• April 29, 2024, 12:55:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bar risers for the DS  (Read 310 times)

TheRan

• View Profile
Bar risers for the DS
« on: April 16, 2020, 02:11:48 AM »

To make the DS more comfortable to ride while standing I want to raise the bars up, with new bars being more expensive, more work to fit, and probably not giving me as much extra rise I've decided to go with some riser clamps instead. Wanting to get info from others who have done the same.

-How much rise do you have, how much can you get away with before hose and cable length becomes an issue?

I've found two particular types of risers, attached below. The first type would give me a range of heights to chose from (up to 40mm) and be the most solid. With the second type most of the ones I found are designed for 22mm clamps so would require shims, not something I want to use especially because if they do slip the bars are going to go out of alignment. I managed to find one set for 28.6mm bars but only with a 51mm rise (2") which might be more than the hoses allow (the unofficial manual seems to imply that 2 inches would be okay, but the video only shows someone fitting 1 3/4" risers), however having some fore and aft adjustment as well might be nice.

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: Bar risers for the DS
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 08:00:45 PM »

Ended up getting the first type to try, unfortunately I didn't manage to raise the bars at all as there's pretty much no slack in the brake hose. I forgot that because of the ABS it runs back to the centre of the bike and not straight down to the caliper. No idea how the guy in this video (linked in the unofficial manual) managed to get so much slack in his hose, I wouldn't have thought they'd change the length from 2017 to 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=UTjSncCgRt0&feature=emb_logo

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: Bar risers for the DS
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 10:20:08 PM »

An update. Removing the tank I got access to where the front hose was cable tied at the front of the frame (surprisingly the ABS pump is right behind the head tube, I expected it to be closer to the middle of the bike) and by cutting that I was able to pull through more hose. In the end I left out one spacer and raised the bars by about 30mm. The limiting factor ended up being the cables going to the throttle and right hand switchgear, they're coiled up behind the headlight and tied to all the other cables in a big messy bunch. I managed to pull through just enough slack and if I cut the ties and redid it I could've got enough for the full 40mm rise (the brake hose would have probably been long enough for that too) but I couldn't be bothered to mess with it. Only had a short test ride in front of my house but it seems like it might be enough rise, will give it a proper test tomorrow and take it off road on the way home from work.
Pages: [1]