. How are you using that to charge in public, are there public mains outlets in Norway? I would've thought the charging stations would have a Mennekes socket so you'd need a Mennekes to Mennekes cable, or if you can find a station with a hard wired cable you wouldn't need any additional cables at all.

I got my Mennekes to Schuko socket adapter from these guys, they could probably make you up a custom shorter cable: https://www.laadkabelfabriek.nl/

Tony_

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 07:15:42 AM »

I'm guessing the thing in the middle of the cable is a circuit breaker (a resetable fuse) and you could exclude it if you really wanted. How are you using that to charge in public, are there public mains outlets in Norway? I would've thought the charging stations would have a Mennekes socket so you'd need a Mennekes to Mennekes cable, or if you can find a station with a hard wired cable you wouldn't need any additional cables at all.

I got my Mennekes to Schuko socket adapter from these guys, they could probably make you up a custom shorter cable: https://www.laadkabelfabriek.nl/

Thank you for your reply Sir. :) We do have public EV charging stations around, they have schuko plugs but often also various other plugs I havent used before. I better investigate what other types are common. Could be a good alternative to schuko, although it would make it a bit harder to find a compatible charging station. It looks like the type 2 Mennekes to Mennekes is a bit less bulky than what I have now, so could be a good candidate.

I am not sure what the thing in the middle is, it has two buttons, test and reset. Seems it will be able to change the amount of ampere that is sent through, and serves as some kind of circuit breaker as you said, to avoid getting shocked. So, if I understand you correctly, you do have a Mennekes to Schuko cable that you use to charge your SR/F, without that thing in the middle, and it is working fine?

Another problem with the current charging cable is it is super hard, and will not bend to fit the storage box easily. So just getting the same one with a softer cable could help.

Thank you for that link, custommaking it might be the best alternative. :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 07:20:03 AM by sinsro »

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 07:34:20 AM »

Thank you for your reply Sir. :) We do have public EV charging stations around, they have schuko plugs but often also various other plugs I havent used before. I better investigate what other types are common. Could be a good alternative to schuko, although it would make it a bit harder to find a compatible charging station.
Check out the Plugshare app and website to see what charging stations are near you and what type of connections they have available.

It looks like the type 2 Mennekes to Mennekes is a bit less bulky than what I have now, so could be a good candidate.
The connectors will be more bulky, but ditching the breaker and shortening the cable could make up for that. The cable you currently have is going to be quite long as it's meant to reach from someone's plug socket to their bike at home, where as charging in public you can get right up next to the station.

I am not sure what the thing in the middle is, it has two buttons, test and reset. Seems it will be able to change the amount of ampere that is sent through, and serves as some kind of circuit breaker as you said, to avoid getting shocked.
Yeah that's a breaker then, no control over the amps though as that will be controlled by the bike.

So, if I understand you correctly, you do have a Mennekes to Schuko cable that you use to charge your SR/F, without that thing in the middle, and it is working fine?
I have DS and the adapter is for charging at public stations. It converts the Mennekes socket to a regular mains socket (I swapped out the Schuko for a UK socket) and then I plug the regular charging cable into that.

MrBlc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 11:08:35 AM »

Unless i'm mistaken, there's a difference between the chargers on the SR/F and the DSR..
The DSR is open to anything while the SR/F conforms to the EVSE charging protocol.
If this is the case, you're about to spend money converting a cable that has that EVSE protocol handler built in (that's the box with the 2 buttons) to a cable that doesn't. As such, it might not work for your bike.
I would test that it is able to perform charge without the pilot signal before buying new cables..

PS.. I'm also in .no. Have long experience with various EV's, currently got a DSR in the garage and have built several EVSE charging solutions.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 07:40:16 PM »

Not all of the EVSE cables have extra buttons?  At least, lots (most?) of them don't.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 12:31:05 AM »

I just got my SR/F, and charged it first time today. Have a couple of noob questions, I hope you dont mind. :)

First off, I live in Norway, and my supplier included a type 2 (female) to schuko, it looks like this:

https://e-motorstore.com/2057-large_default/adapter-typ-2-auf-typ-fschuko-eu-fuer-zero-srf.jpg

Being used to the simple PC-style cable from my previuos DSR, I found it to be very bulky. It can barely fit into the storage box, and if I cram it in there, nothing else can be stored. I cant charge at home, and would prefer not to use a backpack just to carry this thing around. Is there a more storage friendly option anyone can recommend, for example without that bulky thing in the middle of the wire? My DSR charged just fine without all those extra buttons, seems a bit overkill anyway? :)

The device in the middle with Test/Reset most likely is a GFCI https://www.google.com/search?q=gfci&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Electrical (functionality) you don’t need one but for safety & code compliance you might. 
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

MrBlc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 11:16:48 AM »

@ESokoloff No.. That is a EVSE signal device controller. It talks to the EVSE part of the chargers in the bike, telling them over the CP pin what amperage is available in the cable, as well as containing a relay that open/shuts power to the bike.
This is a cable to conform to the rules laid down when it comes to charging an electric vehicle in EU..
The Test/Reset switches are there to test for ground fault when plugged in at the Schuko end and to reset it in case the software inside the box hangs for some reason. This is very similiar to the cables sent out with electric cars. (most of which have the exact same setup on the box)
Specification is also known as Mode 2 charging.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 06:27:09 PM »

@ESokoloff No.. That is a EVSE signal device controller.
The Test/Reset switches are there to test for ground fault ............

Is Not the Test/Reset buttons integrated into the GFCI?

EDIT:
Ok, it’s more then a GFCI then.
I could not see the addition controller components in the image that the OP provided the link too.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 06:55:46 PM by ESokoloff »
Eric
2016 Zero DSR
Pages: [1]