• April 26, 2024, 12:01:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Serious problem with cruise control  (Read 931 times)

enaef

• View Profile
Serious problem with cruise control
« on: April 25, 2020, 02:39:21 AM »

I wonder, if anybody had the same experience yet - but hope not ...  ???

I used the cruise control quite early and a lot after starting riding the SR/F. Until about 1.5 weeks ago it worked without any problems: A short touch on the brake lever (without the disc brake itself becoming active) was enough to deactivate the 'target speed'.
About 1.5 weeks ago I had the impression that I had to use the brake lever harder until the target speed was deactivated.
Today I clearly had a problem which significantly affected driving safety: The cruise control did not react to taps on the brake lever. I pushed the lever more intensively: Still nothing. The roundabout was approaching and I really had to slow down now, so I applied the brake so hard that the disc brake showed a clear braking effect. But the target speed remained active, which I didn't notice at first as the disc brake was now braking. As soon as I released the brake lever, the SR/F accelerated back to the target speed. This was repeated (me applying the front brake more and more intensely), so I had about two or three 'jumps', until the cruise control finally gave up the target speed. I wonder what the car driver behind me was thinking what I was doing (as I have my L (learner sign) on my tail ...

As you can imagine, this was not a pleasant experience. ::)
2019 Zero SR/F Premium & Rapid Charger

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: Serious problem with cruise control
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 02:44:46 AM »

Is your taillight working?  This should be on the same switch.

Does the SR/F cruise control ignore the throttle?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

enaef

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 03:08:20 AM »

Is your taillight working?  This should be on the same switch.

You probably mean the tail brake-light?

Good point. I went out and tried - sometimes it does, then again it does not. It does not depend on how hard or fast I use the brake lever.

I can always hear (what I think is) the switch with a very fine sound when it should activate - which it does not always.

The rear brake switch for the light works reliably - what probably means that the deactivation of the cruise control also would be triggered by this. I will try that tomorrow in the morning.

SR/F cruise control ignores the 'backword going' throttle. The SR/F accelerates over the target-speed if you want, goes back to the target-speed if you release the throttle and gives up the target-speed if you use the brakes or if you use the cruise-control-button.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 03:17:26 AM »

Well, you have two switches, so remember to use the rear brake pedal as well.  I use the regen to be my 'I have touched the brakes enough' response.

Hopefully it's just a faulty switch or the screw that pushes it.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Crilly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 04:43:01 AM »

There is only 3 ways to deactivate the cruise.  Front brake, rear brake, and cruise switch.  The throttle does nothing.

Always practice disabling the cruise as well as turning off the power.

enaef

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 05:09:26 AM »

Always practice disabling the cruise as well as turning off the power.

What do you mean by 'turning off the power'? Do you mean turning off the key switch?
If you mean that: Why is it important?

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 05:27:41 AM »

same problem as in this thread (front brake light switch indeed)

https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9245.msg80920#msg80920
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 11:30:46 AM »

Good point, Crilly, you have four switches that will deactivate cruise control ^-^

Front brake, back brake, cruise switch, cut-off switch!

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

enaef

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 11:40:31 AM »

same problem as in this thread (front brake light switch indeed)

https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9245.msg80920#msg80920

Oohh ... I searched for the topic before I posted - but that was obviously not thoroughly enough ..  ;)

Thanks remmie!

enaef

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 11:52:27 AM »

Good point, Crilly, you have four switches that will deactivate cruise control ^-^

-Crissa

Ah - ok - Crilly means the 'Motor Stop Switch' as it is officially called in the manual ...
Thanks.

Indeed good to remember.

It might well be that I hit the back brake which deactivated the cuise control - as I 'panicked' a bit because of my urgent need to slow down.

After the posted incident had happened I retried the 'thing' in a secure part of the rode - same problem - there I tested the cruise control switch - which worked.

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 04:28:01 PM »

-Crissa

the key switch should work as well  8) , so there are 5 switches that disable cruise control but both motor stop switch and key switch leave you with no power after it disengages. The motor stop switch can be flicked on and off fairly quickly so power should return quickly.

I have off throttle regen and brake regen at 100% so using the front brake to disengage cruise control results in a very sudden deceleration. I mostly use the cruise control button to disengage the cruise control while having the throttle opened slightly to avoid that sudden deceleration.

so my preferred order in how to disengage cruise is :

1) cruise control switch (have not see this fail yet)
2) front brake (should work but can fail as we have seen in at least 3 cases)
3) rear brake (no record fo failing yet, this is a hydraulic switch not a mechanical position one)
4) motor stop switch (should work as wel but leaves you without power until you switch back to on and maybe a few seconds after that)
5) key switch (only use if all else fails, no power for at least a dozen seconds while the bike powers up again)
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 04:32:49 PM »

Good point about the key, as we've seen with a couple bikes whose key switch died.

My safety course called it the engine (which we only have a motor) cut-off switch.  Designed because if all else fails, you want a switch that turns off the bike without taking your hands off the grips!

It would have to be stuck 'on' physically for it not to work, tho.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 07:35:53 PM »

Even with all of Zero's past experience, does anyone else feel like the SR/F is a version 0.99beta product?
Zero FXS 2020

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 10:23:17 PM »

No?

The software glitches are no more than you'd find in a Ford or Chevy product in the last ten years.

And this was a mechanical switch issue most likely, which would affect some number of any bike.  This is why you're supposed to do a pre-ride check.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 03:21:11 AM »

I had my front brake switch fail on my SRF also very soon (around 1.500 km if I remember correctly) and replaced under warranty. I don't use cc that much so only noticed it because of the regen not kicking in, and once I started checking indeed also rear brake light not working or at least not always. Good news is that the replaced is still working fine. 
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---
Pages: [1] 2