• April 28, 2024, 02:08:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Self-discharge rate of 2014S over 4 weeks  (Read 303 times)

dvdt

• View Profile
Self-discharge rate of 2014S over 4 weeks
« on: April 12, 2020, 01:41:47 AM »

As an unanticipated experiment, I happened to fully charge (at 120V) my 2014S on March 14, long enough for cell balancing to complete. As those living in the Bay Area know well, 3/14 was just prior to the shelter in place orders. As a result, my 2014S has also been sheltering in place (garaged) at moderate temperature.

After 4 weeks, I thought I would check the self-discharge during that interval. After keying on briefly, I read the dash at 98%. This rate may not apply to other cases insofar as the batteries have had (until the most recent month) a substantial usage, with nearly 43 thousand miles on the odometer. As noted above, the temperatures have been typically (of a Bay Area spring) mild, and, while the garage is uncontrolled, the temperature swings are modest as personally sampled on the occasions I've had to rummage in the garage's storage.

Fingers crossed I won't have an opportunity to check the self-discharge rate for 8 weeks of shelter in place storage.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: Self-discharge rate of 2014S over 4 weeks
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 02:23:12 AM »

I often get that level of discharge leaving it for a couple days.  Or a few minutes if it was 50F or lower out.

I suppose it's one of those curves that drops down faster at first but then a slower and slower rate of change.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1]