• April 26, 2024, 01:08:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SR/F, is 95% the new 100%?  (Read 1159 times)

Tony_

• View Profile
SR/F, is 95% the new 100%?
« on: April 09, 2020, 03:09:46 PM »

Whenever I charge my SR/F it turns off charging at 95%, and then typically drops to 93% by the time I use it. 7% lost battery capacity seems like a lot, is there a way to fix this, or would that be bad for the battery?

remmie

• View Profile
Re: SR/F, is 95% the new 100%?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 04:15:54 PM »

I suspect that the "charge target"  feature is activated on your bike. The highest you can set the charge target is 95%

In the menu "battery" you can turn this feature on and off, but only on the bike itself, not through the app. Through the app you can only change the target setting (for example to 90% or 80% depending on your preference)

http://media.zeromotorcycles.com/resources/owners-manuals/2020/2020-Zero-Owners-Manual-SRF.pdf

page 3.49 describes the charge target

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 04:17:34 PM by remmie »
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

Tom_Ruyter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 05:46:02 PM »

as per what remmie said, if you want to charge to 100% or need to balance cells etc, you'll need to disable the charge target. Then the bike will "target" as much charging as it can manage in the time you leave it plugged in for.

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 06:38:48 PM »

Another method to get to 100% when the charge target is in effect is to leave the bike keyed ON when initiating charging.
The bike will prompt you to override.  If you do, it will charge to 100%.

I do typically charge to a target of 80% and then override up to 100% on those few times when I know I want the extra range.

Tony_

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 08:35:24 AM »

I suspect that the "charge target"  feature is activated on your bike. The highest you can set the charge target is 95%

In the menu "battery" you can turn this feature on and off, but only on the bike itself, not through the app. Through the app you can only change the target setting (for example to 90% or 80% depending on your preference)

http://media.zeromotorcycles.com/resources/owners-manuals/2020/2020-Zero-Owners-Manual-SRF.pdf

page 3.49 describes the charge target

Oh, yes, charge target was enabled, either by default or by the vendor. I missed it as I assumed every setting would be available in the app but could not find any mention of this there, thank you. :)

I am curious to why the target is set to 95% though. Would it not make more sense to set it at 100% by default? The only reason for this limitation I can think of would be that the last 5% charges slower than the rest, and somehow would end up cost more?

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 08:51:05 AM »

Charge Target is for when you don't want 100%.  Say, you're doing a bunch of charging in a day, 0-80 charge at up to twice the speed of 80-100.  Or you're going to leave it sit for a few days or overnight and the balance is fine.

Charging to 100% takes longer and stresses the battery a little bit to leave it up there.

Technically, 100% is the default, if 'Charge Target' isn't on.  So you can flip between whatever the target is and 100% at any time by flipping 'Charge Target' on/off or turning the key.

I wish mine did that ^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 01:28:42 PM »

I am curious to why the target is set to 95% though. Would it not make more sense to set it at 100% by default?

It's probably to avoid disabling regen when fully charged. I'm guessing because I don't own an SR/F.

In my Chevy Bolt, if the battery is at 100%, regen is disabled to avoid overcharging the battery. That causes some disconcerting free coasting behavior for a few miles, instead of the "engine braking" feel. It's unexpected and possibly dangerous. Limiting the charge avoids that. Most often, people who live at the top of a hill set the charge limit to 90%.

Tony_

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 02:51:57 PM »

I am curious to why the target is set to 95% though. Would it not make more sense to set it at 100% by default?

It's probably to avoid disabling regen when fully charged. I'm guessing because I don't own an SR/F.

In my Chevy Bolt, if the battery is at 100%, regen is disabled to avoid overcharging the battery. That causes some disconcerting free coasting behavior for a few miles, instead of the "engine braking" feel. It's unexpected and possibly dangerous. Limiting the charge avoids that. Most often, people who live at the top of a hill set the charge limit to 90%.

That's a good point and makes sense. If you expect a braking behavior but get something else, it might lead to dangerous situations.

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 08:38:40 AM »

That's a good point and makes sense. If you expect a braking behavior but get something else, it might lead to dangerous situations.
Dangerous? Seriously? I have a Bolt too. Learned on the first day that regen wasn't avail at 100%, so I just use my brakes then.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 10:37:27 AM »

Well, any good driver should adapt to their braking not working as they expect, but...

...Lots of people aren't good drivers.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 06:49:18 AM »

Dangerous? Seriously? I have a Bolt too. Learned on the first day that regen wasn't avail at 100%, so I just use my brakes then.

It's a greater surprise for me and others who only charge every week or two, and who never use the brakes except maybe at stoplights, and who always use single-pedal driving mode (L), and who make frequent use of the regen hand paddle. You know, the paddle that gives you strong deceleration, except when it does nothing (at 100%).
Pages: [1]