• April 26, 2024, 11:24:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cheap 1000W external charger?  (Read 486 times)

Manzanita

• 2014 Zero S Woodland, California
    • View Profile
Cheap 1000W external charger?
« on: April 26, 2020, 12:10:09 AM »

Thoughts on this item: https://www.ebay.com/itm/193068353746

It seems if you buy the 220V configuration with 117VDC output, and fit the output with a Anderson SBS-75X connector, it would work with the Zero?

I have contacted the seller to see if they will pre-configure it with the Anderson connector.

It is only a 1000 watts, but I just need something to charge my bike overnight.

Thoughts?

Manzanita

• View Profile
Re: Cheap 1000W external charger?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 03:25:55 AM »

So I was informed I will need to have a "charge enable switch" if I am to charge externally from a "dumb" charger.

Is that this setup??? https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Advanced_Modifications#Charging_Off_Bike

Manzanita

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 04:00:01 AM »

This appears to be the mother of all external charger switch threads: https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=8225.15

However, the final verdict isn't clear. It usually works but occasionally destroys MBBs?

Unfortunately all these threads are from people who have spend time looking at these connectors and all appear to know what they are talking about without really explaining exactly what you need to do... is there a clear visual diagram somewhere?

Thanks,

-Alan

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 04:46:34 AM »

I don't have any experience with external chargers and I haven't done a huge amount of research into it, but as I understand it you only need the charge enable thing on the external charger if that's the only charger you're using and you want the bike to be turned off. The Delta Quiq charger has this. Without the charge enable signal the bike won't start charging unless you also connect the internal charger (might as well for even faster charging, unless it's broken and that's why you want the external one) or you turn the bike on using the key (I think it has to stay on to continue charging as well).

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 05:18:46 AM »

The enable does a couple things. The most important thing is making the bike realize it's charging. It's a bad idea to try and bypass this. When the bike realizes it's charging you will be able to key it off and walk away. More importantly it enables the BMS to do cell balancing which is extremely important.

Also having built external chargers for Zeros I must also discourage the DIY approach if you aren't sure what you're doing. It is extremely easy to do something wrong or use poor components which can result in a fire and burn your garage/house down in the middle of the night. Yes, the Delta Qs are expensive, bulky, and slow, but they work.

Manzanita

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 05:13:10 AM »

Thanks for the reply. So my onboard charger failed again (3rd time) and want to charge the bike without the onboard charger. As far as working with electronics, I was a manufacturing and design engineering technician for silicon valley tech companies for about fifteen years. Obviously I have no specific experience with this issue, thus my questions... I remember seeing a specific thread and diagram a while back but I can't find it now. It was a photo of a toggle switch connected directly to a connector, I think the onboard charger connector.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

NoMoreIdeas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 07:34:55 PM »

Thanks for the reply. So my onboard charger failed again (3rd time) and want to charge the bike without the onboard charger. As far as working with electronics, I was a manufacturing and design engineering technician for silicon valley tech companies for about fifteen years. Obviously I have no specific experience with this issue, thus my questions... I remember seeing a specific thread and diagram a while back but I can't find it now. It was a photo of a toggle switch connected directly to a connector, I think the onboard charger connector.

I imagine you're probably talking about this post: https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=8298.msg70643#msg70643

Manzanita

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 09:00:44 PM »

I imagine you're probably talking about this post: https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=8298.msg70643#msg70643

Yes! Thanks! Cringe-worthy to look at but gives me a concrete idea of where it is!  ;D
Pages: [1]