• April 29, 2024, 02:51:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero OEM rack extension plate  (Read 758 times)

Mr. Bill

• View Profile
Zero OEM rack extension plate
« on: April 24, 2020, 08:58:00 PM »

Hi Everyone.  I bought the Zero OEM rack (2019 FX), but I did not get the GIVI top case because it is too large for my needs.  However, the OEM rack is almost too small to be useful by itself.  The base is about 5” long by 8.5” in width.  I would like to add an extension plate. Any thoughts on where to get one?  Thanks in advance.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Zero OEM rack extension plate
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 10:23:22 PM »

The plate is small, but is meant to be a raw hardware base for a latching adapter plate for the actual luggage.

If you want a Givi case, the Givi universal plate is Givi E251 for Monokey:
http://giviusa.com/givi-products/mounting-hardware/top-case-mounting/e251-adapter-plate-universal-detail

For Monolock cases (what Zero sells): http://giviusa.com/givi-products/mounting-hardware/top-case-mounting/z113c-monolock-universal-fit-kit-detail

Givi has a number of other plates which probably fit but some might need spacers or other assistance:
http://giviusa.com/givi-products/mounting-hardware/top-case-mounting

There are other universal plates for other luggage systems, but the base hole pattern is Givi-arranged.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Mr. Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 11:55:39 PM »

Thank you very much.  Very helpful.

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 07:50:29 PM »

Subscribing..

So Givi's smallest Monolock cases is 29L.
http://giviusa.com/givi-products/cases/monolock-cases/b29n-29ltr-monolock-case-detail

I too am interested if anyone comes up with a smaller option for the FX/FXS rack.
Zero FXS 2020

Mr. Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 07:13:30 AM »

The 29L version gets some poor marks for a difficult latch system. The 30L topcase seems to be designed a little better for a little more money. I wanted something around 5 liters, but the rack is too small to accommodate soft luggage that is not really small. I am considering purchasing the GIVI z113c mounting plate just to give the rack more mounting surface area.  I wish PMC made a rack for the FX.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 07:50:41 AM »

There are plenty of motorcyclists who just take a Pelican case and mount it. Might you, you'll want something between that case and the metal plate so that the bolt mount doesn't crack and break the plastic. This is one reason for the design of these adapter plates - not just a latching mechanism, but to protect the case from the metal plate underneath.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

nnelson65

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 04:09:23 AM »

I cut a piece of plywood and bolted it onto the plate for my DS top case rack.  It adds just enough surface area to be able to strap some stuff onto it with a bungee net (I can remove the little back rest with 2 thumb screws).

« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 04:11:06 AM by nnelson65 »

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 06:20:07 AM »

It was very cute!  I want to do something similar on my S so I can carry pizza home ^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Mr. Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 09:25:48 PM »

I had a Sig Sauer pistol box bolted onto my rack for a while, but I've decided to change things up.  I've been looking at plastic construction boxes at the home improvement stores.  I haven't found anything I like yet.  Most boxes are too big for my needs.

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 09:39:42 PM »

A pistol case...wow that is small.

I decided to put my tank bag directly on the plate until I decide what to do when it grows up.  It has a magnetic base, so that plus the straps keeps it nice and secure.
Zero FXS 2020

Mr. Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 01:05:48 AM »

I used a magnetic tank bag on the rack of my Yamaha XT250, but I threw the tank bag in as part of the deal when I sold it. However, I did come up with another idea.  I have a DeWalt tool bag that provides between 10 and 15 liters of storage and has rigid plastic rails on the bottom of the bag.  I tried mounting that on the Zero rack, and it may suit my needs.  It stays nice and compact when not in use but gives a decent amount of storage if/when needed. 

tynxt

• View Profile
    • backroad.city
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 08:38:02 AM »

I’ve done about 600 miles with my old Pelican 1550 bolted directly to the OEM rack. Not an elegant mounting solution, definitely not easily-removable. But I <3 it and it’s a pretty large case that’s well-supported by the rack’s mounting surface area.

(https://flic.kr/p/2idGxen)
2019 FXS

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 03:01:03 PM »

tynxt, try the Givi E340 Vision Monolock Top Case ($130 with plate, shipped). So cheap, so good, waterproof, lasting years. It's small but fits a helmet + more, and pops on and off easily.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 05:37:16 AM by Shadow »
Pages: [1]