• March 29, 2024, 01:56:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SR/F Premium + Rapid Charger and Tesla destination charger  (Read 445 times)

enaef

• View Profile

I have the rapid charger now for two weeks.

Was it just bad luck or is there a basic problem with my configuration (SR/F Premium + Rapid Charger) and Tesla destination chargers?
I tried at least 4 different locations - it worked nowhere. Some just would not start, one started for a short while, going up to about 5 kW, then going down in a hurry and shutting up. Giving Code 31 Battery Module Inegible. Unfortunately I did not consult the manual in that situation and did not Key Off for 2 minutes and then try again. I did try again and a Key Off but without a waiting time of 2 minutes.

Anybody else with similar experiences or do Tesla-chargers work with your SR/F.

I did not try Tesla-Chargers before the installation of the rapid charger, so I can't say if that might be a factor.

2019 Zero SR/F Premium & Rapid Charger

siai47

• View Profile
Re: SR/F Premium + Rapid Charger and Tesla destination charger
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 09:42:50 AM »

I have a Tesla wall connector at my home.  It is the same EVSE that is used for Tesla destination chargers and it worked perfectly on my SR/F when connected to my 240 volt single phase power.  I have a Quick Charge Power brand adapter to convert the Tesla cable to the J1772 connector.  The thing that might be causing you a problem is that some of the destination chargers do use one leg of a 480V three phase system for their single phase power.  It's dependent on the building wiring voltage but this might be the case.  In a 240 volt three phase system you only get 208 volts single phase and Tesla would like to get a higher voltage if it is possible for the destination chargers.  480 volt three phase ends up providing 277 nominal volts at the connector and that might be too much voltage for the Zero's internal chargers.  The Tesla internal chargers are designed to accept 277 volts without issue but I am sure many BEV's cannot accept that high of an input voltage.

I would try some different destination chargers to see if you can find one that works for you.  I doubt that many of them would be on 277 volts but it could just be the luck of the draw in your case.  You could also send an e-mail to Zero support and see if they can give you an upper limit on the voltage that the charger can accept.   
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 09:44:38 AM by siai47 »
1979 Honda CBX
2009 Aprilia Cube 250 Scooter
2016 Victory Empulse TT
2019 Can-Am Spyder
2020 SR/F (retired)

daniels1216

• Zero Motorcycle SR/S premium
    • View Profile
Re: SR/F Premium + Rapid Charger and Tesla destination charger
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 10:20:27 AM »

I have the zero Sr/s and I had a similar experience. Purchased the moto in March and would consistently get error 31 with the bike unable to take charge. I was able to charge only at random attempts and when the dealer would charge it would work without error, so the issue went undiagnosed for months. Until I got on emails with support at zero motorcycles dot com and they read the logs and relayed a reference number to the dealer. The bikes charger was faulted so the dealer ordered 1 new charging unit (just 1 even though I have the premium). They replaced it and the randomness of charger taking hold was solved, but now I was only getting 2.8kw max charging (when max should be upwards of 5.8kw). Long story short, the dealer didn’t plug the second charger into the MBB so more service was required and now I’m a happy camper. I wish u luck.
10 year daily motorcycle rider, lifelong B.M.X. rider, and lifelong academic advocating for smart transportation in California
Pages: [1]