• April 29, 2024, 05:21:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Zero Sr/s Frustration mounting  (Read 2652 times)

daniels1216

• Zero Motorcycle SR/S premium
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Sr/s Frustration mounting
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2020, 11:31:34 AM »

The srs premium I paid for Does have the heated grips and supposed to have the charge tank. I see the two vents under the storage tank. Plus the service associate who signed the bike to me after having the charger replaced initially Told me the “two” chargerS cost the shop 3k *warranty issue addressed in OP* (charge would only commence randomly and sometimes id have to go around the block and retry plugging in again for the charge to start). I don’t think the dealer has access to a charging station which is why there may be ‘no charging issues’. The dealer claims to send logs to zero every time I’ve brought it in. I love the bike and I know the issues will be resolved but man it’s caused me a little bit of a heartbreak. I’m calling zero tomorrow because this is my only way of transportation and it’s killing me to sit at a charger for 3 hours to fully charge.
10 year daily motorcycle rider, lifelong B.M.X. rider, and lifelong academic advocating for smart transportation in California

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2020, 11:36:39 AM »

If you're in California, you can demand any diagnostic logs from your dealer.  They have to turn over replaced components and explain why they believe it runs the way it does, in writing.  Sometimes techs do the least possible... And that happens no matter the brand, unfortunately.

Good luck!  Hopefully it's something dumb like a broken or disconnected cable.  It wouldn't take much for it to only charge on one pin or something.  Or for your local charging stations to be acting weird, and it not being the bike.  How many 6KW stations have your tried?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2020, 05:01:31 PM »

Ok I have to say your OP made me think you needed warranty service not that you had already gotten it.  So the plot thickens.
Now the logs "could" show a charger fault but if the bike doesn't "know" it has 6kW access it may not send it to the logs.
EX: If you were to plug it into a wall socket it wouldn't show a failure for not having 6kW to charge with.

For now I'll assume your dealer is on the up and up but them saying it cost them $3k for a new charger isn't right.  The manufacturer covers warranty costs not the dealer.  Again long shot but heated grips are an option you can get with a standard bike.  I'd give Zero the VIN and make sure it's shown as a premium model to get that cleared up for good.

If you have the bike back you can take it to a charger and video what it does.  The dash time to recharge clock should be enough to show your charge rate.  If it's still low see if you can see if anyone else is having trouble at that station.  It "could" be the station.

daniels1216

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2020, 12:30:14 AM »

I’m in constant communication with zero techs and they say I need to prime the charger by connecting the turbo cord charger to a 220/v240v. How to I get from a regular male connection 110v to a 220/240v connection? The zero tech says I would need an additional adapter in addition to the turbocord and the provided adapter (nema 6-20p). If any one has a product for these adaptions Let let me know.
10 year daily motorcycle rider, lifelong B.M.X. rider, and lifelong academic advocating for smart transportation in California

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2020, 01:44:28 AM »

I'm not sure what you're asking.

You can't get 6KW through a normal 110 outlet, they're only rated for 1.5KW resistive or 15 to 20 amps only.

You need a special 220 outlet like a stove or dryer outlet.  Those are made with two 'hot' lines (it would have four tines instead of three) and rated for a higher amperage.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

daniels1216

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2020, 02:19:22 AM »

^ I know I won’t get the full charge 5.8kw but some zero chargers are known to not reach that until they are ‘primed’ by plugging into a  220v source. But I don’t know how to plug in the powercord which came with the bike into a dryer receptacle

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2020, 02:31:48 AM »

A charging station is 220V or higher.
If you were plugged into one that shows it as a 6-7kW charger on one of the Plug Share or other apps you had 220V or better.

I have no idea what "primed" is.

Did your SRF need to be primed?  I'll wager it worked just fine at the charging station.

For your house you would need something like this:

http://www.2daydeliver.com/product_detail.php?id=SKUB079NTNJ5C&category=Vehicles+%26+Parts+&sub_category=+Vehicle+Parts+%26+Accessories+%3E+Motor+Vehicle+Parts+%3E+Motor+Vehicle+Batteries+%3E+Hybrid+Batteries&last_node=Hybrid+Batteries

daniels1216

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2020, 03:42:25 AM »

The tech wants me charge the bike with the 220v turbocord then try plugging into the 6.6kw charge stations. He says using the turbocord on 220/240 will prime the bike to then accept the 5.8 at the charge stations.

daniels1216

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2020, 03:56:26 AM »

Ok the dealer has all the connections for me to charge with the powercord on a 220v source. I’m excited like a  young boy on Christmas to see if this fixes my problem.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2020, 04:04:18 AM »

Yeah and what I'm saying is if you plugged it into a charging station already then you have "exposed" the bike's charger to 220V. 
That's as "primed" as it can get.

To be clear your in the US correct?  And the cord that came with the bike is a male J1772 plug/gun on one end and a US 110V male plug on the other end?

I see you posted while I was writing.  Ok good luck.

daniels1216

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2020, 05:17:27 AM »

Yes I’m in the US.  The turbocord is a level 2 j1772 male yes.

daniels1216

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2020, 05:20:04 AM »

The plug end of the charge cord is a 110 3 prong but there is an adapter for a 120 v plug. The adapter had 1 of the prongs sideways.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2020, 08:14:14 AM »

A 110 plug with a tine turned sideways means it needs a 20a isolated circuit.  You'll need a qualified electrician (or similar) to make sure it's wired right if you don't have one.  That's like an outlet a furnace, water heater, or power tools are plugged into.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Bass Cadet

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2020, 09:38:28 AM »

A 110 plug with a tine turned sideways means it needs a 20a isolated circuit.

It's probably the other blade. The standard US AC outlet is NEMA 5-15 (15A). The 20A version with left 90° blade (ground at bottom) is NEMA 5-20. The version with both blades at 90° is NEMA 6-15. And the version with the right blade at 90° is NEMA 6-20. I have a TurboCord (BMW branded) with the 240V adapter and it is NEMA 6-20. It has two thermal fuses inside but otherwise passes the voltage through.

BC

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2020, 02:38:40 PM »

A NEMA 6-15 is for 220 and is really uncommon and I wouldn't expect any of Zero's stuff to use it.  I thought about using it for a break-away in my cable but decided not to make it that complex.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4