• April 25, 2024, 12:47:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SR/F Rear Brake Pedal  (Read 772 times)

enaef

• View Profile
SR/F Rear Brake Pedal
« on: April 05, 2020, 04:56:24 AM »

I wonder if others also have problems with the rear brake pedal.

I have a duck's gait; my feet are rotated outwards.

The pedal seems very small and I have a hard time to reach it.

You all know - I'm a newbie rider.

Can this pedal be changed?
2019 Zero SR/F Premium & Rapid Charger

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: SR/F Rear Brake Pedal
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 05:05:57 AM »

I don't know if anyone makes an extension plate for it, probably not, but you might be able to adapt one meant for a different bike. If it's a two piece pedal where the platform bolts to the lever you might be able to space it out somehow instead, or find a wider platform that will fit.

Actually, I just found the lever on AF1 (I'll leave the above paragraph in for anyone having the same problem with an S/DS which does have a two piece lever) and it's a single piece lever, and it has a solid platform so I don't think any extensions for other bikes will fit right on. However, with it being a solid chunk that gives you the option of drilling and threading some holes into it to bolt a larger platform to the top of it. Something like this for example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Brake-Lever-Pedal-Extension-Enlarge-pad-For-BMW-R1200GS-2013-2017-Titani-B/312589569499?epid=6022453464&hash=item48c7ca4ddb:g:y2YAAOSwE5lcxs8R

SkyYeti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 01:55:15 PM »

Hi Enaef, you are not alone on this.
There have been a few people reporting that the brake pedal is just a bit difficult for them to hit.
I don't have 'duck gait' but have noticed that the rear brake isn't that comfortable, it's okay, but it could be easier.
I've had loads of bikes over the years and the SR/F rear brake is probably one of the more awkward ones I've used.
Like TheRan has mentioned, an extension plate could be your answer. If you do decide to try one please update us as I'm sure a few people would be interested.
Cheers,
Oli
2022 Zero SR/F Premium

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 05:53:30 PM »

I have the same issue with the DS, hence why I've been looking at extensions. It's not an issue with my feet being duck footed but rather having to point my toes inwards (so not just straight forward) to hit the brake pedal. I think it's a combination of a narrow pedal, the pedal being too far inward, and I think the frame above the foot pegs is too chunky so my feet are towards the outer edge of the pegs. It's not much of an issue when sitting down as my shins are angled outwards and away from the frame, but standing up they're pressed up against it so it's awkward when riding offroad.

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 06:19:35 PM »

Something similar with the DSR (same pedal as DS). In my case I just find it small and pointing down. I know it can be raised but I think that's not the solution. The less comfortable pedal I have used indeed, and with this bike I have to use the brakes too often xDDD
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 10:57:49 PM »

I have no issues reaching it but it's very unresponsive when I do. I know rear brakes don't have the same effect as front due to weight distribution. But even compared to my other bikes it's effect is very limited. Anyway I stopped using it. Instead I have lots of brake regen and then use that most of the time.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

enaef

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 12:24:39 AM »

Anyway I stopped using it. Instead I have lots of brake regen and then use that most of the time.

As a fresh learner I haven't used another mode than the ECO yet, therefore I'm also using full regen all the time. Until now I felt I wasn't in need of using the rear brake.

However, I will have my driver test at the SR/F where I will have to prove that I can handle also the rear brake  :-\.
2019 Zero SR/F Premium & Rapid Charger

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 02:25:43 AM »

Have you stopped using the rear brake???? at all??? What the h.... xD
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 02:41:34 AM »

No, this is an old problem.  Even on my S the brake has resistance and 'click' before actually triggering the tail light (and regen).  I think it's intentional so you can touch it with clumsy boots without accidentally braking.

It just doesn't make sense; if it's going to be a small pedal you don't cover with your foot, it could be more sensitive to starting regen, whereas if I'm supposed to be touching it then it could be less turned in.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 05:07:18 AM »

Although this doesn’t apply to the SR/F and SR/S, it will work for the other models mentioned in this post. I think in 2017 the brake pedal was changed to a 2 piece design. There was a street peg (S,SR) and an off road peg (FX,FXS,DS,DSR). These are attached with a bolt and could easily be extended with a longer bolt and a spacer or washers.

Brake pedal base part #25-0807103

Brake pedal off road #25-0807203

Street peg #25-08073

Bolt is a M6X20-8.8

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 08:37:34 AM »

There are two problems with spacing out the off road peg, firstly it has a nub sticking out of it that indexes into the arm and if you grind that off there's a chance the peg would turn and loosen up the bolt (what the nub is designed to prevent). Not an issue with the street peg though.

Working on the bike today I figured I'd see if the peg for the shifter on my old bike would work, turns out it's the same thread as the Zero peg. Unfortunately it's also exactly the same width so no better. Will have a look and see if I've got a longer bolt.
Pages: [1]